• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: (GPU) Develop/Edit view & Export artifacts after 14.4.1 Update (AMD-only) (affects Cr, LrC & LrD)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since just now, I've been experiencing a weird bug / crash in Lightroom Classic (on a Mac), where ALL my photos suddenly are fully covered in artefacts in the Develop module.

lightroom develop module.jpg

(Screengrab from the Develop module in Lightroom Classic)

When I check the linked RAW + JPEG source files in Finder, they all seem ok (they don't look corrupted, nor show any artefacts here), meaning the issue is within Lightroom.

raw source file.jpg

(Screengrab from the RAW source file in Finder)

When I export images out of Lightroom (with any setting, edited or even not edited), the artefacts are also present on the export files.

export.jpg

(Screengrab from the exported JPG image)

This problem started occuring soon after I applied the new AI noise reduction feature on just ONE (1) photo. 

I already tried:

• Closing and re-opening Lightroom
  • Shutting down (fully), and restarting the computer after 1 minute
  • Switching the GPU accelrator setting in Lightroom on/off

MY SPECS

• Lightroom Classic 13.0.1 - Build (202310121438-d2af310c)
  • Macbook Pro 16" - 2019
  • 2,3Ghz 8-core Intel Core i9
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB 
  • 32GB 2667MHz DDR4 memory
  • OS Sonoma 14.4.1

Any help would be greatly appreciated, because this makes the whole software unusable....

Thank you!

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

We're investigating an issue with the macOS 14.4.1 update that affects systems running AMD series GPUs. 

The issue manifests as garbling of/artifacts in images in Develop/Edit views and similar artifacts in Exported images.  The problem can afflict Camera Raw (16.2.1), Lightroom Classic (13.2) and Lightroom Desktop (7.2).  Restarting the application should restore your Develop/Edit view and return you to the expected Export results. 

The team is working with the OS manufacturer to identify t

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 121 Replies 121
121 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Lightroom Classic 13.0.1"

Update to the latest version of LR, 13.2 by doing the menu command Help > Updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue where theres this weird glitch/noise on top of my photos. I've tried re-importing, closing the software and reopening. The thumbnails show up regularly on the filmstrip previewer at the bottom. I've included two screenshots of example photos - is this just a setting I'm missing or is there a bug/is somthing corrupted? This appears to be happening to all my photos when they load in, including old photos that I have had in lightroom already. Anyone know what's going on?

Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 11.42.21 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-04-22 at 11.45.32 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2024 Apr 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of a few months ago, my coworkers and I started having problems on our Intel-chip Macs where -- when editing raw-format images in Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) -- the image preview displays in a corrupted manner making it very hard to apply edits and preview edits in real time (see screen shot).  This is not happening when using ACR on my new M3-chip MacBook Pro.  The actual raw files are not corrupted and open just fine and the edits applied in ACR are showing up as applied when the files are opened in Photoshop or exported from ACR to other formats. 

It's only the working preview image that is displaying as corrupted and this happens with DNG files and with native camera files (CR2, NEF, etc.) and only when using ACR on Macs with Intel-chips like the Core i9. 

I've tried cycling through the different video card options (OpenGL and the like) to see if turning things on/off would resolve the problem on those Macs.  I've also tried changing my memory allocation and scratch disk settings.  No joy.

The initial view of the selected images is fine.  The corrupted preview image happens only after non-exposure changes are made (for example, using the scaling/crop tool or the tools for correcting parallax).  This seems to be a bug with ACR where it wasn't tested adequately on with non M-series Macs.

Is anyone else running into this?    corrupted ACR preview on Intel-chip Maccorrupted ACR preview on Intel-chip Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does happen now and then. Does restarting the computer fix it? I suspect that you are running out of either RAM or VRAM on the video card. You might also get white previews in ACR and failure to properly enhance images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm only seeing this on our Intel Macs and only in the last month or so after one of the ACR updates was pushed out.  We have 64 GB of RAM on most of those Intel Macs.  Restarting doesn't help.  Closing everything but Photoshop and Bridge doesn't help.  Changing memory allocation and video driver settings doesn't improve the situation. 

Not having any problems with my M3 chip Mac, so it seems as if the developers have made some change to ACR that doesn't play well with the Intel-based Macs.  We are not in a position to replace multiple Intel-based Macs for several years, so this is a serious problem for us.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Intel MBP at work and an M1 at home, and I have seen this on the MBP a few times, hence my post with personal experience. Have you disabled the integrated video card? That seems to cause all sorts of problems as well.

My gut feeling is that its VRAM but I only cared about a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the replies and the suggestions, but I've tried everything including disabling the integrated video card and re-starting the machines between changes to the video and memory settings -- just to be extra vigilant to make sure that I was starting with a clean slate each time.   While disabling the video card can often temporarily resolve the corrupted ACR image preview, as soon as I'm back in Photoshop from ACR and try to use many tools like Liquify and certain Transform and live object edits in my PSD file then I'm out of luck until I re-check the box in the Photoshop Settings panel to use the video card again.  That's created a serious productivity hit having to constantly turn the video card back on and off dozens of times.

This happens with our work Intel Macs (which have all sorts of corporate-mandated software running in the background that I cannot disable because they are managed machines) and with my personal Intel Mac at home (which has different security products installed and running in the background) and I have complete Admin management on.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only seen it happen twice on my work machine and restarting fixed the issue. That's all I have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your replies.  I've submitted a bug report to Adobe.   My wife is having the same issues with her Intel Mac as well and she's running an earlier version of macOS (Ventura), so that rules out macOS Sonoma as the cause.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows, video cards and drivers are a huge headache. The Mac has avoided that, I suppose its much easier to test a limited set of hardware which is mostly from AMD. Yours is I believe the first post about this in these forums so hopefully its not a widespread issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is now doing this  same thing. Wondering if you found a fix? Mine is already updated to latest version. I'm stumped. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@caseyd49971034, please do the LR menu command Help > System Info and copy/paste the entire contents here so we can see exactly which versions of hardware and software LR thinks you're running and important LR options that are set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue: 

There are artifacts on all Raw files in the Lightroom viewer and exported photos (See pictures below)

Lighroom version Number : 7.2

The Issue just apeared a few days ago, so i wouldnt know how to replicate it. I already closed and opened Lightroom many times and did a full un- and reinstall.

Thank you for any help!

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 16.59.29.pngScreenshot 2024-04-26 at 16.59.29.pngScreenshot 2024-04-26 at 17.10.26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently, when working on photos in Develop mode, the image display does not work anymore and the photos look like abstract art. The photos show correctly in the Library. Closing and restarting LC does not solve it and I have to restart my MacBook Pro. I am running Senoma 14.4.1 and LC and the OS are up to date. 

Here a screenshot of how it appears. Any ideas of what causes it?

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 12.23.16 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off the Graphics acceleration in LrC: PReferences->Performance->set Use Graphics Processor to OFF

If that works, you may have an old or malfunctioning GPU, or the driver could be bad.

Please tell us what make and model your GPU is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this happen again yesterday, restarting fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been a number of similar reports recently, all from Mac I think. As dj_paige suggested, please do the LR menu command Help > System Info and copy/paste the entire contents here so we can see exactly which versions of hardware and software LR thinks you're running and important LR options that are set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so in the meantime I updated to LR 13.2. This didn't fully seem to solve the problem, altough the problem occured only on random times instead of all the time.

But, I've been trying some more things as well, and I think I found a solution now (@caseyd49971034 😞

• Go to "preferences" -> "Performance", and under "Camera RAW Cache settings": "Purge cache"
  • Also, under "Performance": set "Use Graphics Processor" to "Custom" instead of "Auto", and then: only "Use GPU for display", and not "Use GPU for image processing".
  • This, in combination with the upgrade to LR 13.2 seems to solve the issue for me.... (for now)

@johnrellis: Btw, this is the complete system info from LR:

Lightroom Classic version: 13.2 [ 202402141005-bf1aeb84 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Mac OS 14
Version: 14.4.1 [23E224]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 2,3GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 32.768,0 MB
Dedicated GPU memory used by Lightroom: 688,7MB / 8.176,0MB (8%)
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32.768,0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 916,5 MB (2,7%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 49.931,6 MB
Memory cache size: 216,2MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 16.2 [ 1763 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 22MB / 16383MB (0%)
Camera Raw real memory: 24MB / 32768MB (0%)

Cache1:
Preview1- RAM:22,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, DSCF8811.RAF
NT- RAM:22,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, Combined:22,0MB

Cache2:
T- RAM:0,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, Combined:0,0MB

Cache3:
m:216,2MB, n:37,6MB

U-main: 88,0MB

Standard Preview Size: 6016 pixels
Displays: 1) 6016x3384

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
Init State: GPU for Export supported by default
User Preference: GPU for Display Enabled

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Users/hyundegrande/Pictures/Lightroom/lightroom classic_HDG01-v13.lrcat
Settings Folder: /Users/hyundegrande/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in
3) Flickr
4) Nikon Tether Plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reports are coming in about this happening in camera RAW as well. I've had it happen on a 2019 MBP in ACR, fixed by restarting the computer. I suspect running low on RAM/VRAM but I don't know.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-discussions/corrupt-acr-previews-on-intel-macs/m-p/1457902...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M"

That's a five-year-old GPU, relatively old in GPU-land. There have been lots of reports in the last year or two of LR problems with older AMD GPUs on Mac and Windows. Most likely these issues are caused by bugs in the AMD graphics drivers. Unfortunately, on Mac you have to wait for AMD to supply a new driver to Apple and then for Apple to release it in a new version of Mac OS.

So disabling or partially disabling the GPU is the only option in the short term. Note that if you observe bad symptoms with LR's AI commands (AI masking, Denoise, Lens Blur) disabling the GPU in Preferences won't have any effect -- Adobe doesn't allow the GPU to be disabled for the AI commands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My work MBP has a Radeon 5300M card. So yeah its entirely possible that the latest driver update is having issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the link to the earlier post. I suspect my MacBook is the problem, and this might just give me the justification to buy a new one 😉

Here my system details:

Lightroom Classic version: 13.2 [ 202402141005-bf1aeb84 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-AU
Operating system: Mac OS 14
Version: 14.4.1 [23E224]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 2.3GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 16,384.0 MB
Dedicated GPU memory used by Lightroom: 83.0MB / 4,080.0MB (2%)
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16,384.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 809.6 MB (4.9%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 44,970.3 MB
Memory cache size: 81.4MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 16.2 [ 1763 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 417MB / 8191MB (5%)
Camera Raw real memory: 419MB / 16384MB (2%)

Cache1:
Preview1- RAM:15.0MB, VRAM:0.0MB, 20240426-UEK_2367.NEF
Preview2- RAM:15.0MB, VRAM:0.0MB, 20240426-UEK_2366.NEF
Preview3- RAM:15.0MB, VRAM:0.0MB, 20240426-UEK_2368.NEF
NT- RAM:45.0MB, VRAM:0.0MB, Combined:45.0MB

Cache2:
final1- RAM:352.0MB, VRAM:0.0MB, 20240426-UEK_2530.NEF
T- RAM:352.0MB, VRAM:0.0MB, Combined:352.0MB

Cache3:
m:81.4MB, n:76.5MB

U-main: 112.0MB

Standard Preview Size: 1440 pixels
Displays: 1) 2560x1440, 2) 3584x2240

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
Init State: GPU for Image Processing supported by default
User Preference: Auto

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Users/ulrike/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom Catalog-v13.lrcat
Settings Folder: /Users/ulrike/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in
3) Flickr
4) Nikon Tether Plugin
5) Topaz Photo AI

Config.lua flags: None

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I turned it off and will monitor if it happens again. I posted my system info in my reply to @johnrellis 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M"

Some of those other reports are for the 5500M and 5300M. It could be that the recent release of Mac OS included a new (buggy) driver from AMD.  

In the other thread, the poster observed that setting Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to Custom / Use GPU For Display worked around the issue. That's likely to be somewhat faster than setting it to Off.

Votes

Translate

Translate