• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't convert Canon CR2 RAW files to photoshop CS2- please help!

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2007 Mar 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Canon EOS Rebel XT and am using Photoshop CS2 and can not open my Raw images. Canon saves the images as a CS2 file. I guess needs converting.. Please Help!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 111 Replies 111
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2007 Jun 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably as thumbnails in Windows File Explorer.

As Ann has stated, this can't be done with Raw image files. Windows
doesn't know how to read them, let alone generate a thumbnail view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 28, 2007 Jun 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft has a raw file viewer for Windows XP, but I've nver tried it. You can find it at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/raw.mspx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2007 Jul 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there are several programs to get thumbnails of raw files, some are free, like the one John mentionned.

The thread could be cut in two at post #17.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2007 Jul 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, sorry if this is a repeat question, but I've searched and found nothing specific to my kit.
I've just bought and downloaded Elements 5 and downloaded Camera Raw 4.1 but I'm still getting an error messge that says " Cannot open ........ because it is the wrong type of file".
Can someone PLEASE help me.
My Camera is a Canon EOS 400D and the file types are CR2.
Many thanks in advance,
John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most likely problem is that you have not installed ACR 4.1 properly. It must be placed in the precise folder specified in the installation instructions, and the older version cannot be found anywhere in the Adobe file structure. If you feel that you must keep the older version for some reason, store it in My Documents somewhere. But in reality, the best place to put it is in the Recycle Bin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,
Thank you SO MUCH, I've been struggling with this for 9 days and you've solved it in 10 seconds.
Many thanks,
John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jim and Brenda,

I am having the same problem - Have a Panasonic DMC FZ8 and using Mac OS X with Photoshop CS2. I cannot open my files through Bridge or Photoshop - in bridge the files appear as just the icons (no preview shows up). I have the camera raw plugin installed version 3.7. I'm not sure what's going on, but I know the program isn't recognizing the files as camera raw...what can I do? And also, what is ACR?
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Miranda,

Unless I am reading the list of supported cameras incorrectly, your camera is not supported. And, ACR is simply an abbreviation for Adobe Camera Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw the Lumix DMC-FZ8 supported in CS3...hmm, I guess it's too new to be supported in CS2. That sucks! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't investigate that closely to see that it was supported in 4.1. If that is the case, you can use the DNG converter to create digital negative copies of your raw files. Then you can open those DNG files in what you already have. Just download and use the DNG converter version 4.1. It is packaged with the ACR plug-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, not sure if I confused you...I have CS2, not CS3 but I couldn't find the list of supported cameras for CS2 so I just looked at the CS3 list. I have 3.7 ACR plug-in and just downloaded the DNG converter (for that version of photoshop), attempted to convert my files and it said "there was an error in parsing the file"
Anything else I can try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT WORKS!!! I downloaded the DNG converter that comes with 4.1 (even though I don't have 4.1) and it converted my files for me. Then I opened my files in photoshop (using Bridge) and the file opened in the RAW plug-in program!
THANKS, much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you have already discovered, it doesn't matter what version of Photoshop you have. You can always use the latest version of the DNG converter to convert raw images to digital negative files that will open in any version of Camera Raw. That means that even if you have purchased the most recently supported camera and only have Photoshop CS, you can still use the most recent version of the DNG converter to create files that you can use in your version of Photoshop. That is the big advantage of using the DNG converter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2007 Dec 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" As you have already discovered, it doesn't matter what version of Photoshop you have. You can always use the latest version of the DNG converter to convert raw images to digital negative files that will open in any version of Camera Raw. "

Doesn't work for me - 'can't parse file'. 1DSmkIII raw files.

How annoying of adobe to not update ACR for CS2. Even if I could get the latest DNG converter to work and allow me to open files with PS, why should I have to go through this extra step? We pay thousands of dollars for this very poor service, adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 23, 2007 Dec 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For your 1DSmkIII raw files you need the Adobe DNG Converter 4.3.1 prior versions do not support your camera.

>Even if I could get the latest DNG converter to work and allow me to open files with PS, why should I have to go through this extra step?

Because your damn camera didn't exist when CS2 ceased to be supported.

You can afford a 1DSmkIII and you're too cheap to spend $199 on an upgrade to Photoshop CS3? Give me a break!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2007 Dec 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG converter 4_3_1 don't convert my raw Leica M8- images to digital negatives files that will open in Photoshop CS 8.0.1. (Camera raw 2.0).
I'm getting an error message that says
"Cannot open ........ because it is the wrong type of file".

Miranda wrote
"Then I opened my files in photoshop (using Bridge)"
What means "using Bridge" ?

I open my files with:
File, open and than the error message appears.

What do I wrong??

Please help.

Kees (from Holland)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kees ...

Please clarify ... that is, DNG converter is a program that runs by itself ... that is, independent of Photoshop (Bridge is the File browser that is an update in CS2). Simply run the DNG converter and point it at your M8 raw files and they will be converted to DNG.

From Photoshop, try to open one of the DNG files. If you still get the same message, reply back and begin a new topic ... for example, "CS cannot open M8 DNG files".

EDIT: I should also mention it is best to accesss these forums from the Adobe webpage. That is, register so that your e-mail address doesn't show, and so that you don't get more junk-mail than you already do.

holidays' cheerios :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daag Kees,
>[Kees] DNG converter 4_3_1 don't convert my raw Leica M8- images to digital negatives files that will open in Photoshop CS 8.0.1. (Camera raw 2.0).

Of course not. You need ACR (Camera Raw) version 2.4. Version 2.0 does NOT support DNGs.

After you correctly install ACR 2.4 according to the instructions on the download page and after you relaunch Photoshop, you need to Purge the Cache for each folder.

>[Michael] Simply run the DNG converter and point it at your M8 raw files and they will be converted to DNG.

Nope. Point the DNG Converter to a folder containing RAW files, not to the raw files themselves. The DNG Converter works on Folders containing raw files, not on individual files.

>What means "using Bridge" ?

Forget that. It does NOT apply to Photoshop 8.x. In CS3, you can have ACR hosted either by Photoshop or by Bridge. Photoshop 8.x doesn't even have Bridge.

Prettige Kerstdagen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2007 Dec 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramon, you presume a lot!
1. I was using the latest version of DNG conv.
2. I do not own that camera, I just have to use the images.
3. The company I work for will not pay for the upgrade after having recently forked out for CS2, fonts, clipart...
4. CS2 should be supported for much longer than it is, at least for minor updates. We all complain about Microsoft, but they support their software for several more years than Adobe. You can still get updates for 7 year old software with Microsoft, but can't get updates for 3 year old software with Adobe.
5. This lack of support by Adobe only encourages piracy and hinders people like me that are trying to make an honest living working for a small company trying to establish itself. Because of this, where possible, we now use non-Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>1. I was using the latest version of DNG conv.

Yes, but you were then trying to open the DNG files with a version of ACR (2.0) that does NOT support DNG files.

It's nonsense to expect a software company to support software it no longer sells.

Personally, I couldn't care less what software you use. Nor is it any of my business where you get your images from, what your employer is willing to pay for or not, or whether you get your job done or not.

Use the Contact button at the top of this page if you want to address Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Ramon says is indeed true. It has been a long-standing policy with Adobe to stop updating a version of Photoshop when a newer version has been released. You don't work for free, and I don't think you should expect Adobe to work for free either. It averages out to less than $20/month to keep current with Photoshop. That is a pretty small price to pay to have the current support of the entire Adobe Company.

But you have to learn how to use the software that you already have. Trying to work with raw images is complex, but not complicated. You, however, have to understand the complexities. You indicated that you had Camera Raw 2.0 installed. Had you taken the time to keep yourself current with the technology for your version, you would have known that Photoshop CS requires Camera Raw 2.4 in order to read DNG files. You can always use the latest version of the DNG converter to create digital negative copies of your raw images. Using the latest version will enable you to convert images from all the cameras that Adobe supports. In that manner, Adobe IS providing you with continued support, and they are not charging you anything for that continued support. So if you take the time to download ACR 2.4, then you can use the latest version of the DNG converter to create the digital negative files that you can edit with your version. Those DNG files still contain all the raw image data, and you will have all the flexibility that anyone who is using ACR 2.4 has.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2007 Dec 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just upgraded from Elements 5 to CS2 but when I try to download RAW immages....nothing happens! I have Camera raw converter 3.4 plug in, should I upgrade? is this my problem? I use an canon EOS 30d

Spent all christmas locked in conflict with this problem can anyone help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 28, 2007 Dec 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I have Camera raw converter 3.4 plug in,

There's no such animal.

Do not confuse the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in with the stand-alone Adobe DNG Converter.

In any event, you should be running ACR 3.7, that's version 3.7 of the Camera Raw plug-in.

If your camera is NOT supported by ACR 3.7, then you also need to download and run the stand-alone DNG Converter version 4.3.1 in order to convert your RAW images to DNG files that can then be opened by ACR 3.7 hosted by Photoshop 9.0.2, the current version of Photoshop CS2.

You will need to Purge the Bridge Cache for each folder containing raw files once you update ACR to version 3.7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2008 Jan 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now have version 3.7 that does support my camera. Problem is that I am still unable to open the RAW converter. Could it be something very simple like a tick box not ticked? should it not auto open RAW immages when I try to download them?

Is there a "open Raw" dialogue box some place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 02, 2008 Jan 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do NOT "open" the RAW converter.

Adobe Camera Raw will open your RAW files if supported by the version you have and if ACR is correctly installed.

You cannot launch ACR by itself. You need to open a RAW file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines