• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Map Search is not returning a result

Explorer ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom Classic on an M3 Macbook Pro running OS X 14.5. Since upgrading to Lightroom 13.3, searching in the Map module seems to have stopped working. When I enter a search location and hit Enter, the message "Searching" pops up for a moment, then disappears. The map remains unchanged; it does not move or place a marker at the searched-for location.

I am able to apply GPS coordinates successfully from Saved Locations. I'm able to use Google Maps in a browser without problems (so I know that my network connection to Google Maps isn't getting blocked). I have tried the "Switch to Library, then quit Lightroom, then re-open Lightroom" procedure that was a fix for some Map problems in earlier versions, but that doesn't resolve the issue. Multiple restarts of Lightroom have not resolved the problem.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1. Open Lightroom

2. Switch to the Map module.

3. Type in a findable location in the search field.

4. Hit Enter

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR

Map should shift to display the requested location and indicate its position with a marker.

ACTUAL BEHAVIOR

The message "Searching" appears for a moment, then disappears. The map remains unchanged.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

I've checked Mac and Windows and can't get a search result either. I've logged an issue with the team. Thanks for the report!

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Hi all,

We are happy to announce the release of Lightroom Classic 13.3.1, which incorporates the fix for this particular problem. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Lightroom Classic to 13.3.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Lightroom Classic. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
66 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've checked Mac and Windows and can't get a search result either. I've logged an issue with the team. Thanks for the report!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When entering a place, city or anying in the search box on the Map there is no response whatseover. Its as if its been turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 25, 2024 May 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I am having the exact same issue.  Using Mac mini with M1 chip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 26, 2024 May 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Briefly shows "searching" but nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just discovered - I'm having same problem (Windows 11)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue on a new iMac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here on Windows 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it happened hundreds of times before, I want to add GPS coordinates to my pictures. But the search dialog is not working. After entering, e.g., city name, I see for a very short time a "searching" message on the bottom of the map, and nothing happens.

In contrast, when clicking a map symbol on a picture with GPS coordinates, the MAP module shows the correct location. 

The bug I first time mentioned on the V13 release, but it is continued on V13.3.

MacOS 14.5, M1 Max.

Any ideas?

Regards, Tomek

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The bug I first time mentioned on the V13 release, but it is continued on V13.3."

Do you have a link to that post? It would be good to merge it here. I can't find it:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location,authorId&q=map&location...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with 13.3.  I am runing Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS 14.5 / LR Classic 13.3

Same here....search not working at all. It did work shortly after I have updated to LR 13.3. But later it stopped working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't make sense. I have this issue.  But I never close Lr while in map, or any mode other than library.  I tried restarting Lr. Surprise, it worked. Once.   I moved to my next set of image. Maps once again didnt' work. I did not close Lr. I just  moved to the next set of images.  Restarted again. No response.  
Maps is officially dead. How do we fix this?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maps works fine for me. Describe (or better yet, show us a screen capture) of what you see and provide us with any error message. Tell us your operating system version NUMBER and Lightroom Classic version NUMBER. We need the version NUMBER and not words like "latest" or "up-to-date".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maps show. It's the search bar that doesn't work. I put in the address. But
it won't search. I can physically pull the map to the correct location and
tag them that way.
But I cover a huge area when I'm shooting. So this is very slow and
cumbersome. As I shoot from 10 to 20 properties a day. Over a very large,
largely rural area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tonya20624874I asked for certain information, little of which you provided. I can't help without that information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What information specifically would you like me to provide? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr Classic subscription...up to date. V 25.9 updated six days ago. (about when this problem started).
I don't get any error reports. When I input the address. Nothing happens. Nothing at all.  
What I can do is physically drag the map to the proper location and tag that way.  But as I stated earlier. This is slow and combersome.  
Map-.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@tonya20624874, as you might have seen at the top of the merged thread, Adobe has acknowledged this bug that was introduced in LR 13.3.

An inconvenient workaround: Search for the location in Google Maps in a browser. Click on the map, and the GPS coordinates will show at the bottom:

johnrellis_0-1716935416114.png

Copy the coordinates and paste them into the Map module's search box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No thanks. That is unreasonably unweildy.  It's actually simpler for me to just drag the map in Lr to the location required. Let me make this clear. It is still ridiculously cumbersome.  
Has Adobe give us any idea as to when they will fix this?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photographyhas logged this issue with the developers, so I think we have to hope that they will come up with a fix for this fairly quickly. As it's a showstopper issue affecting a quite significant component of the software -- it makes the entire Map module largely unusable -- I would expect them to assign it a high priority.

I don't know if this affects every Lightroom user, but the sheer number of people reporting this makes me think it's an across-the-board bug rather than one affecting just some unlucky subset of the userbase. To be honest, I'm surprised that it passed internal smoke-testing before release. We know that this release included a fix for a somewhat similar but less catastrophic bug in the Map module, and the obvious assumption is that this bug is related to that. I would have expected that the fact that changes were being made to the Map module would have led Adobe's QA team to test that part of the application even more thoroughly before release. For whatever reason, however, it looks as if they didn't identify this particular bug during their tests.

However, they've been able to reproduce the issue internally, large numbers of users have confirmed that they've seen it across multiple environments, and it affects a significant piece of functionality in an unambiguous way. These are pretty good prerequisites for getting developer attention, so I'm optimistic that the team are working hard on it and will roll out a bugfix as soon as they can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Copy the coordinates and in LR, select a dummy photo, and paste the coordinates into the GPS field of the Metadata > Location panel. Go to the Map module and double click the photo in the filmstrip, and the map will move to that location."

Tanks John! Yes that is inconvenient, but for me much faster thank dragging the map around. That even work with me when I put the coordinates into the search field, without a dummy photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Let me make this clear. It is still ridiculously cumbersome."

So I think you agree with my description that it is "very inconvenient".

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@henningmet, "That even work with me when I put the coordinates into the search field, without a dummy photo."

Excellent -- directly pasting the decimal-degree format Google uses, e.g. 

39.095341, -120.038324

is indeed more convenient than using a dummy photo. Note that pasting the clunky degrees-minutes-seconds formatting that the LR Metadata panel uses (and no one else in real life uses):

39°5'42.8754" N 120°2'16.9574" W

doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate