• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Horrible Camera Raw update - how roll back to previous version?

Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Last update of Camera Raw is really horrible.  Another update where are many annoying bugs.
Why the [Profanity removed by moderator] is Camera Raw so slow after this update? When You have many XMP profiles in collections, it is extremely laggy.
Need find some way how downgrade Camera Raw to previous version. I tried downgrade Photoshop, but  it still using last Camera Raw.
BTW: Before this update was everything fine. Not HW related - i7 4770K, 32GB RAM, 970GTX.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

I just found a solution that worked for me. If you are using Acronis True Image 2020, make sure to switch off "Active protection". For some reason, it conflicts with Camera Raw and was slowing it down to the point of nor being able to work with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jan Dzacovsky,

We're sorry to hear about this, please check this link and try to reinstall the Camera Raw plugin and let us know if it helps: Camera Raw plug-in installer

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the link and installed the previous ACR and now things are very screwed up.

• Thumbnails aren't showing for raw (CR2) files in Bridge.
  • XMP files are there but adjustments aren't applied in ACR when you open a previously edited raw file.
  • Double clicking a raw file opens Photoshop first and only when it is completely loaded does ACR launch even though Double-Click Edits Camera Raw Settings in Bridge is checked.
  • Keywords for raw files are completely gone.
  • Rebuilding\Purging cache has no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have had the same terrible experince and am desperate to roll back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Installers for ACR can be found here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x

You'll need to downgrade to the last version of Bridge using the CC app, click on the three dots and select "Other Versions".

That's about all we can do for you here. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  I tried to install the previoous camera raw plug in which shows in Photoshop but I cannot open a phto in Bridge with Camera Raw.  Camera Preferences in Bridge is greyed out and 'open with' only show Photoshop - not Camera Raw as before.  Can anyone help me to solve this please?  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Sahil,

I second Jan's comment regarding the new interface. Also I always have "ignore .xmp sidecar files" in file handling, yet as soon as I open a raw file, an xmp file is generated immediately. Camera Raw used to save ALL edits inside the raw files and now it ALWAYS generates it. How can I stop this from happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree, can we please have the previous version back ASAP. The new version is doubling my workflow time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree - I'd like to downgrade as well because this is really horrible and slows down my workflow and I can work with the prevois version as well and faster. If the oly ideas you have at Adobe is to change the layout of the plugin - don't do it - the more simple the better. That us one reason why I perfer Camera Raw and don't use Lightroom which is complety overloaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found a solution that worked for me. If you are using Acronis True Image 2020, make sure to switch off "Active protection". For some reason, it conflicts with Camera Raw and was slowing it down to the point of nor being able to work with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution is also working for me. When I open a RAW file in Photoshop the Camera Raw windows is open and was nearly unresponsilbe. Every action take 30 seconds and more. 

After I deactivate the "Active Protection" option from Acronis True Image 2020 it's working.

Thank you for the info.

I've posted the problem in the Photoshop Bug forum.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/open-raw-directly-in-photshop-camera-raw-near...

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also worked for me! Thank you for finding that solution. Until they find a solution, I guess I'll have to turn it off when working on files and back on when I am done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! Thank you 1000 times, this problem almost drove me crazy

I wish you all the best, stay safe and healthy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Windows: Run services.msc and locate Acronis Active Protection (TM) Service and disable. That's it.

2021-06-09_11-02-56.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Camera Raw forum, from the Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, the new version of camera raw is horrible. I would like to know how to roll back to the old version of camera raw?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i shut off active protection on Acronis True Image, i didnt even restart the maching and the raw files opened up without hesitation, thank you for the suggestion, worked like a charm 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with Camera Raw 13.1. When I tuned off the Acronis Active Protection it started to work as it should. Thank you very much!!! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would aboslutely love to "downgrade" to the older version because the latest few updates have absolutely throttled the program. When the annoying "analyzing" messages pop up you can't click on anything, the crop tool has about a full second delay, and I keep accidently clicking the little pop up download button on the thumbnails when I'm trying to go to the next photo. Not to mention when I do go to the next picture it's randomly zoomed in or moved to the side. 

Unforunately I can't go back because I have an R6 and the older version doesn't support its files. I've been using Bridge since about 2012 and in the past year my workflow time has almost doubled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can revert and use the newer camera after converting with a new(er) DNG converter.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The random appearing "Analysing" pop up box is plaguing me as well. I edit batches of up to 500 pictures at a time and as a pro-user I need a fast program, not workarounds with additional steps.

give us raw speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.on1.com/products/photo-raw/?coupon=SUMMER30

Solved all issues for me plus additional functionality. Seamless integration with PS and LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines