• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Disable Camera RAW from launching when opening an NEF file??

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Preferences> File Handling> File Compatibiliyt> I have unchecked the "Prefer Adobe Camera Raw for Supported Raw Fiels" box

Under Preferences> Camera Raw> I've set DNG file handling to ignore sidecar XMP and disabled JPEG & TIFF handling

I closed then restarted Photoshop

STILL when I open atttempt to open a Raw Nikon NEF file it FIRST opens in ACR. I've tried opening from within Photoshop and from Windows Explorer.

I have a Windows 10 PC using Photoshop V 23.4.1

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???

Help!  - Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Camera RAW forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not understand the Preferences options for "Prefer Adobe Camera Raw ....." either, but-

An NEF file is a 'raw' file. Photoshop must use a Plugin to demozaic or render raw data into the RGB data that a Photoshop document requires.

There is no avoiding ACR when you 'Open' raw files in Photoshop!

If you work with Lightroom-Classic, then [Edit in Photoshop] will open directly in Photoshop as Lightroom-Classic does the raw > RGB render (via an unseen ACR).

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you use Adobe software other than Lightroom, you cannot bypass ACR.

However, if you hold the Shift key down when opening a RAW file from Bridge, you won't see the ACR window (it will still be active behind the scenes.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines