• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

d5600 raw files will not open

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2017 Sep 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a new d5600 and can not open my raw files. in photo shop, camera raw or light room. the first file I shot would open in light room only but the next 2 files will not open anywhere. I'm pulling my hair ouT!.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

You need at least Camera Raw 9.8 or Lightroom CC 2015.8 installed.

Which versions are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cc 2017. lightroom cc 2015.  it says I'm up to date on everything. Thanks for the reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

running camera raw 9.12.0.784

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Adobe Camera Raw​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where the two images that won't open downloaded with a different software such as Nikon Transfer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes. It is two complete files full of images. I did use Nikon Transfer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2017 Sep 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fredlcox  wrote

yes. It is two complete files full of images. I did use Nikon Transfer.

It's possible that Nikon Transfer is the source of your problem. That utility has been known to change NEF files so that Adobe software cannot read them, particularly older versions of the utility. It would be better if you didn't use Nikon Transfer at all. It doesn't do anything special. The same thing can be accomplished by using the operating system utility to simply copy the files to your computer. If you are using Photoshop you can download the images with Bridge. Photoshop Elements also has a utility built into it to transfer images. Here is a link to the utility that you can use that will fix images that have been "corrupted" from using the Nikon Transfer utility.

Fix Corrupted Nikon NEF Images

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE only try this solution with a backup copy of your .NEF file

I use Photoshop CS6 with ACR 9.1.1.461 and Nikon d5600 RAW files -- CS6 won't use the ACR version needed for the d5600, so for now I manually edit the 2nd line of the .NEF file using a code capable text editor such as Notepad++ (GPL freeware at Notepad++ Home ).  This allows a simple search/replace of text D5600 to D5500 (there are two instances only) .. just be sure nothing else is changed, and that your editor can save the file without making any other changes to the NEF file.

This is a kludge, and is sad that a newer version of ACR that supports the d5600 won't work with CS6.  I understand new features come into play that require deprecation _eventually_, but this should not hit CS6 for another decade minimum.

I have had excellent results doing this, with all the adjustments operating effectively.  This is, obviously, not an efficient solution, and potentially risky without the added editing tool.

Again, please be sure to only try this with a backup copy of your original .NEF file.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2017 Sep 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lord Dampnut, have you considered using the DNG converter to convert your images to the DNG format and then editing those in Camera Raw 9.1.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines