• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Camera Raw/Lightroom: Dehaze altering the color-balance/white-balance of photos

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As much as I love the Dehaze slider, there is one thing about it that I absolutely HATE and that is when it decides to go psycho in altering the color-balance/white-balance of photos.

These example photos may not show up (I've had issues with photos disappearing from being uploaded), but here is one pair from earlier today... the tint setting on WB is just 50k apart, one click on the arrow key.. but the difference is HUGE.

All settings are identical between the 2 photos, the only change was hovering the mouse over the WB tint slider and pressing the up/down key once.. changing from 5850k to 5800k

I often get similar shifts going from consecutive, continuous-high photos from frame to frame with the exact same settings, no changes in wb settings, and it all seems related to the dehaze slider and the way it analyzes the photos.

Years ago, I thought I actually had a defective camera, as the photos would change biggly even using the same exact settings 0.1sec apart.  Eventually, I tracked down the cause.  The programming of the Dehaze feature.

So, the problem I wish they could figure out is some way to get Dehaze to not do massive shifts in WB

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020
I've logged an issue with the Camera Raw team and attached your files, Doug. You can pull them offline if you like. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
41 Comments
Mentor ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was just now dealing with this issue too. I have an image which needs about +55 dehaze and as soon as my WB goes over 5500K, the image gets blasted by yellow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In experimenting a little more, setting Dehaze to -100 makes one image have a strong greenish cast, and pushing to +1-- gives it a strong magenta cast.  The other image, -11 gives a strong pink/orange cast, while pushing to +100 gives a strong cyan cast. Other images from the very same shoot don't behave this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+25 dehaze:
as soon as color temp goes from 5200 to 5250 the whole image shifts.
took hours to figure out where this comes from in my timelapse sequence.

Lightroom v10.1

camera raw v13.1

sony a7III .ARW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

looks like the adobe color profiles are to blame here! see this https://youtu.be/xb6UZsUEpSI?t=782

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this is still an issue in LrC11.1.   Any updates from the team @Rikk Flohr: Photography 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so now we're at the two year anniversary of this bug being acknowledged and we're still waiting for a fix. At least now we know that the bug is being provoked by the Adobe profiles. So frustrating that these bugs are allowed to persist for years and the users who generally suffer from them are the ones who depend on the software for getting their work done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Earth Oliver 

Extremely frustrating to take the time to document repeatable bugs and then never get a fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I have recorded a time lapse in which I manually controlled all the settings. After I import the images into Lightroom, all images look exactly the same. However, as soon as I edit an image and synchronize the settings to all images, some images appear that differ in color from the others. I have already tried everything and I am getting annoyed. Does anyone have an explanation for this error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try zeroing Dehaze on all the photos.  There was a bug in dehaze that would cause this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bob Somrak , do you know if there is a bug thread that is acknowledged by Adobe?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There used to be a long thread that I participated in but it was lost to the "bit bucke" in the merge of the two U2U forums.  I had a video showing the issue.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps this thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-bugs/p-camera-raw-lightroom-dehaze-altering-the-color-bala... 

It is in Camera Raw due to the underlying engine having the issue rather than Classic. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Rikk Flohr: Photography for the link.  That is the issue I was talking about.  

There was another thread but it is now gone which I was refering to in my answer to @DdeGannes 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/dehaze-love-it-and-hate-it?topic-reply-list[s...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, can you tell me if it has been solved or if the development team is working on it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@davix1010 

This is still happening in LrC 13.  I tried it on the same photo I show in my above post and it is doing the exact same thing.  I seriously doubt this will EVER be fixed. 

A workaround if you use large values of Dehaze is to use the LOCAL (mask) Temperature sliders because on my test file there is not a large change in the appearance of the image when using the Local Temp as opposed to the Global Temp.  It may not be solution for all photos but it does work on my test file.

Votes

Translate

Translate