• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera raw crop query

Participant ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have been using camera raw/photoshop for quite a while and feel silly asking this question, but here goes:

I normally crop in photoshop, not camera raw. However, in camera raw (using latest version 14) there seems no way to crop to a specific height/width in inches/cm/pixels etc. For example, if I choose 1x1 in the drop down menu and then open in Photoshop and select image size, it is indeed in 1x1 but how are the dimensions in pixels or inches that are displayed determined?

My second query is the "constrain to image" checkbox in acr. When I crop it doesn't seem to make a difference whether it's checked or not. How does this work please? Cheers.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

You can certainly crop to a specific size. The highlighted info will update as you move the crop rectangle.

Screenshot 2022-06-20 143521.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply put- Think of Camera Raw only as a virtual editor. It does not make changes to the original file. It only records the edits you make as 'directions' in a text file (XMP). ACR does not 'understand' what pixels are, so cannot change an original file pixel dimensions by a crop.

Pixel dimensions only come into 'play' when you Export a derivative file (with Custom dimensions) from Lightroom, or [Open] an RGB (pixel) version in a Photoshop document where you can [Resize] and Save..

So Pixel dimensions are determined in the Export, or a Resize in Photoshop.

"Constrain to Image" is useful when you Rotate a Crop in ACR or use Transform functions that create empty (white) space where no image data exists. "Constrain to Image" then 'pulls in' the crop boundaries to only show visible areas of the original image (and not the clear space).

2022-06-18 19_44_46-Roberts Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg    2022-06-18 19_44_56-Roberts Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob. Thanks so much for the reply. It makes sense now. I do note that older versions of camera raw (eg version 6)  it was possible to crop to a specific size in pixels, cm, inches, in the custom drop down menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can certainly crop to a specific size. The highlighted info will update as you move the crop rectangle.

Screenshot 2022-06-20 143521.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great answer @Lumigraphics .  (Me - Not a frequent user of ACR- forgot this info.! )

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines