• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw and HEIC files problem

Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to convert a folder full of HEIC files to JPEG and I was hoping Bridge could do this as a batch process.

I am getting the following error message in Bridge (which spawns Photoshop CC in the process) when I try to open an HEIC image file:

"Photoshop Camera Raw does not support HEIC files on windows".

The Adobe Help page titled HEIC and HEVC media files support in Lightroom and Camera Raw says:

"In the Camera Raw Preferences dialog box, ensure that the JPEG/HEIC field is set to either Automatically open JPEGs and HEICs with settings or Automatically open all supported JPEGs and HEICs. To access Camera Raw Preferences, click the Open Preferences Dialog button  in the Camera Raw dialog box."

Whether from Bridge or PS I do not see the above text in my Camera Raw Preferences dialog box even though I just updated LR Classic CC, PS CC 2019 and Camera Raw this morning.

Camera Raw Prefs ver 11.3.9.197

Bridge ver 9.0.3.279 x64

Adobe Photoshop Version: 20.0.4 20190227.r.76 2019/02/27: 1205725  x64

Windows 10 Pro ver 1809.

I tried an Adobe support chat with Rahul about the disconnect between the Help Page and my Camera Raw Preferences. After he "researched" the subject he referred me to the same help page with the assertion that it will help. Things went downhill from there. I kept trying to get him to address the disconnect between the help page's references to JPEG/HEIC and that option not appearing at my end. He danced around it with all kinds of recommendations. "you need to convert the images to  HEIC/HEVC media to JPEG/H.264 while transferring to a Mac or PC." and "Actually we cannot open the HEIC files directly we have to first convert the images into JPEG or some other format which is supported on the application." and "Actually you can use the current version and it is not only for Lightroom application for the Photoshop application as well you have to first convert it and then import it into the application."

The chat ended up being an endless loop so I clicked off.

I am not seeking concurrence about Adobe's deplorable support. Does anyone know about the error message I cite and in what universe does the referenced Help page apply?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Photoshop added HEIC support on Windows this morning (version 22.1), relying on the operating system's codecs for this format:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/file-formats.html#HEIFHEIC

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/ps-heic-codec.html

"View and work with HEIF/.heic files in Photoshop on Windows by downloading and installing HEIF and HEVC codecs from the Microsoft Store."

There is one account for all things Microsoft. So your Windows 10 login works in the Microsoft Store as

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Oops, I was confused, I didn't realized you also needed the HEVC coden in order for this to work.  I just puchased ($.99) and installed this and now I am able to HEIC files in PS. 

Sorry that you're isn't working... I would suggest uninstalling both codecs, restarting your machine, then installing them in the same order I did: HEIF first then HEVC.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An HEIC File is an Apple created file type using the H.264 data format in order to make photo files smaller in size, with as good or better resolution than a Jpeg. But Windows doesn't like it. At all. So you can download a free tool here https://www.copytrans.net/copytransheic/ . It is an easy to use tool to convert HEIC files into Jpegs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No,Windows is open to this format. There's even an official HEIC codec plugin from Microsoft.

Yes, you can effortlessly open a HEIC photo with Windows 10 builtin Photo app, but Adobe Photoshop just balantly ignores to support it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually its an MPEG-created format and Adobe likely doesn't want to pay royalties. If the operating system has support, its may be free to use for application programmers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The free tools for HEIC conversion on Windows are lame. Don't convert to jpeg with other software. Instead, open in Lightroom CC and click the image, selecting from the drop down, "Edit in Photoshop". The adjusted HEIC image will open in Photoshop as a 16 bit tiff with adjustments intact, which is a big clue that the bit depth in HEIC taken with an iPad or other mobile iDevice has more that 8 bit per depth quality, my guess is ten bit depth per channel.

It is really tedious that Photoshop through Camera Raw cannot open HEIC directly. I think this must change when the iPad version of Photoshop comes out, else they will have an iPad platform without complete interchageability with the Windows versions of their suite.

If you use the option from Lightroom to save with adjustments, you will get the HEIC plus an xmp file with the raw adjustments you set in Lightroom. But these are useless until Camera Raw is updated to open them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still seems like there is no support for HEIC in Camera Raw on Windows which is pretty frustrating! Anyone found a better workaround or is it just best to use lightroom which does now seem to have support?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the only workaround I've seen. What a hassle! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's more of a hassle is having a doppelgänger 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Windows 10, simply right click on the file, chose Edit in Photos, and choose Save a Copy (bottom right).  It defaults to JPG.  

Cheers,

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Tom, 

Thanks for the tip, works like a charm, however it strips all metadata from the original image file i.e - Geolocation, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, but if Adobe Lightroom can natively open HEIC files and then "export" them as JPGs, why can't Adobe Photoshop open a HEIC file too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, I use OnOne software, last year's as I did not update, but it works fine and saves as photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Waiting on a solution from Adobe, please! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just now I could open .HEIC files in Bridge with Camera Raw. Moments later it didn't work. I have put the settings to open all JPEG and HEIC files... It works sometimes. It really annoys me because I don't mind converting them in Camera Raw, but in Photoshop or Lightroom is too much of a hassle. I need it quick 😞 It worked before.. Waiting for a response too. BTW I work on a Macbook not Windows. It's not a Windows problem I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a PC and yes, it is a problem. I cannot
open them in Bridge or PS. However, I have a
2019 version of OnOne and they open fine
and you can browse like Bridge.

I know, I know, I'm just saying.

Rick
--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop added HEIC support on Windows this morning (version 22.1), relying on the operating system's codecs for this format:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/file-formats.html#HEIFHEIC

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/ps-heic-codec.html

"View and work with HEIF/.heic files in Photoshop on Windows by downloading and installing HEIF and HEVC codecs from the Microsoft Store."

There is one account for all things Microsoft. So your Windows 10 login works in the Microsoft Store as well.

The first codec is free and the second costs 99¢.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallelujah! It works!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not work!  If you try to Photomerge a bunch of HEIC's you get a "Camera Raw does not support HEIC files on Windows 10" error over and over again for every image that is getting stitched.  It still works but having to hit ENTER 30 times sure takes the auto out of automate!  It's been like 5 years since apple introduced HEIC on Iphones and i bet you that the vast majority of photographs are not in HEIC, why can't you fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar experience. First time, it was because I had accidentally fired up P'Shop 2020 (still have it on my machine). Then, in PS 2021 (I think) I hit the same wall you did. So, I first opened the three HEICs, then did a photomerge with using 'Add Open Files.' Worked fine.
C Ya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with Photoshop 2021 on windows 10.  I've installed both HEIC and HEVC Codesc and I still get an error from Adobe Photoshop saying that i need to install additional software.  Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. I've installed the codex and it still won't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

codec

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am having the same issue, but my error message just says that "Photoshop cannot recognize the file extension."  Are there no other options??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, I was confused, I didn't realized you also needed the HEVC coden in order for this to work.  I just puchased ($.99) and installed this and now I am able to HEIC files in PS. 

Sorry that you're isn't working... I would suggest uninstalling both codecs, restarting your machine, then installing them in the same order I did: HEIF first then HEVC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about iphone pictures (Apple is well-known for various unnecessary quirks in their support of various file formats and codecs), but I can open HEIF files generated by a Samsung phone with just the HEIF codec installed (as the name states, HEVC is for video, so, logically, not needed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines