• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw appears to slightly crop the image

Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ViewNXExTitled.jpgACRExTitled.jpgWhen I load an image into Camera Raw, the image appears to be slightly cropped when compared to any viewer or editor software including Nikon ViewNX. It has been suggested that this might be due to Camera Raw applying corrections from camera profiles, but I have not found a way to turn off the profiles and have not found settings in Photoshop or ACR preferences that affect this problem. The example images are screen captures; the gray areas on the sides are outside of the image area and I have cropped the top and bottom portions of the image, so the illustrations are of the amount of image on the sides of the two examples between the gray borders. Note the ACR image has been slightly cropped on both left and right sides --that is the problem. Image is from a Nikon Z7 with Z-mount lens, PS 23.4.2, ACR 14.4.1.1122 (although this is not a new problem so versions are probably not relevant). I would appreciate thoughts of what is causing this and what I can do to avoid the problem.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the camera set for its fullest frame or a crop (if that camera has such an option)? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The camera has options for various crop sizes, but in this case it is a raw file and full frame. Both Camera Raw and ViewNX, in my example images, are loading the exact same raw file. I have done no editing in either case -- this is what the image looks like loaded into ViewNX in the one case and ACR or Photoshop in the other case.  The sensor produces an image 8256 x 5504 pixels, and that is what is reported as the image size whether loaded into ViewNX or ACR or Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been suggested that this might be due to Camera Raw applying corrections from camera profiles, but I have not found a way to turn off the profiles and have not found settings in Photoshop or ACR preferences that affect this problem.

I think the advice you received referred to LENS PROFILES, which are found in the Optics panel, and not to Camera (Color) Profiles which are selected in the Basic panel. Lens corrections are turned off at the top off the panel.Untitled-25.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I appreciate your reply, but the check box for "Use lens corrections" is already off. Below that is an "i" within a circle followed by "Built-in lens profile applied. Click for more info." When I click on it, I get a pop-up that says "Nikon Z7. Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S. This raw file contains a built-in lens profile for correcting distortion, chromatic aberration, and vignetting. This profile has already been applied automatically to this image." There is no Lens Profile heading down lower such as shows in your photo, and the ability to select a lens profile is not there. If I switch to manual, and I try pulling in the sides of the image using the distortion slider, it exposes only white space and not the rest of the image. So your comments are good ones but unfortunately there seems to be something more involved here.

LensProfileInfo.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines