• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't convert Canon CR2 RAW files to photoshop CS2- please help!

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2007 Mar 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Canon EOS Rebel XT and am using Photoshop CS2 and can not open my Raw images. Canon saves the images as a CS2 file. I guess needs converting.. Please Help!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 111 Replies 111
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2008 Apr 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased the new Canon EOS 450D (Xsi) and owned a copy of Photoshop CS2. The .CS2 files the camera outputs can't be directly opened in Photoshop ("not the right kind of document").

I found two ways to continue using CS2 and still open these files:

1. Download the DNG Converter (works nicely, takes a few seconds to convert a 12 megapixel image), then open the .DNG in Photoshop and the detailed "import window" opens.

2. If you have access to the free software that often comes with the camera (like Digital Photo Professional that ships with Canon cameras) , you might be able to use it to convert the RAW (.CR2 for Canon). In DPP there is a "Transfer to Photoshop" than opens the image in 16 bits/channel mode.

Robert Karlsson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 11, 2008 Apr 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alicia,

Who on Earth wants to charge you $599 for a Photoshop upgrade?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2008 Jul 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the 40D you have to avoid the parsing error you have to download and install the DNG converter for CS3 (2008) not the DNG converter for CS2 (2007). Then you can convert the files and use CS2.

Here is the link: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3903

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2008 Jul 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To follow up with Bobby's post: I would always recommend using the latest version of the DNG Converter, even if you have an older version of PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2008 Nov 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have downloaded the DNG Coverter 5.1. Every time I try to convert a Canon 40D RAW image, the converter unexpected quits. Any ideas? (I'm using CS2, Mac OSX.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 10, 2008 Nov 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version of Photoshop is irrelevant, as the DNG Converter is a stand-alone application that does not need any version of Photoshop to run.

What exact version of OS X? Details about your setup would also help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2008 Nov 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón, I'm using OS X 10.3.9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2008 Dec 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a 40d and started to use the cr2 files for shooting, unfortunately my cs2 version 9.0.02 this does not like the files and states "its not the right kind of file" now being a simple English Man could somebody in plain English guide me through the jargin step by step please?
many thanks
paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul. I've been down that road. CS2 unfortunately doesn't read 40D RAW files. You'll either have to upgrade to CS3 or 4, or view your RAW images with the software your Canon came with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or use the free DNG Converter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eric
i have looked at adobe updates until my eyes have gone goggl eyed! if you could forward a link for me i would be very great full
many thanks
paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eric
i have looked at adobe updates until my eyes have gone goggle eyed! if you could forward a link for me i would be very great full
many thanks
paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul,

I don't know how you are accessing this forum. But at the top of the Adobe Camera Raw forum page, the one that lists all the topics, there is a link to the DNG converter. If you indicated your operating system, I overlooked it. Here is the link to the DNG converter download area, but on the right side near the top you will have to choose which one you want, Windows or Mac.

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jim
thanks for the info , i have already managed this part, once i have down laoded the file what happens next? will photoshop reconignise the file or do i have to add the file to photoshop if so would you let me know how?
thanks
paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul,

The DNG Converter is a stand-alone, independent application. It doesn't have anything to do with Photoshop.

You launch it to convert your raw files to DNG files first. Then you can use ACR hosted by Photoshop to open them.

You have to do this every time you acquire new raw files until you upgrade to CS4.

So, unzip the downloaded file and put it in the location of your choice, like your desktop, applications folder, etc,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't now how the Mac version works, but with Windows the latest DNG converter comes packaged in an installer that will install the DNG converter in a folder, "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe DNG Converter.exe". This is a change from how it has worked in the past. As I understand it, the DNG converter needs to be in this location to work properly with the camera profiles that also work with Lightroom and Camera Raw.

What I did was create a shortcut for the DNG converter on my desktop. When I want to convert my images I open the folder that contains my raw images and drag them onto the shortcut. This will start the DNG converter. Then all you have to do is specify where you want the DNG files saved and click on the Convert button. After the conversion is completed, start Bridge and navigate to that folder and start working with your DNG files.

As Ramon indicated, the DNG converter is a standalone program. Photoshop does not use it, nor does Lightroom. It is updated at the same time Camera Raw is updated. You always want to make sure you are using the latest version of the DNG converter. It will create DNG files that can be opened by any version of Camera Raw since version 2.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

Thanks for the reminder/advisory that the DNG Converter comes with its own installer now, even in the non-bundled version.

Paul never indicated his platform, OS or machine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2008 Dec 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a cannon xsi and photoshop cs2. I cannot open my raw cr2 files, what do I need?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 28, 2008 Dec 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terry,

You will never be able to open your files directly in CS2. However, there's a good workaround:

Download the free, stand-alone DNG Converter 5.2 and run it on your files to convert them to DNG files first. You'll have to do that every time you acquire raw images from that camera.

Then you can open those DNG files in ACR 3.7 hosted by CS2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2008 Dec 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded DNG 5.2 to my desktop, i unzipped it and have a folder with win64, an icon for camera raw 8bi, and an icon for camera profile exe. I tried to drag a cr2 raw file and open it I had no luck what do I need to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 30, 2008 Dec 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Terry L.Harmon:an icon for camera raw 8bi

Sounds as if you downloaded the plug-in. With 5.2 the plug-in and standalone converter are no longer in the same package. Try this link for the Windows version of the standalone converter:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4214

or this one for the Macintosh

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4213

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I finally got the Dng converter downloaded, now what do I do to get them to open ? Do I have to down load ACR 3.7? If so where I download it to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is a link to download ACR3.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 31, 2008 Dec 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This link should answer all your questions on installing any ACR:-

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb407110&sliceId=2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2008 Dec 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone. I am finally up and running. I have the DNG converter installed on my desktop. Now I can just drag my raw files into it and they open. Then I can drag them into CS2 and work on them without any problem. Thanks everyone for all the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines