Highlighted

"Open as layers in Photoshop" function in Lightroom Classic broken

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edit about 30 images per day by selecting the below command, within Lightroom Classic (recently updated):

PHOTO > EDIT IN > OPEN AS LAYERS IN PHOTOSHOP (also recently updated)

But after the most recent update of PS and LrC I have lost this ability.  If I select 5 images in LrC and try to do the above, only about 1-2 images appear in my layered PS file as a layer, then a blank "LOAD LAYERS" layer appears (see attahed) and one more image will open in a seperate PS file and not a part of the layered file - then the import quits.

After I am done editing the layered file and when I save it - it will automatically save and load the modified layerd file in LrC - which it does not do anymore.

Obviously the only work around is for me to copy and past each layer individally and then manually save the file and import into my LrC catalog - which makes the process of editing images very inefficient when doing dozens of these edits per day.

I'm on a Macbook Pro, latest install of LrC and PS / Catalina - again, I have edited hundreds of images prior to the updates and never had an issue so obviously it have soemthing to do with the update, at least for me.

andrew

Topics

Bug, Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

"Open as layers in Photoshop" function in Lightroom Classic broken

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edit about 30 images per day by selecting the below command, within Lightroom Classic (recently updated):

PHOTO > EDIT IN > OPEN AS LAYERS IN PHOTOSHOP (also recently updated)

But after the most recent update of PS and LrC I have lost this ability.  If I select 5 images in LrC and try to do the above, only about 1-2 images appear in my layered PS file as a layer, then a blank "LOAD LAYERS" layer appears (see attahed) and one more image will open in a seperate PS file and not a part of the layered file - then the import quits.

After I am done editing the layered file and when I save it - it will automatically save and load the modified layerd file in LrC - which it does not do anymore.

Obviously the only work around is for me to copy and past each layer individally and then manually save the file and import into my LrC catalog - which makes the process of editing images very inefficient when doing dozens of these edits per day.

I'm on a Macbook Pro, latest install of LrC and PS / Catalina - again, I have edited hundreds of images prior to the updates and never had an issue so obviously it have soemthing to do with the update, at least for me.

andrew

Topics

Bug, Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a quick test with my LR 9.3 / Mac OS 10.15.5, and Open As Layers In Photoshop correctly opened the 10 selected photos as layers. I suggest you post a bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum, where Adobe wants all bug reports and feature suggestions: 
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightroom

Be sure to include the first ten lines of the menu command Help > System Info for both LR and PS.  Provide all the details, rather than linking back to this thread -- experience shows that Adobe developers tend not to follow the links.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and after extensive uninstall and the like, I had to remove the lastest PS and installed the previous one and the previous PS works fine.  I will wait for a bug fix.  I use Windows 10 with the latest feature update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew filed a bug report here:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/-open-as-layers-in-photoshop-function-in-ligh...

In response, Adobe suggested resetting both LR's and PS's preferences. I suggest you try that and post whether or not that helped on that bug report's thread (not here).

Unless others me-too that bug report with more details, I think it's unlikely that Adobe will take any action, since (as of now) they don't appear to have a way to reproduce the problem.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this 10 times with 10 photos and it worked correctly 9 times.  One time it loaded 4 files in layers with the blank "Load Layers" and then a fifth one loaded in a separate Window.  The other 5 did not load.  

This is better odds than another long term bug of doing Edit In Photoshop for 10 files where doing it 10 times it fails on 3 or 4 times to load them all.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines