Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to undo a batch rename that was done to raw files on a memory card :(

Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what you're thinking and you are right, I'm an idiot. So I took some senior photos for my niece and was editing in adobe bridge and yes, I did a batch rename to a lot of photos in their raw format on the memory card. All of the thumbnails are now black and say "exec" in bright green:

Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 8.22.37 PM.png

When I double click on a thumbnail I get this:

Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 8.18.47 PM.png

Please tell me they're not lost!! Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

And I see exactly what went wrong. I own a Macbook.

If for example your raws are from a Nikon camera, the file extension is .nef  DSC0000.nef for example.

Remove the .nef, OSX does not know what it is and gives you that exec thumbnail and also can't find what program opens it.

Solution: rename the file with the proper extension and you will see your raws again. Unharmed.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I see exactly what went wrong. I own a Macbook.

If for example your raws are from a Nikon camera, the file extension is .nef  DSC0000.nef for example.

Remove the .nef, OSX does not know what it is and gives you that exec thumbnail and also can't find what program opens it.

Solution: rename the file with the proper extension and you will see your raws again. Unharmed.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello so I did something similar this evening, I did not know a batch rename would show my raws as a little white sheet of paper icon.. I tried to Undo but it would not let me ( I regretfully did not copy the files either. those were my only ones and I fear I lost them ) The file info still shows all of the metadata but I just can not open or see them anymore. Please help. 

( I also tried recuva for the memory card they were on but it said files were found but cannot be opened or something along those lines.)  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple. If you know the file is a cr2, just rename the file with the extension added. You will be asked if you really want to do this and confirm that you do.

image1 > image1.cr2 Then see if it opens.

Since I don't usually run batch renames, just do it one file at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You So Much ^_^ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Further, NEVER edit anything on the camera card. Copy to the Finder or elsewhere first. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines