• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

camera raw and nikon d5600

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got the nikon d5600 and was completely frustrated when I realized I couldn't access my raw files in bridge or photoshop (I have CS5).  I tried downloading what I thought I needed -DNG converter 9.8 ? and had to upgrade my whole system in the process.  Its still not working and I don't know what I need to do so i can work on my raw files

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

It's natural to get frustrated when you feel like you're in a mess and nothing you try seems to work. Try and absorb it slowly, one step at a time.

A few background points which may help:

• To open and edit Raw files, Photoshop uses a plugin called Adobe Camera Raw
  • Every camera model has its own unique Raw file format so Adobe has to continually update Camera Raw to be able to open Raw files from new cameras. Thus, only newer versions of Camera Raw can read Raw files from newer cameras.
  • Different vers

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

The D5600 was first supported in Camera Raw 9.8 so the DNG converter version 9.8 would be correct

I tried downloading what I thought I needed -DNG converter 9.8 ?

Are you aware that the DNG converter is used to convert folders of Raw files to DNG format, not individual files?

See Camera Raw: How to use Adobe DNG Converter - YouTube

had to upgrade my whole system in the process.

What does this mean? Did you upgrade from CS5 or something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to go into bridge and see images of my jpegs and raw files now with the new camera  im getting that circle instead of an image so i can't go into photoshop and make edits in raw....obviously, I'm not sure what I'm doing!! I downloaded the 9.8 converter cuz I saw it supported my camera but maybe that's not what I'm looking for?  I had to upgrade my mac to make the download work cuz it said I needed an OS X of 10.10 or higher...im frustrated and have no idea what I'm doing...any help is appreciated.  I want to see my raw files and be able to make edits in raw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you run the DNG converter separately and convert the files to DNG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's natural to get frustrated when you feel like you're in a mess and nothing you try seems to work. Try and absorb it slowly, one step at a time.

A few background points which may help:

• To open and edit Raw files, Photoshop uses a plugin called Adobe Camera Raw
  • Every camera model has its own unique Raw file format so Adobe has to continually update Camera Raw to be able to open Raw files from new cameras. Thus, only newer versions of Camera Raw can read Raw files from newer cameras.
  • Different versions of Camera Raw are compatible with different versions of Photoshop
    Full list here: Camera Raw plug-in and Adobe application compatibility
  • Photoshop CS5 is only compatible with Camera Raw up to Camera Raw version 6.7. So you'll never be able to open Raw D5600 files in CS5 since the D5600 need version 9.8 onwards and you can only use up to version 6.7. But all is not lost. Adobe offers you the free DNG converter.

So you are left with a couple of options: one paid for, one free

• PAID OPTION: join the Adobe Cloud, install Photoshop CC, update Camera Raw and you'll be able to open D5600 Raw files in Photoshop CC and Bridge CC (but not CS5)
  • FREE OPTION: download the separate Adobe DNG converter, batch convert all folders of your Raw files from the camera into DNG format. Then open the DNG files (not the Raw files) in CS5. An extra step for you but no extra cost.

So, in your case, forget about CS5. Convert to DNG first. Any version of the DNG converter from 9.8 to current will work.

So, if you stick with CS5, your workflow is:

1. Transfer your Raw files from your camera to any folder on your computer
  2. Open the DNG converter (version 9.8 to current) and tell it which FOLDER your Raw files are stored in on your computer
  3. Convert the FOLDER full of Raw files to DNG format. You have to do this even for a single Raw file.
  4. Use Bridge CS5 or Photoshop CS5 to view and edit the converted DNG files (not the Raw files)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have been beyond helpful!  Thank you so much for your help!!! You saved me many more hours of frustration!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines