• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

proper time to use enhance feature in ACR

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it better to use the enhance featurein ACR before or after sharpening.?

If I enhance prior to sharpening should/can I sharpen the enhanced image?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willax, which Adobe application or service is your question in relation to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACR  Adobe Camera Raw.  Should  I sharpen an image in ACR and then use the enhance feature OR use the enhance feature and then sharpen OR is the enhance feature alone a sharpening device?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like the enhance feature ignores sharpening and just works on the base image. So it really doesn't matter if you do that before or after, other than the setting will carry over to your enhanced image, but they can be reset to default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Detail (Sharpening) is capture sharpening and it done 'visually' so I'd suggest doing so after. 

The steps applying all edits are done at the time of rendering the image, not user applied so you can season to taste at any time, but again, I'd do this after the iteration with Super Resoution is applied but if someone on the Adobe team feels otherwise, I'm all ears. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the Sharpening settings in Camera Raw are not used by the Enhance features (Raw Details and Super Resolution). The interpretation of details in the raw data is what’s enhanced, and then Camera Raw settings like Sharpening are applied on top. However, the existing Sharpening settings are carried forward and applied after Enhance.

So it’s OK if Sharpening was applied before Enhance, but after Enhance is applied you should look at Sharpening to see if those old settings are appropriate for the new level of detail, and adjust as needed.

Below are Adobe articles about these options. These are long articles written by the Camera Raw team, not the Adobe help files that are often less than helpful.

Enhance Details 

From the ACR team: Super Resolution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you
*William Lax*
cell: 602.679.0119
www.laxphotography.com

Virus-free.
www.avast.com

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I seemed to find in my testing. Applying sharpening did affect the base image, it just applied it to the image using the same settings, which can be dialed back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would definitely turn off sharpening before enhancing.

In the screenshot below, the first image has been created from an unsharpened original. The second image has been created from a sharpened original, and shows halos and artifacts from the sharpening.

The first image can be sharpened to look much better than the second, which is difficult to improve.

The third image is a sharpened version of the first, using Topaz Sharpen AI.

ACR-super-res.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chuck Uebele 

Yes, you're right about dialing back the sharpening, I didn't notice that the enhanced image had sharpening settings in ACR.

But the original sharpening settings don't create a good result with the enhanced image.

I had a hard time getting decent sharpening with the ACR filter, as well as with Smart Sharpen.

Topaz Sharpen AI worked best for me, at least on this particular image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yea, better to start fresh. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines