• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't convert Canon CR2 RAW files to photoshop CS2- please help!

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2007 Mar 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Canon EOS Rebel XT and am using Photoshop CS2 and can not open my Raw images. Canon saves the images as a CS2 file. I guess needs converting.. Please Help!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 111 Replies 111
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2008 Jan 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the file installed, but nothing happens, how do I know if its correctly installed?

Sorry to be such a pain.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 02, 2008 Jan 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop, go to About Plug-ins (Help menu on Windows, Photoshop menu on Mac) and click on Camera Raw. If it is installed correctly, it should show you a box with the version number in it.

There is no button or anything for it. Just drag a raw file onto Photoshop, or go to File > Open and select a raw file and it should then fire up Camera Raw for you to process the file.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2008 Jan 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have finaly given up and gone back to Eliments. Have had CS2 for a year now and have never been able to use it. Would buy CS3 but am not sure that it would be any better or the support any more help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2008 Jan 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike, where exactly is ACR installed? there is only one location for it, look in the readme that is on the download page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2008 Feb 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS opened my Canon Raw no prob., Now I ALSO use Canon 40D, but cannot open those Raw files? from Walt Thomas,2/1/2008

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2008 Feb 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS2 opened my Canon 30D Raw no prob., Now I ALSO use Canon 40D, but cannot open those Raw files? from Walt Thomas,2/1/2008

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Feb 02, 2008 Feb 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You either have to upgrade to CS3 with the ACR 4 series (current 4.3.1) CS2 ACR ends with version 3.7. See the links above at this forum to check what version starts with support for the 40D.

Or you can download the latest DNG converter that can be downloaded for free with ACR and covert your RAW files to DNG and after that open them in ACR for CS2.

But check also the benefits for ACR 4.x and new functions CS3, you will find out that it is well worth the money :-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2008 Mar 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem: I run PS CS2 on Vista Ultimate. No problem with RAW images (.CR2) from my Canon 20D, but it cannot read my Canon 40D RAWs. Do I have to upgrade to CS3 or can I simply download this update for RAWs Adobe offers here?

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You either have to upgrade to CS3 or use the DNG workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find the DNG Converter at http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 05, 2008 Mar 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto. ACR 4.3.1 does NOT work in CS2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2008 Mar 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I was thinking of upgrading to CS3 anyway, so this is a good reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2008 Apr 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda, "Can't convert Canon CR2 RAW files to photoshop CS2- please help!" #36, 23 Dec 20...
>Because your damn camera didn't exist when CS2 ceased to be >supported.
>
>You can afford a 1DSmkIII and you're too cheap to spend $199 on an >upgrade to Photoshop CS3? Give me a break!

No problem, I'll pay the $199 for the upgrade to CS3, if you pay for the training, that my employees need to be able to use CS3 instead of CS2. And if you pay for the drop of work performance that will occur during the first weeks with the new software.

So, how is the deal, adobe? Will you upgrade all of my employees, or will you find it cheaper and be a better customer support to upgrade that damn camera raw for CS2 to support recent cameras (EOS 1ds Mark III would be sufficient for me 😉 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2008 Apr 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They made a upgrade not a rewrite and redesign of the program. Try the demo
and SEE what you think.

> No problem, I'll pay the $199 for the upgrade to CS3, if you pay for the
> training, that my employees need to be able to use CS3 instead of CS2. And
> if you pay for the drop of work performance that will occur during the
> first weeks with the new software.
>
> So, how is the deal, adobe? Will you upgrade all of my employees, or will
> you find it cheaper and be a better customer support to upgrade that damn
> camera raw for CS2 to support recent cameras (EOS 1ds Mark III would be
> sufficient for me 😉 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid it's time for a reality check. Support for Camera Raw for a version of Photoshop ends when that version of Photoshop has been replaced by a new version. That's just the way it is. As far as I know, it never will change.

My opinion of CS3 is that all of the "main" features of Photoshop remain the same. Your fear of down time (I think) is unwarranted. Your workers should still be able to use all of the skills they have developed. Then, they can learn the new features as they have a need for them. But if you are not willing or able to keep up with the Photoshop technology then there isn't much of a solution for you.

You could use the DNG converter and convert your raw images to Digital negative files. Those could be opened with Photoshop CS2 and ACR 3.7. That is Adobe's solution for continued raw support in previous versions of Photoshop. You can always use the latest version of the DNG converter, which will support the most cameras, to create DNG files that can be opened using ACR 3.7. Again, if that is not a reasonable solution, you are going to find your choices extremely limited in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zwilling,

Why the hell should I or anybody else subsidize your operations?

Is your twin ("Zwilling") as deranged as you are?

There will be no further updates for any version earlier than CS3. Period.

And CS4 is just around the corner, so don't expect CS3 to be supported for much longer either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> CS4 is just around the corner

If they stick to the 18 month cycle that would be October 2008.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2/3 of the way there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loretta,

You must be blind. CS3 is light-years ahead of CS2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 06, 2008 Apr 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8o

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2008 Apr 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loretta, If you can't upgrade at the moment, the easiest solution is to convert the 1DsMarkIII files to DNG. Download the latest DNG converter from here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3821

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I have CS3. I was just making a point that if you can spend $7,000 -+ <br />you can afford to spend $199.00 on a upgrade.<br />"Adriana O." <aohlmeye@adobe.com> wrote in message <br />news:3bc388f8.66@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Loretta, If you can't upgrade at the moment, the easiest solution is to <br />> convert the 1DsMarkIII files to DNG. Download the latest DNG converter <br />> from here: <a href=http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3821>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a student who is having problems with his newly purchased copy of CS3. Bridge is not reading the files from the Canon 40D and Camera RAW is not working. We tried loading the updates at the Adobe site, but it is still not reading the RAW files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mary Ann,

In Photoshop, Help/About Plug-Ins; click on Camera Raw. What version is indicated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2008 Apr 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS2 and probably will for a while. The upgrade isn't $199 for me, it's $599. Except for the inconvenient lack of Camera Raw support, CS2 is working too well for me to "fix." Anyway, for someone to be so simple-minded as to assume it's got to be "cheapness" that keeps someone from upgrading ... as usual, you say more about yourself than person you attempt to denigrate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines