• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom Classic: "Open as layers in Photoshop" function broken after update

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edit about 30 images per day by selecting the below command, within Lightroom Classic (recently updated):

PHOTO > EDIT IN > OPEN AS LAYERS IN PHOTOSHOP (also recently updated)

But after the most recent update of PS and LrC I have reliability lost this ability.  If I select 5 images in LrC and try to do the above, only about 1-2 images appear in my layered PS file as a layer, then a blank "LOAD LAYERS" layer appears (see attached) and one more image will open in a separate PS file and not a part of the layered file - then the import quits.

After I am done editing the layered file and when I save it - it will automatically save and load the modified layered file in LrC - which it does not do anymore. I was able to get it to work properly  couple times, but it always ends up giving me this problem about 80% of the time.

Obviously the only work around is for me to copy and past each layer individually and then manually save the file and import into my LrC catalog - which makes the process of editing images very inefficient when doing dozens of these edits per day.

I'm on a Macbook Pro, latest install of LrC and PS / most recent Catalina & have uninstalled/re-installed PS - again, I have edited hundreds of images like this prior to the recent updates and never had an issue so obviously it have something to do with the update, at least for me.

andrew

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
86 Comments
LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping this would be fixed with the PS 21.2.1 update but apparently not.  I can open 10 shot focus stack about half the time.  Just opening multiple files in Photoshop is still broken too.  Adobe controls both programs, they should have be able to iron this out after several years.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem.  The only solution I have found is to go to Photoshop and use the command under scripts load files as stack.  Works fine.  The latest update to Lightroom is when I started having this problem.  As described by others using open as layers in Photoshop, opens 3 or so and leaves a "load layers" layer and then opens one more in a separate window and then stops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heard from Adobe and they confirmed it is a bug in LR and will be fixed in the next release.  That is OK for me as I can use the previous version of PS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully they will also finally fix the LONG term bug of not all the files not opening when using "Edit in Adobe Photoshop .........."   

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it's not a bug on this end and it isn't a bug for all and that's one reason it is taking so long to fix IF the fix indeed is on Adobe's side. 
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm now seeing the same issue where only two images will open no matter how many selected, one as a layer, one without. 
Edit In PS OK, but as layers, not. 
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your update Andrew.  Its definitely random.  If it fails I just close the files in Photoshop and try again and then it sometimes works on exactly the same selection.  Tough bug to track probably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been officially reported so stay tuned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using current version of Lightroom Classic (v9.4) on MacOS Catalina, I can no longer select multiple photos and 'edit in photoshop as layers...'.   Photoshop 2020 (21.2.2) will open, and typically I will get the first image loaded as a layer (with correct title/label), a second layer will be empty and simply be titled 'load layer', and then instead of an additional layer, I may get one more photo open in a different Tab, as a background layer.  Any additional photos that were selected in Lightroom seem to be completely ignored.  Usually, I will select 2-4 photos that I am editing together as layers (i.e. focus stacking for example), but now, its a workflow disaster.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a version of PS and LR that will still allow for multiple layers to be stacked in Photoshop without these issues?

I am an astro photographer and usually stack images for star trails but when I select 30 images only 1-2 will load or Photoshop will automatically close on me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same problem since early July.  Loading multiple layers into PS from LR works ~1/2 the time.  Stalls as other have reported although sometimes early on and sometimes later in the process.  Have tried everything above to no avail!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The method from David Wilkins should help in the meantime. Select the images in Lightroom Classic and use Photo > Edit in Photoshop. Photoshop should open with those files (not in layers). Close any files you don't want in your new layered document. Then go to File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack. Click on Add Open Files, then OK. You should now have a file with layers for all of the images that were open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@linda_alschuler. Thank you.  Helpful!   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using LrC 9.4 and PS 21.2.2 on a PC. I have spent 12-15 hours over the last two days editing files from LrC as Layers in PS. Some up to 50 layers. 

Touch wood😀, I have had no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could affect how many images loaded as layers by freeing up RAM and increasing scratch disk space in PS. But I never could get all the way back to loading all 60 images in my test set as layers in PS. iMac with 32 GB of RAM, 24MP raw files, too many Topaz and On1 plugins loading into PS. LrC 9.3 and PS 21.2.0.

Based on Jim Robertson's report, maybe I'll update LrC and PS. But then I may run into the syncing bug of LrC 9.4 (cosmetic though)... Since updating didn't help Brad MacDonald, I'm not optimistic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linda, does the workaround you posted work with your 60-layer test set?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested Linda’s method yesterday (repeatedly) on 80 layers and it worked fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found my 67-image set and yes, the workaround works fine. (I don't know where I read about this several weeks ago. Maybe David and I both saw it there.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a huge problem for me professionally. I open multiple images as layers constantly for my work. Been doing so for over ten years. This is the first time this has been a problem. Same issues described above. Adobe needs to solve this pronto. Many of us work with Lightroom and Photoshop for a living. Hello, Adobe! You got my subscription out of me, now fix your stuff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I frequently use the "Edit In" > "Open as Layers in Photoshop" and then have to select all layers and auto-align every time. I would love to see a "Open as Auto-Aligned Layers in Photoshop" option added

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop 21.2.4 and Lightroom Classic 9.4. For the past few weeks I've been encountering problems when trying to open multiple photos as layers from Lightroom to Photoshop. Photoshop will usually import a few photos into on document and then it will just stop importing and whatever photo it get stuck on opens up in a different document and no other photos are loaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you on? Could it be that your drive is full? Temp file limitations? Dunno, just a hunch. Need more info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fix coming very soon...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since the last two updates, I have been unable to use the "Open as Layers" from Lightroom Classic to Photoshop. Sometimes it works and other times it does not. It will not open as layers and just opens them as separate files. This is really irritating and I can't get my work done in a timely manner. Please fix this before I lose my ever loving mind. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate