• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PNG export will not include metadata

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open NEF files in Camera Raw > do my edits > Convert and Save Image button in top right > save / export as PNG (with ALL METADATA clearly selected)

When I do this, the file appears where I want it to (Edit folder) without metadata.  DNG or JPEG alway appear to include the metadata, but the DNG's don't like to open in Window's proprietary Photos App in full resolution for some reason, and JPEGs .. I don't like lossy compression.  Oh, and the DNG's won't ever appear elsewhere in the Adobe Creative Cloud or Bridge ecosystem with the edits I made.  They always appear as they did when they were RAW files.  This is enormously frustrating. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

1. The PNG format does not support EXIF or IPTC.

2. "DNG's won't ever appear elsewhere in the Adobe Creative Cloud or Bridge ecosystem with the edits I made. They always appear as they did when they were RAW files."

DNGs are Raws and like any other Raws will display embedded JPGs when opened in a non-converter.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. The PNG format does not support EXIF or IPTC.

2. "DNG's won't ever appear elsewhere in the Adobe Creative Cloud or Bridge ecosystem with the edits I made. They always appear as they did when they were RAW files."

DNGs are Raws and like any other Raws will display embedded JPGs when opened in a non-converter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then use TIFF export instead (w/ lossless deflate compression + horizontal predictor), should be comparable size to PNG.

The PNG format does not support EXIF or IPTC.

By @elie_dinur

Not formally, but there is widespread support when they're stored in the ordinary PNG text chunks as raw text...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Furthermore, it looks like the 'eXIf' chunk extension has already been registered for the PNG spec update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that should've been the link to the newer 1.5 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  Realized too late I was trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.  Exporting TIFF did what I was trying to accomplish; save images to my local HD and have a copy to easily access from Windows proprietary Photos App for casual viewing.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JPEG is designed for photos, you'll get much better results vs file size for that than TIFF or PNG. TIFF is great for print but not computer viewing. PNG is best for flat color graphics. And yes, PNG does support a full suite of metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines