• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom Classic: "Open as layers in Photoshop" function broken after update

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edit about 30 images per day by selecting the below command, within Lightroom Classic (recently updated):

PHOTO > EDIT IN > OPEN AS LAYERS IN PHOTOSHOP (also recently updated)

But after the most recent update of PS and LrC I have reliability lost this ability.  If I select 5 images in LrC and try to do the above, only about 1-2 images appear in my layered PS file as a layer, then a blank "LOAD LAYERS" layer appears (see attached) and one more image will open in a separate PS file and not a part of the layered file - then the import quits.

After I am done editing the layered file and when I save it - it will automatically save and load the modified layered file in LrC - which it does not do anymore. I was able to get it to work properly  couple times, but it always ends up giving me this problem about 80% of the time.

Obviously the only work around is for me to copy and past each layer individually and then manually save the file and import into my LrC catalog - which makes the process of editing images very inefficient when doing dozens of these edits per day.

I'm on a Macbook Pro, latest install of LrC and PS / most recent Catalina & have uninstalled/re-installed PS - again, I have edited hundreds of images like this prior to the recent updates and never had an issue so obviously it have something to do with the update, at least for me.

andrew

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
86 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5 images loaded fine for me from LRC, all the same specs as you except the 2019 iMac (64GB RAM). Try Onyx to rule out a corrupt cache or application state, instructions below (I was a Mac IT pro for 25 years). Run Onyx monthly to fix issues before they break stuff.

Download the free Onyx (https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html), select the Onyx version for your OS, download, run it, reboot.

In Onyx run almost everything in the Maintenance tab, deselecting things you may not want deleted, like Launch Services . Hit the "Options" button across from Internet and deselect more stuff like Cookies & Other Site Data, Browser History, Form Values, etc. (most of these are OFF by default). If you don’t know what something is, google it, or don’t run it, or ask me), then hit Run Tasks. After it's done it will ask for a reboot.

Also try to fix any directory damage by running Disk First Aid from Disk Utility: boot into Recovery Mode, (hold down Command-R when booting). When you're in Recovery Mode go to the Utilities menu and launch Disk Utility, say Repair Disk. When done go to Apple Menu for Startup disk and restart normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problems here either, MB Pro 2015 Catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is likely you need to reset your Photoshop and/or Lightroom preference files. They will survive an uninstall/reinstall.

• Close Each App
  • Open App with [Opt]+[Shift] held down 
  • Reset Preferences when prompted
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob Somrak reports the problem occurred for him once out of ten tries:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/quot-open-as-layers-in-photoshop-quot-function-in-l...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I ran Onyx, repaired my system directory, cleared both my PS and LrC prefs and still continue to get the issue. The only thing worked for me was quitting both programs after each edit, and it works about half the time. I re-installed an older version of PS (21.1.3) and  LrC (9.2.1) which didn't make much of a difference.

Seems like PS gets stuck with the Load Layers function and will just sometimes stop and leave me hanging.

Hope that a future version magically corrects this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I re-installed an older version of PS (21.1.3) and  LrC (9.2.1) which didn't make much of a difference.

Be sure to install LR first, THEN PS. The order can make a difference. 
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'll give that a try when I get a chance.  It seems that after a full system restart with the original pre-updated applications I am getting a much better rate of export success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was bad enough that the LONG term bug of "Open In Photoshop" sometimes opening only a portion of the files has never been fixed but now they have broken Open As Layers and this is even a worse problem.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, I forgot to mention that I works a LOT better and more ofter if I have Photoshop already loaded.  I also use TIFF as my Edit In preference and if I leave Compression OFF than it works.  Must be a bug in the Fix of the TIFF compression.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk
See my comment below.  I seems the Tiff Compression that was fixed in 9.3 is causing this issue for me.  I turned it OFF and I now it works more often when doing Open as Layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to know i'm not the only one...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Edit-In with compressed TIFF, read my last post above.  Turning compression OFF worked for me to improve the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I find this option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I find this option?

Preferences>External Editor. When you select a TIFF, you have an option for ZIP compression or None. 
Also consider doing the same IF you export a TIFF then have it imported back to the catalog, ditto for Photoshop preferences if the same. IOW, you probably want compression OFF anywhere you save a TIFF that may land back in LR. 
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it, thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, am having this problem. Only trying to open (edit in as layers) 4 photos. Hangs on the 2nd or 3rd one. Have tried multiple times. Got it to work 1 time, but hasn't since. Have closed & reopened both Lightroom and Photoshop repeatedly. Tried opening PS first, LR first. No difference. Tried edit in PS one photo at a time, 1st one opened fine, 2nd one seems to open but the PS progress bar hangs. Clicking the progress bar's Cancel button does nothing. Close the image, the stuck progress bar remains. Have to close PS to clear it.

TIFF and zip compression aren't set, so not the problem.

I'm on a mid-2012 MacBook Air 8mb running Mojave. Slow, yes, fans crank up often in LR, but this worked just fine before the most recent updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried turning off TIFF compression but I'm still facing the same issues. Any other solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went back to an older version of PS & LR and its much more stable for me now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Contacting adobe support, and via remote desktop they deleted/resetted the settings filed, which worked for an edit or two, but the problem is back. Pretty annoying issue. On a 2014 MBP running Catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Mac-Book Pro under MACOS Mojave I have problem to send pictures from LRc (version 9.3  - 202005281810) to Photoshop 2020 (version 21.2.0) layers.
The proces stops at the second picture !

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue.  Have reset preferences, set TIFF to no compression and loading from Lightroom to PS as layers stops at the second image.  I have back to the previous version which works great, but would like the current version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue as well, and nothing seems to resolve it other than manually opening each image and pasting them as individual layers in the initial image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue also.  Adobe came on line to my machine and uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted preferences and the only thing they could get to work was go back to previous version.  They escalated to next tier and awaiting for call back.  While i would like to have the latest version, being on the previous working one is fine for me for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried my suggestions, running Onyx and fixing directory damage? Get an IT guy, that's the BEST advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this issue with "Open as Layers in Photoshop." The process fails at 2-4 photos when 5 are selected leaving a blank "Load Layers" layer in the document and one photo open as a separate document. Files are located on my internal SSD (Macbook Pro). I have reset preferences for both LR and PS, tried TIFF with and without compression, PSD, etc... I have not tried uninstalling and reinstalling LR and PS yet, but may go ahead and try since I am out of options.

LR Classic 9.3 Build [202005281810-476e492c], Camera Raw 12.3, and PS 21.2.1

MacBook Pro 2017 13-inch (MacBookPro14,1), 2.3 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

macOS 10.15.4 Catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate