• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Imported DNG files from a Google Pixel 7 Phone do not have Adobe Raw Profiles

Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dng files I import from a Pixel 7 phone do not have the Adobe Raw profiles available, they only have the profiles that JPGs have. This has started happening since the latest Google update in December 2023, and appears to occur on all Lightroom platforms, Classic, Lightroom, Lightroom Mobile for Android etc.  Previously Lightroom was able to handle DNG files from my Pixel phone  with these profiles available. 

Can anyone throw any light on this? Is it a Lightroom problem or a Google issue?

Thanks for any help!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

This was missed over the holiday. A bug was logged, but the thread wasn't updated. 

The next release will have an update to accommodate Google's EXIF Lens name change. 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
54 Comments
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select one of the problem DNGs. In the Metadata panel, select the DNG tagset in the dropdown menu at the top of the panel. Does it say Mosaic Data: Yes or Mosaic Data: No?

If it says No, then whatever app took the pic created it as a non-raw "linear" DNG (like a TIFF or JPEG), and it will have just two non-raw profiles available in the Develop Basic panel, Color and Monochrome. Which app took the photo?

If it says Yes, then the DNG is a raw DNG (containing the raw sensor data, aka the Color Filter Array data, aka Mosaic data) and should have the Adobe profiles Color, Landscape, Portrait, Standard, and Vivid available.  In this case, upload a sample photo to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here. We can take a look at the issue in detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John for your help. I have checked the DNG tagset set for two photos, both taken at the same time, and both have Mosaic data set to yes. Here are the photos.

This photo -  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mxcwev4tLwtF0jD0WoLQZnwOwkJwAhEW/view?usp=drive_link -has all the profiles available for raw files, and was taken on a Google Pixel 7 using the latest Google Camera app, but using the front selfie lens.

This photo -https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mvXiSHi8WKDH6_TeD6SBB1ea5I5FqKXD/view?usp=drive_link -  was taken with the back lens, and although it is a dng file the same as the first photo there are only Pixel and Pixel Monochrome options for the Profiles.

It appears that the photos taken with different lenses are different in some way. 

I contacted Google initially with this issue and they directed me to Adobe. Hmmm. 

I would be grateful to learn what you can find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very curious. LR provides profiles for both cameras on the back (Ultrawide and Wide):

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html#Google

The .dcp files are present in the LR 13.1 distribution:

johnrellis_0-1702797186924.png

Camera Raw also shows just the Google Pixel and Google Pixel Monochrome profiles.

Do you observe the same bad behavior with a full 50 megapixel image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2023 Dec 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'm not sure how to take a full 50mp photo. 

However I took some photos today, after importing them into Lightroom classic, the first seven DNGs had the full Adobe RAW profiles, after that the remaining photos did not, just having the Pixel and Monochrome profiles. All the photos were taken in the same way, with no changes.  Check out these two, one has the RAW profiles and the other does not.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yy7OPT22El4sf5FWsbIy3myu8lCRpClP/view?usp=drive_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p0YLMbvQFcYvymQoywZfxXAFjOdFYQGz/view?usp=drive_link

As you say, very curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm not sure how to take a full 50mp photo. "

Turns out you can't -- the label "50 MP" is misleading consumer marketing from Google:

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/198541746/photos-only-at-12-5-mp-pixel-7-pro?hl=en#:~:t....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first link is for a JPEG, not a DNG. Can you post the DNG?

I'm fairly expert in photo metadata in general, not so much in DNG. If we can get two DNGs from your last session, then I can try to persuade Adobe to upgrade this to a bug report that gets inserted into their queue for investigation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography, please consider filing this is a bug report.

This small catalog contains 3 DNGs from the Google Pixel 7, taken in the last few days.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ss4qxaihnftkm7/pixel-7-dng.2023.12.17.zip?dl=0

In Develop, two DNGs show the Adobe camera profiles as well as two Google profiles embedded in the files, while one just shows the two embedded Google profiles. That appears to be a bug -- shouldn't they all show the Adobe profiles?

The files:

front.dng: Front camera
back-wide.dng: Back camera with Lens: Pixel 7 back camera 6.81mm f/1.9

back-ultrawide.dng: Back camera with Lens: Pixel 7 back camera 2.35mm f/2.2

Metadata > DNG> Mosaic Data is Yes for all three.

I observe similar behavior with Camera Raw 16.1. Tested on LR 13.1 / Mac OS 14.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, here are the two DNG files.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17a-qr1GpKvTs24VSUjRQN8tvYxMiFhYT/view?usp=drive_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p0YLMbvQFcYvymQoywZfxXAFjOdFYQGz/view?usp=drive_link

The photo in the first link has no Adobe Raw profiles, the photo in the second link does have the full Raw profiles. They were take one after the other.

thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any updates on this? noticed same started happening for me on pixel 6 pro. was using adobe standard before as the pixel profiles had some artificial colours at times, maybe they are better now though...

also google helpfully changed the file naming of jpg and raw so they're no longer able to be recognised as related by lightroom 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Lightroom Classic (13.1) no longer recognizes (or asigns) Google Pixel 6 colour profiles (native Adobe or custom) for .DNG (RAW) files. Problem started with Google Camera 9.2.13.585804376.14 (about a month ago).

first image now, second - before camera update (about month ago)

2.png1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The appearance of the two images you posted are a bit out of order as initially seen. Might be my browser. Smaller one shows up to the left, tall one to the right. If I click on them, then smaller one top, taller on bottom.

So, assuming the smaller one that is clearly the Profile panel, what happens if you click on Browse?

As for the second one. With all those various cameras, I do not think that is a listing of camera matching profiles, typically you only see those belonging with the camera in question. Are those third party profile presets? Are those camera matching that got marked as favorites (but then again why showing up if the camera in question is not what they belong with). I am a bit more than confused to what that is from, and not at a computer to experiment on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smaller one - no Adobe or custom colour profiles, no profiles in Browser also, new .DNG files (Google Camera 9.2.13.585804376.14;

Bigger one, .DNG files from older Google Camera version, before 9.2.13.585804376.14.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no more Adobe Standart, Vivid, Portrait, Lanspace to Pixel 6 .DNG files taken with latest Google Camera 9.2.13.585804376.14. Other presets are custom for Pixel 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af10shldAcU

or something like that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is not missing profiles, i just open older .dng from Pixel 6 and all are there, only new ones .dng, no profiles. So google changed sometging in .dng files and Adobe Lithroom no longer recognizes them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you watch that video, a issue exists where profiles go missing, the video shows how to make them reappear. Some things in LrC can go missing due to user error, an accidental click on something. This one might be an oddity that some members have tripped over not of their fault.

Hm, re-read your last. Stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at a computer, so I cannot run this thru to remember the correct steps. Some of this might be wrong. Not the process, but the steps, the words.

Select a photo that behaves, in the Develop module, in the menu bar, copy the settings, selecting profile for the setting to copy. Select a misbehaving photo, paste those setting in.

What happens?

oh, and good night

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2024-01-07_10-11.png

profile is missing, becouse Lightroom doesn't recognize Pixel 6 .dng  from Google Camera 9.2.13.585804376.14 as Pixel 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that attempt/test showed a very helpful error/result

/edit/ Following has shown to be of no value now that a sample from the OP can be tested

Some additional questions, then another test (or call it a what if)

First, in preference, the RAW Defaults, nothing odd correct? Currently  set to Adobe Default? Nothing fouling up say a profile in use.

1.png

And in the Import screen, right side, Apply During Import, no develop settings, no presets, correct? Nothing  a profile?adding

2.png

Then if both are those are negative, nothing odd, at defaults, then perhaps one addition test, call it a what if.

I will assume that in one of your problematic photos that some develop module editing was accomplished. Now what happens if in the Develop Module, in the History Panel, you select the first history state, then up in the menu bar you select /Develop/Clear History/ . Then you click on Reset. This bringing the edit state right down to none. Does the Profiles options still misbehave?

This all to see if a bad profile, perhaps a third party one, somehow got applied. This is probably a bit far fetched, but perhaps should be tested and eliminated as a possibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a bit disappointed that other members have not entered in to your discussion. If nothing else other than to say that some of my replies are full of it.

That being said, one thing some other members will ask for, especially in odd or difficult issues, is to ask for an example RAW file that they can bring into their computer to test in their LrC. One of your RAW files would be better for this than downloading some sample from some web page.

so, can you place one of your problematic RAW files on some cloud share such as DropBox, and provide a link? If you are worried about private info, then take a new photo of nothing important, test it (as to make sure it fails) then share.

/edit/followup/

I have downlaoded a sample from:

https://discuss.pixls.us/t/shooting-raw-with-the-google-pixel-6/30721

and brought that into a test catalog, LrC v13.1. In this experriment, I do not have any such problem

3.png

In the screenshot above, I did expand the profiles to see the camera matching profiles, etc. no issue.

But that sample would not account for any OS updates on your smartphone, anything Google may have fouled up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inquiry

The information I can find online about your smartphone is very very lacking.

I was searching to understand the RAW format options in your Smartphone. Is DNG the RAW format, and are their options for compression of that RAW file. And can any settings in camera be applied that Adobe might have an issue with.

Also, what was the last OS update, and is their a link to a document on the WEB describing what changed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s5Nk2tHlmkZmc7MjETYO7-_VvVrxx7_3/view?usp=sharing from Google Camera 9.2.13.585804376.14, https://discuss.pixls.us/t/shooting-raw-with-the-google-pixel-6/30721 - there is old .dng, with old Google camera versions there is no any problems with profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I immeditatly see the issue in that example. That is the Profile issue shows up

4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm, snooping around in the Library module, looking at the metadata. What is this bit in the filed labeled Software? Is this from a setting in camera in smartphone that perhaps got added or was previously not used by you? Is this metadata field different from the earlier photos that behave?

5.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it just Google HDR+ version: https://blog.research.google/2021/04/hdr-with-bracketing-on-pixel-phones.html?m=1, it always changing prior to Google Camera updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate