• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fuji RAW "RAF" How to read with photoshop?

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2013 Sep 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone tell me how to read a RAF file please?

I am using PS Elements 8 and a Fuji X20 with *.RAF files.

The PS e8 is fully updated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 26, 2013 Sep 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you complained to Fujifilm about creating a raw format that is not supported by your software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe’s responsibility is to the shareholders and their employees. To that end, they sell software and try to keep their customers happy.

Giving things away for free is a valid marketing strategy as long as this leads to more revenue for them in the future, but giving away software forever to a specific group of customers, might make those customers happy, but would be irresponsible in all other aspects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ssprengel.

I'm not asking for more and better features. I want nothing for free they are not already providing in another way.

All I'm asking for is that my program can read photofiles.

It's a serice they offer in the convertor, why not in-program?

And I'm not asking for dumb advice that tells me to go out and shed more cash.

If I wanted to do that, I'd have done it already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Providing patches for obsolete versions of software would require Adobe to spend more money keeping several different product version branches updated including the additional testing and deployment resources and not getting any revenue from this activity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charleton A Wyman wrote:

why not in-program

Somebody has to pay for their efforts to support new cameras. Who do you think should foot the bill? Yes, I'm fully aware they could retrofit new camera support into their older software, without an inordinate amount of effort - I imagine they don't really want to / not really motivated to...

Charleton A Wyman wrote:

And I'm not asking for dumb advice that tells me to go out and shed more cash.

You only have 2 options, and you claim one option is a non-starter due to problematic DNG conversion, which you haven't wanted to talk about yet.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suspicion is that he is probably complaining about the "change" that occurs when images are displayed in Camera Raw.  You know, the "change" that every new user complains about because they don't understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charleton A Wyman wrote:

I want nothing for free they are not already providing in another way.

And we've been trying to inform you, even in light of your childish insults, that the world is not like that, no matter how much you stamp your feet and cry.

Try to understand that a number of very smart people here, who have thought about this a lot longer than you have and quite likely understand things better than you do, are advising you that you're off base.

You've been given the facts, including that the camera makers are purposefully creating unique file formats for each new camera they make, a practice which costs companies like Adobe significant engineering effort and time to decode.  Adobe has even developed a fully featured, open raw file specification (the DNG standard) that the camera makers could use to solve this problem directly, but nooo, most of them won't use it.  So you blame Adobe for not keeping your ancient software current, free of charge, and for some reason you seem to feel a software company shouldn't be allowed to profit from their work in improving their product. 

You paid Fuji, the devious one in this situation, but you refuse to pay Adobe because they didn't reach into your computer and connect all the dots for you?  You seem to think that someone - anyone - other than you needs to be your system integrator.  As stated, the world is not like that.

Beyond that, you apparently don't have an interest in discussing how to get good results through the DNG conversion process, which despite your ranting folks here are still willing to discuss.  But it seems you're too smart to suspect that your own inability to operate the raw converter effectively could be the problem there.

Your choices are clear.  Pay to play, use the free product that invokes a bit of extra work, or go elsewhere.  I'm sorry I did not list 3.  Go away in my first response; my mistake.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2014 Jun 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I got on this site to see if I could find out why PS CS6 would not read my new RAF Fuji files.  I know the answer now, but do any of you have a life at all, or are you all misfits that like to act like little school girls bulling others behind their back.   A bunch of little sad little girls indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ø Anything else?

Yeah, stop posting here unless you have a technical question that the user-community can help with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with ssprengel.  If you want a solution to your problem, and you want to do it right, then upgrade your software.  If you have questions about the new software, we are here to help.  We enjoy exchanging ideas and learning from each other.  But complaining becomes obnoxious after a while.  And you passed that point a long time ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charleton A Wyman wrote:

2) You have not a clue.

Apparently not.  I am used to dealing with rational people.

I'm curious...  Did you read something in the Adobe literature 4 years ago when you bought Elements that led you to believe Adobe would continue to add new camera support to your version of the software from then on - i.e., to make you think you deserve free upgrades?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any programs that I bought in that year that have not been fully patched to keep up with new file formats.

It's what is called compatibility.

Even some cheap games have offered free patches to keep up with changes in OS, why not Adobe?

If they are willing to offer a converter then why not simply patch the software? It does claim to update from time to time- why leave out the obvious?

It's a no-brainer.

That's all I am saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess that's a "no" then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just googled Photoshop Elements 8, and it's not been current for 3 years. Are there many software companies which give support for 3 year old software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yammer wrote:

I just googled Photoshop Elements 8, and it's not been current for 3 years. Are there many software companies which give support for 3 year old software?

Actually, it looks like they stopped support as soon as Elements 9 came out, which seems a bit harsh to me. They only run versions for 12 months too. I'd be annoyed too. Never used Elements though, its version of Camera Raw is too crippled.

On the other hand, CS has traditionally run for 18-24 months with ACR updates sometimes even after the new CS version. They're still supporting CS6, but it's actually not that old still (18 months?). I wonder how long ACR8 updates will work on CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines