• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
May 16, 2024 May 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw.
Post Lightroom Feedback here

The Photography team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. 

The recommended order for applying edits is:

1. Denoise 
  2. Heal (includes Generative AI Remove)
  3. Crop (includes traditional Cropping, Lens Correction, Transform, or any operation changing the geometry of the image)
  4. Edit
  5. AI Selective edits

If you deviate from that, you may see the removed object remain as a ghost image. If this occurs, you will have to use Update AI Settings.
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2024 May 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The feature worked amazingly and the content generation is pretty much spot on, saves a lot of pictures from photobombs and unwanted obstruction. A bit of an improvement might be the ability to tweak the basic lighting (exposure, contrast, shadows, highlights, etc.) to the generative fill mask. Most of the mask seem to come out slightly darker than it's suppose to, 90% it's not so visible unless zooming in on it but occasionally it does stick out like a sore thumb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2024 May 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have tried several times on several raw images and the object does not disapear. After I hit apply the object remains with the line I placed around it remaining. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used the Generative AI tool to remove some objects in LRC. When it syncs to LR the objects remain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using "Generative AI" at first, I discovered that I could change some of my vertciaI images OK and on some  it would not work properly.  I discovered in my camera I can set an option to rotate images, "ON" or "OFF"

If I have it "off" in the camera and import a vertical image into LR, then rotate it in LR, "Generative AI" will not work properly.  If I rotate back to its original state, "AI" will work, then I can rotate it back after the change.

If I have it "on" in the camera and import a vertical image into LR,  then "Generative AI" will work properly.

So far my experimenting with this new feature has worked well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I takes forever to despot a photo if you have a bunch of spots. The Generative AI is great, but the Despot shoulc have it own Menu. Just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply uncheck the provided box for using AI. Spot removal function is then as it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

La herramient me parece genial, pero creo que habria que mejorar, el proceso previo de seleccion por algo mas preciso.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

La herramienta anda muy bien, la frutilla del postre sería poder hacer elecciones con una herramienta como el lazo de PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works great about 70 % of the time I think it is ready for full use as. I do think it needs to work as a prompt similar to photoshop instead of a general remove feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The spot removal in Lightroom is awful! None of the options work as they did previously. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience, if you switch off the option to use AI, everything works exactly as before. No issues detected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...::: HELP :::... HOW DO I UNSUBSCRIBE? I'm being overwhelmed by Adobe emails.  Should an 'unsubscribe' option exist to comply with GDPR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found it. No replys needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@charless1202526  This should be on every email you receive: 

"You may manage your notification settings or unsubscribe from all Adobe Community e-mails."

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love everything about it, except I keep getting a gpu acceleration error, glitching, and full on lock up. My workflow is completely messed up and I cannot figure out how to roll back to the previous verson of Camera Raw 😞 Adobe, please make it easier to roll back camera raw!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extremely pleased with the results so far on removing softbox reflections from eyeglasses. Lighting reflections on eyeglasses are extremely troublesome, and this improves substantially on my previous workflow which involves masking/color matching/dehazing to minimize the reflection. The attached image isn't the most extreme case I've encountered, but it did save a LOT of time and frustration and cloning. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add, there's a missing line in the eyelid on the AI version, which will need to be fixed in a subsequent step--but it's still not as bad as it was. Using Photoshop/Camera RAW. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is terrible. I'm spending way more time trying to remove things than I was before. Not to mention the clone and heal tool are trash too now. 12/10 do not reccomend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice results but takes too long to generate. Wish it would leverage the GPU. Or even the CPU. Didn't seem any of it was being used while generating. I assume it is processed in the cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Especially when working with snow and cloudless skies, Generative AI needs refinement in getting the luminosity, saturation, and textures spot on. Textures can end up blurry and color shades can be off by a couple points in each rgb channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2024 Jun 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was quite impressed with how it removed top right moss covered distracting tree and replaced it with canopy branches and leavesP3220602a.jpegP3220602-2a.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2024 Jun 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I start, this is GAMING CHANGING.  Great work!

Can we use prompts and control the generative remove to improve this?  In addition, can we also have an option to use the same auto-masking as the adjustment brushes so we can be more specific on our generative removal?  Here's a scenario:  I have a group picture and only 1 pair of eyes isn't looking or have their eyes closed.  I like to select the mask of his head or face only and prompt "redirect eyes to left" or "keep eyes open".  Maybe it's not generative remove it and have it under the adjustment brush but I would love to see it incorporated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2024 Jun 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that it works fairly well but to remove branches in a tree when photographing birds, it often will leave part or all of the branch or wll not work at all.  

nothing to attach.  I erased it. sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when adjusting geometry and you get little slivers of non exisitng photo sections, could the generative remove generate additional photo to fill the gaps? / work on transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for including this feature in Camera Raw. It has really sped up my workflow! I've been having difficulty with objects being replaced as opposed to being removed, but I see the update above so will give that a try. Thanks for such an elegant application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines