• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lens Profile requests and information

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lens Profiles apply to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic, and the Lightroom Ecosystem products (Desktop, Mobile, and Web).

Lens Profiles are available for a wide array of lenses. Not every lens is currently profiled, and of those profiled, not all are profiled for all camera and file types. For example, there may be a profile for a particular lens and camera mount for the raw file but not for the JPEG. Normally, profiles for JPEG are not supplied unless the camera does not apply a correction (e.g. iPhone, GoPro). 

A complete list of profiled lenses can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/supported-lenses.html 
other helpful info: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/lens-profile-support.html#Supported_lenses 

Lens correction for all Micro 4/3 (MFT) lenses and many newer cameras, including Panasonic and Olympus cameras, and other cameras (including Fuji X,  Leica Q, and Nikon Z series)plus many point-and-shoot models from Canon) happens automatically without any interaction by the customer. A notation will appear in the Lens Correction Panel designating this. 

Note: You should not expect to find any profiles listed in the pop-up notes, because the corrections are always applied.

If you are unsure whether your lens is supported automatically refer to the "info" button/icon on the Lens Corrections tab.

If your lens is not on the supported lens list and is not one of those whose correction happens automatically, you can create your own profiles using the Adobe Lens Profile Creator. Download the Adobe Lens Profile Creator: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html#resources 

If you desire an Adobe-created Lens Profile, please make your request in the comments of this thread, and be sure to include the full lens model/description and the camera mount you are desiring. ETAs for new lens profiles are not available.

Keep in mind that lens profiles cannot be made for tilt/shift lenses. There is no way to record the tilt or shift settings in the Exif data. A feature request exists here for Tilt-Shift Lens Profiles: https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-ideas/p-lens-profiles-for-tilt-shift-lens/idi-p/12221166 

Note: The Lens Profile Creator is currently supported for Windows and 32-bit Versions of the Mac OS. 

ETAs are not available for any lens request. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
Lens profile creator , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 678 Replies 678
LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2014 Aug 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2014 Mar 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's nice if you use ACR but I would like to have the lens profiles available in Lightroom 5.3 for at least the two lenses I mentioned. I see the 2.8 16-50mm lens profile is in ACR. The Sony 70-300 G 4.5-5.6mm lens which has been available for some time is not listed above.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be grateful if you could provide me with a lense profile for Sony Lens SAL 18250, for use with Lightroom 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Sony a77 and sony SAL1650 F2.8 camera and lens profile would be a great addition to lightroom 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2012 Nov 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any progress on this yet? Because buying software and THEN finding this problem out really sucks. I also like how the default kit lens is an E mount and not the alpha...(sarcasm)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2012 Jun 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice this thread had been dead since it was merged 7 months ago. Is this how adobe get ride of people with a problem?
bet I get no reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2012 Jun 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sony currently make 4 E-mount and 38 Alpha mount lenses. you do 2 of each. ie 5% of Sony alpha and over 50% of ever other mount. and as the 50% of e-mount shows this is nothing do with not having the time to catch up. and of course you have 0 Minolta.

I also see reference to "camera calibration profile " where do I find these in Lightroom 4 (I bet there is not one for Sony A77, probably not for any Sony). Looks like Adobe are traditionalist snobs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Sony A77 and am trying out Lightroom 4. problem is I am disgusted with the lack of support for Sony alpha lenses. Just 2 profiles for Sony alpha lenses. I have the 16-50(as do probably most a77 owners) and the excellent 70300G. these are 2 of the best lenses available for any camera IMHO. but as adobe appear not to be bothered with Sony alpha users I will probably not be bothered with adobe at the end of the trial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2011 Nov 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded from PSE8 to Lightroom 3 and hugely impressed with Lightroom's versatility. I'd be even more impressed if there is support for the lens I use most on my Sony SLT-A55.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2011 Nov 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CameraRaw/ Lightroom Lens Profiles
Could you possibly add some more Sony/Minolta profiles, if that's technically reasonable?
Sony Alpha DT 18-70/3.5-5.6 (SAL1870)
Sony Alpha DT 30/2.8 Macro SAM (Order Code SAL30M28)
Minolta AF 50/1.7 (year 1990, Order Code 2613-100)
Thanks and best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some 150,000 images taken with an A100, A700, and A850. Unfortunately, my entire Sony system was stolen a few years ago. The insurance money bought me new Canon gear which is fantastic, but I have no way to generate lens profiles as i no longer have the lenses.

I mostly used a Minolta 50mm f/1.7, Minolta 70-200 f/4 beercan, and Minolta 28-135 f/4-4.5. All of those were and are popular and good-quality lenses.

Bottom line is that I have no way to correct any of my old RAW files. :sigh:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terry,
Ideally, you should create your own profiles with your camera and lenses with the profile creator  software. Then any sample variations would match your lenses.  Of course this is very time consuming and you have to follow the instructions exactly
I've not done this myself, I have downloaded profiles for Minolta lenses using the down loader software. These have been provided by users who have created their own profiles.  They work well enough for me. I'm mainly interested in distortion corrections. An example of a profile that I use a lot is one for the Minolta 70-210mm f4.  
I love my Minolta AF and Minolta MF (Rokkor) lenses, but sadly I'm not confident in a bright future for the Alpha system. Though Sony has just introduced the A99II, an excellent, camera, when was the last time they introduced any new lenses?  If Sony is only offering token support for the system, I personally don't expect much attention from 3rd party companies (Adobe). For example, Sigma is not longer offering new lenses in Alpha mount.  Tamron is, but but not until they've made significant profit form other mounts, i.e. Canon and Nikon.
The FE mount cameras and lenses are what are selling and Sony needs to go with what sells (if they want to stay in business). As unhappy as it may make many of us. We can complain all we like, but the only thing we can really do to help is get out there and buy Alpha mount product and hope that many others do as well!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately we don't have the resources to locate and profile all the Minolta versions of the Alpha lens line. It would be ideal if we did, but the reality is, we don't. This is one of the drivers behind providing the free Adobe Lens Profile Creator. Customers who have these lenses can use this tool to generate, and share if they like, profiles for the Maxxum or any older line of lenses.

The adapters you mention would mainly affect the vignette corrections between an SLR type body and a mirrorless, but only slightly in my experience. Any variance can usually be resolved by adjusting the Vignette slider on the Lens Corrections tab. You can set a Lens Profile Default to set this adjustment for all future camera/lens combinations that match the profile being applied.

The other issue with the adapters the lens metadata written to the raw files. Sometimes it is different than the metadata written when a lens is attached to its native mount (i.e. without the adapter). Since this metadata is used by the profile matching logic, automatic matching may not work. This is where setting Lens Profile Defaults can help provide a hint to matching logic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If not for you, it looks like Adobe ACR would not have any Minolta support at all!

Minolta MC and MD are even older, and, not even supported by Sony.
The Alpha originated with Minolta, and the "A" in A mount was actually short for Alpha. (Sony later muddied things by adding the E mount some time after they acquired Minolta's imaging division).

The Minolta A Mount lenses are natively supported to this day on Sony bodies (as seen on the new Alpha99-II) or via Sony's LA-EAx adapters (2 and 4 support AF) on E mount bodies (both APS-C and Full Frame).

There is an active economy in Minolta A mount lenses via Ebay, Facebook, Amazon, etc., precisely because they are very popular with Sony users. I am sure Adobe can afford some used Ebay A Mount lenses. Heck, get the Tamron or Sigma A mounts for that matter- they are also popular with Sony users (the price is so right!).

> "Several of the Maxxum lenses share the same optical formulas as the Sony Alpha lenses"

I admit to skepticism. Can Adobe post citations? And if true (I have read that even the early knockoffs by Sony had minor changes from Minolta designs), Adobe needs to let us know exactly which Sony branded lenses are clones of which Minolta lenses. Can you arrange this verification?

Also, a lot of us E & FE body users are using the Sony LA-EA2 or LA-EA4 adapters (supports Minolta and Sony A Mount AF lenses, as well as other brands). Obviously we lose about half a stop worth of light with these adapters. But there's the hairer question of whether or not these profiles would be accurate.

That is, we have the variable of sensor size; would an A Mount lens profile created on A6000 with a LA-EA2 create a valid profile for, say, use on a Alpha99II? Or the other way around?

The adapter also adds distance between lens and sensor. How might this affect efficacy of A Mount lens profiles (either in generating profiles or in using them)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Most of these older Minolta lenses preceded the lens corrections feature in Camera Raw and Lightroom, and many were out of production (supplanted by Sony-branded equivalents) at the time the feature was released.  Several of the Maxxum lenses share the same optical formulas as the Sony Alpha lenses with the same specifications and can be used with the older Minolta-branded models. You can apply them and set a new Lens Profile Default so Lightroom will automatically recognize them in future imports. 

The Minolta MD film SLR lenses in the screen shot above were generated in house from a personal collection of one of our teammates (me). 

Regards,

- Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's mainly the result of when the lens correction feature was originally released, which lenses were available on the retail market at that time, and the resources Adobe had to perform the manual profiling process. 

We have produced profiles for a significant number of Alpha lenses with the Sony brand. Some of the early models were rebranded from Minolta to Sony, so lens profiles may work fine with either. However, they may not auto match if the lens metadata differs too much between the Sony/Minolta branded versions.

Adobe does not generally purchase older, out pf production lenses to profile. To assist customers with this gap in profiles, we released the free Adobe Lens Profile Creator and Downloader.

The MD/MC lenses were part of my personal collection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Sony Alpha lens is not always an Alpha lens 🙂 except by Sony's hacknied retroactive redefinition.

Alpha was a Minolta standard, and the A Mount was synonymous. That's why Sony's Alphas originally (and still do) feature A mounts (and then Sony muddied the waters with the addition of "alphas" with E mounts).

What we need from Adobe are A Mount lens profiles (Minolta, Sony, etc), not Minolta MD and MC support. Minolta MC and MD are not supported by Sony. Minolta A Mount lenses like the AF Maxxums are supported by Sony- both natively (like with the brand new Alpha A99II), or via the Sony LA-EAx on an E mount.

I am absolutely boggled that Adobe ACR has yet to support a single Minolta Maxxum or for that matter, any Minolta A Mount lens!

I know this is confusing but Adobe has had years to research it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2017 and they still seem unaware that the Alpha mount was originally the A Mount (until Sony added the E mount to the Alpha lineup, confusing things quite a bit).

Adobe thinks they are catching up by adding E/FE lenses, while still failing to give us Minolta A mount AF lens profile. So many Minolta A mount lenses out here, and still no Adobe support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe seem truly confused by the Alpha/A acquisition and the resulting chaos of terms. Adobe gives us MC and MD lens profiles instead of the Minolta A mount that the Alphas were originally based on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe no doubt has better channels to Sony than the average consumer does. How about giving us those email addresses and numbers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. I will definitely be contacting to Sony as I hope others will too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also upset by the continuing lack of Minolta lens profiles. They offer Minolta MC & MD lens profiles, which are not even supported by Sony.

Adobe does not list even a single A mount lens. The Minolta AF Maxxums are A mount (Alpha) and can be used natively on many Sony bodies, or with the Sony LA-EAx adapters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2014 Mar 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An encouraging sign is that Adobe just added support for the Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM lens in the Camera Raw 8.4 Release Candidate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2014 Mar 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like corrections for the 2.8 16-50 mm plus the 70-300G lenes also!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also just purchased the Sony A77 and am new to Lightroom 4...am having huge difficulties trying to find the profile for the 16-50 lens (which is awesome by the way) to use the lens correction tool. I am loving Lightroom 4 but would love some help on getting this problem corrected. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines