Copied

Is it even possible to make a RAW present work for jpgs? thanks

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

It wouldn't work even if it did show up.

A raw file and a jpeg are two very different things. The same adjustment would give different results. Same slider positions, different result.

Any numerical adjustment is color space specific. The same adjustment on a ProPhoto file and an sRGB file will not look the same (you can test this in Photoshop). And a raw file in ACR is something else again - ProPhoto primaries, but a linear tone response curve (not gamma encoded).

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

@minglessis wrote:

Yes, I shoot in RAW but I have been playing with the Fujifilm JPG Film simulations, which are suposed to be one of the best features of the camera, and everybody claims to adore. I know I can try to recreate those simulations in RAW with the Camera matching present in ACR, but I'm not sure if it's the same result.

Well maybe, assuming you are happy with some proprietary processing instead of....

http://www.lumita.com/site_media/work/whitepapers/files/pscs3_rendering_image.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are presets for processing raw indeed. There are presets for processing JPEGs. 

I'm not sure what you're asking: take a preset for raw and use it on a JPEG? No. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I thought I could use present for RAW on a JPG. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What preset specifically? And what is it that you are really wanting to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a preset based on the Fujifilm Film Simulation settings  that Adobe CR showed me. I did it while I was working on a raw file. I saved the settings in my favorites, I hoped to be able to apply that preset to a jpg, but when I open one, the saved preset doesn't show up in the preset options/favorites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wouldn't work even if it did show up.

A raw file and a jpeg are two very different things. The same adjustment would give different results. Same slider positions, different result.

Any numerical adjustment is color space specific. The same adjustment on a ProPhoto file and an sRGB file will not look the same (you can test this in Photoshop). And a raw file in ACR is something else again - ProPhoto primaries, but a linear tone response curve (not gamma encoded).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it, kind of. Thanks for the explanation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that Fujifilm simulation is a camera setting, and you know that you want it applied when you are shooting in JPEG mode, if you set it then it will be applied to the JPEG image in-camera and will have an effect on the JPEG image when displayed in Lightroom. In-camera settings are baked into the image, something that is not true of raw images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim, do you know if there is a way to know which simulation was applied to a jpeg, in Camera Raw or any other Adobe platform¿ Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there is because Lightroom and Camera Raw usually just indicate, "Embedded". The best thing to do if you really want full control of your images is to shoot raw, in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I shoot in RAW but I have been playing with the Fujifilm JPG Film simulations, which are suposed to be one of the best features of the camera, and everybody claims to adore. I know I can try to recreate those simulations in RAW with the Camera matching present in ACR, but I'm not sure if it's the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@minglessis wrote:

Well maybe, assuming you are happy with some proprietary processing instead of....

http://www.lumita.com/site_media/work/whitepapers/files/pscs3_rendering_image.pdf

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

touché! Thanks for sharing the resource. I do want to learn how to have more control over my images but I also want to play with the presets...I´ll study this pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines