• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Profile for Canon RF 24- 105mm F2.8 L IS USM Z has edge artifacts

Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just aquired newly released Canon RF24-105mm F2.8 IS USM Z lens. A profile for correction for this lens is on the list of lenses added in December 2023.  Applying the Distortion Correction profile in LR Classic and Photoshop Camera Raw produces edge artifact instead of improving distortion. At the edges, the image shows a pattern of stripes perpendicular to the edge and extending about 5% inward. This artifact occurs in LR 13.1 and Photoshop 25.3.1 with Camera Raw 16.1. It disappears if I deselect Profile Corrections. It is not present when I view the image with other software like the Windows photo viewer FastPictureViewer or in Canon's Digital Photo Professional, so it's specific to LR Classic or Camera Raw 16.1 with Distortion Correction turned on and not due to a problem with the CR3 raw files. If I force use of a profile for a different lens, the artifact disappears. That is perhaps a useful verification that the native profile is bad, but using a mismatched profile isn't going to fix distortion. Turning off GPU acceleration has no effect. See attached JPG screenshot. I'll post in Windows forum but suspect the issue is not limited to Windows.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Greetings all,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products have been released.  The February 2024 updates contain an update for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for being so patient.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
36 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible for you to share a sample raw file with us that exhibits the issue?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick reply. I am happy to do so, however, the website won't accept the file. I first tried to upload a file shot with the Canon EOS R5, but it was rejected because its size exceeded Adobe's website limit of 47 KB. Then, I tried to upload a file shot on the Canon EOS R3, which has a lower resolution sensor and smaller files. The size was OK, but the website rejected that one, saying that there was a mismatch between the file extension (CR3/Raw File) and its contents. It was just a RAW file; I can't account for that error message. Please let me know if there is some other way to get the file to you. 

To complete the post, if I can somehow get the file to you and you open it in Develop Mode, I suggest you add lens corrections, and then view full screen in Library. The artifact will be plainly seen, particularly along the left edge. Having now seen the problem with CR3 files from both the R5 and the R3, it has to be the lens and the lens profile not just a one off corrupt file or a one camera issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can put the raw photo on Dropbox or any similar service; and then provide the link in your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In reply to dj_paige, although I am aware of the use of Dropbox or Google Drive for this purpose, I was hoping for a way to transfer it privately instead of posting a link that anyone can access. I will wait to hear from Rikk about whether he can provide such a method. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, I used Adobe's private messaging to send you a link to two RAW files. Did you receive it? If not, please let me know if there is some other way to get you the files besides posting a link in a public forum. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've grabbed the files and will forward them to the Camera Raw team for review. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the test file. The Camera Raw team has confirmed the bad behavior and we've logged a bug for a fix for this profile in a future release. 

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear. Many thanks for getting this into the bug fix queue so promptly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I bought the rf 24-105mm F2.8 lens from canon R6 and I'm experiencing some glitch effect (stripes) on the side of the image. (file is attached). It only appears when using the lens correction profile for the 24-105mm 2.8.

I have a canon R6.

It is visible on every focal length. I already went back to the store and tried another lens and even a combination with a canonR6mk2 and the lens from the store. 

Is anyone facing the same problem or does someone have a solution? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope I don't have to wait a month for the correction of this bug which, in fact, makes the 24-105 F/2.8 lens unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lens is eminently usable. You just have to uncheck "Enable Profile Corrections" in the Lens Corrections Panel of Develop in LR or Camera Raw. If you don't apply the correction, no artifact is introduced, and the image is normal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the very hi distortion of this lens.... 

I would like don't use before Canon DPP, save in DMG and then open in Camera Raw. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I aqm having the same issue with my RF 24-105 2.8. Mine only happens if the image was shot in Portrait format. I am hoping this is a Lightroom/Photoshop issue rather than a lens problem. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also running into this issue. Does anyone use Capture One with this lens? I need to use this lens for some work and would hate to wait for Adobe to figure things out... we all know how long that could take.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same camera, same lens, same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with R5 and RF24-105 2.8 - I just realized now that it is related to the profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on when this lens profile will be fixed? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to report a bug in Camera Raw/Lr "Lens Profile Corrections" in which when using the new Canon RF 24-105 2.8 Z lens and having this lens correction enabled, there ends up being a distortion/artifact/banding around images once you get them into Camera Raw or Lr. I am using the Canon EOS R3 with the brand new Canon RF 24-105 2.8 Z lens (which came out a couple weeks ago) and images taken with this combo show the distortion or banding around the borders. This issue has been reported in many of the Adobe community forums and I believe updates were made to certain lenses to correct the issue but maybe since the RF 24-105 2.8 Z lens is brand new, either Adobe is unaware the same issue is happening to this new lens or the lens is just not supported as of yet in updates. I have a sample image to upload so you can see the distortion. I am using all the latest versions of Camera Raw and Ps. Using Mac Os.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This defect has been acknowledged by Adobe as a bug specific to the Lens Distortion profile for this lens. It was newly added to the Camera Raw 16.1 and LR Classic 13.1 updates in December 2023 just as the lens began to ship. Supposedly, Adobe will issue a bug fix. (See post from Rikk Flohr in this thread). If you turn off the profile, there's no artifact. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Same problem for me, R6 Mark I + Canon RF24-105mm F2.8 IS USM Z , artifacts appears from 41mm and above.

Here is the workaround which works for me until the fix (Lightroom 13.1)

1. In Library :

- import your image

- select the images with Lens and Focal Length filter

2. In Develop module : 

- Enable sync button

- Crop tool

- Enable Constrain to Image

Remove the artifact part, you loose few pixels in the process, but it doesn't seem to affect your original framing (really strange).

Don't forget to disable sync after !

Bests

canonRF-24-105f2.8-library.jpg

canonRF-24-105f2.8.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera RAW 16.1.1 from End of Jan 2024 did not fix the issue. Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-26 um 08.26.24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any developments on this? It's been 6 weeks, and yet it's still happening in Lr and Camera Raw. Seems unique to this lens and not sure why it isn't resolved yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Profile apparently fixed in latest Camera Raw update (16.1.1), but not in LR Classic as yet. If you bypass LR & open the raw file directly into Photoshop's Camera Raw, activating the profile does not introduce edge artifact. LR Classic's Develop module is Camera Raw, but it's a built-in version rather than the free standing and separately updateable Camera Raw shared by Photoshop & some other Adobe applications. LR won't lose the artifact until Adobe issues an update of LR that includes the improved version of Camera Raw. Hopefully, that will be the next LR update, but only Adobe knows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the interim, a solution I have found is to check the box "Constriain Crop" under the Transform tab. This will phisically crop off the problematic portion to each image, resulting in s a very slightly smaller image overall. I've found this works perfectly when applied as a batch to all images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else having problems with the lens profile corrections in Ligtroom for the new Canon RF 24-105 f2.8? I'm getting crazy banding (looks like colored rectangles) along the edge of the frame with the lens profile corrections turned on. It seems to affect pictures taken at the longer side of the zoom range, wide angle photos are fine. I have the latest lightroom updates.

The issue looks so blocky that I'm thinking it's a simple bug that can be fixed. I tried editing the same photos in a Adobe Raw and had no problems. The issue only appears in LR and RAW images opened into Photoshop via LR.

Here's a link to a YouTube short i created that shows the problem https://www.youtube.com/shorts/j5K4U8MDcWA

Votes

Translate

Translate