• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't convert Canon CR2 RAW files to photoshop CS2- please help!

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2007 Mar 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Canon EOS Rebel XT and am using Photoshop CS2 and can not open my Raw images. Canon saves the images as a CS2 file. I guess needs converting.. Please Help!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 111 Replies 111
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2008 Dec 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what I am doing wrong, first I was able to convert the Dng files, now it is not working. I deleted the DNG and downloaded it again. I have the icon my desktop, when I drag a raw folder into it, it asks me if I want to run, it then installs the Dng again, but does not convert my cr2 to an open image. It just leaves the icon, beside the jpeg image. I shot in Raw+ jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 31, 2008 Dec 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you are dragging the files to the DNG Converter Installer, not the actual DNG Converter (which is what gets installed by the installer).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2011 Aug 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the original photoshop cs version 8 and have tried all camera raw versions from 2.1 to 5.4 to try to open canon t1i raw cr2 files with no sucess......on mac....cr2 files are dimmed in the folder and un-openable....is there a camera raw version that will work for me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

catsnjammer wrote:

i have the original photoshop cs version 8...

Sorry, Photoshop CS can not open any recent raws whether or not you convert to DNG. Your version is simply too old. Unfortunately, you're also outside the window of upgrading to CS5 (Adobe will only allow upgrades from 3 versions back).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

catsnjammer wrote:

i have the original photoshop cs version 8 and have tried all camera raw versions from 2.1 to 5.4 to try to open canon t1i raw cr2 files with no sucess......on mac....cr2 files are dimmed in the folder and un-openable....is there a camera raw version that will work for me?

Photoshop CS can only take Camera Raw versions up through 2.4.  Adobe's policy is to stop updating the Camera Raw converter when a new version of Photoshop is released, so all newer versions of Camera Raw are for newer versions of Photoshop.

The "fallback" scheme that Adobe has provided for you is this:

• You download and install the latest version of the free DNG Converter.

• When you capture raw files, you place them in a folder and convert the entire folder with the DNG converter to a new set of files that are in the .DNG format.

• You can then open the .DNG files in your old version of Photoshop.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2011 Aug 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

• You can then open the .DNG files in your old version of Photoshop.

Not according to Jeff in the post above yours, Noel...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith_Reeder wrote:

Not according to Jeff in the post above yours, Noel...

Actually I was wrong...I forget that ACR 2.4 in Photoshop CS -CAN- open DNGs created with the current DNG Converter if (and only if) click on the Change Preferences button in Converter and set the Compatibility settings to Camera Raw 2.4 and later. There will be some limitations due to changes in the DNG spec but at least a uers can open the DNG in Photoshop CS in ACR 2.4–which BTW is ancient and way behind the times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for following-up, Jeff.  To clarify further:

DNGOptions.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, appreciate the clarification, Jeff - I pointed out the discrepancy simply because I was confused by the conflicting advice (I dont go back nearly that far with Photoshop), and now I'm not..!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks noelkeithjeff.........finally got it to work by changing the compatibility setting to 2.4 and later in the dng converter....gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 15, 2011 Aug 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My dad has the Canon EOS 5D and i shot time lapse with it. Last week we were down in hollywood time lapsing and i forgot to change the camera from RAW to Large and today i was trying to make a time lapse video and i couldn't change it I NEED SOME HELP PLEASE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2011 Aug 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So what are you wanting to do, change the format from RAW to JPG on the camera, or do something with RAW files that you got from the camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines