Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recover Images from Camera Raw Trash

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I accidentally marked an image for deletion in Camera Raw 12.4 and clicked the "Done" button instead of the "Open" button.  The image is not in my computer's trash.  It seems to be gone.  Is it possible to recover these files from the trash? 

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

While Camera Raw is open, if a photo is marked for deletion, there are a few ways to un-mark it for deletion...

1. With the photo selected in the filmstrip, click the delete (or backspace) button on your keyboard again. The delete key should toggle the marked-for-deletion status on and off.

2. Cmd/Ctrl + Z to undo

3. Right/ctrl click on the photo's filmstrip thumbnail, or on the main image to bring up the contenxtual menu and un-check the "Mark for Deletion" menu item.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your file is in the Cloud and is mapped,
Cloud must be in the ARCHIVE section.
If the file is deleted from the Cloud, it will be trashed but still stored in the Cloud. You can recover from there.

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is really unreasonable....All I do was accidentally pressed the "Delete" button, and after modifying the image I clicked "Done", and it all disappeared! Now I haven't upload it to the cloud before and I just lost it forever. Why couldn't you throw it to the Finder trash or some trash locally? How can you do that? After all, I think this really sucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oli is 100% right. Pls fix this.

[Profanity removed by moderator.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am the latest victim of accidentally deleting raw files in camera raw from my SD card,cant even recover form recycle bin 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excatly the same here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But what if our file was NOT in the Cloud? I am working off an external hard drive. ACR indicated that the file would be "moved to trash." But it is not in trash? So where has it gone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2023 Dec 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Happened to me and luckily I was able to get them back! I just used a Recovery Software, specifically EASE US Data Recovery Wizzard. Hope it helps. It was really easy. Just searched for the name files on my SD Card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly same thing happened to me ? Any Solution to that ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be useful if both people asking this question (from 2020 and 2022) would at least specify the OS. 

On a Mac, marking a raw for deletion simply moves the raw to the trash. It is there unless you empty the trash. If you do so, you're stuck unless you have some utility to recover or cache these items. ACR doesn't empty the trash, it moves the items to that location. Marking for deletion (moving the document) and actually deleting are not the same.

MOVEtotrash.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all well and good, but the question is, how do you unmark the file for deletion? I see the "Image will be moved to Trash" but I have no idea how I did this or how to undo it. Using a Mac running 10.14 and Camera Raw 13.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figured it out. I clicked on the trash can in the bottom center. I would not have known this other than mousing over it said toggle, so I figured it couldn't do more damage. But it turned it off and I'm good now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While Camera Raw is open, if a photo is marked for deletion, there are a few ways to un-mark it for deletion...

1. With the photo selected in the filmstrip, click the delete (or backspace) button on your keyboard again. The delete key should toggle the marked-for-deletion status on and off.

2. Cmd/Ctrl + Z to undo

3. Right/ctrl click on the photo's filmstrip thumbnail, or on the main image to bring up the contenxtual menu and un-check the "Mark for Deletion" menu item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's all well and good. But the question is, now that we've clicked done, where has the file gone, and how can we recover it. ACR indicates that "the file will be moved to trash." But that doesn't seem to be the case. If it were, we would be able to locate the file in our trash. It's not there. So where did it go?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it is not simply moved to trash. If that were the case (as it should be), then we would be able to locate the file there. I just had the same issue. Unknowingly marked the file for deletion. Clicked done. And the file is NOT in my trash (or anywhere else, as far as I can tell). Where has the file gone? That is our question. I am on a Mac, and running the latest versions of OS and ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is simply moved to my trash. Now maybe you have something set to empty the trash. That is possible and not a great idea:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/delete-files-and-folders-on-mac-mchlp1093/mac

https://www.easeus.com/amp/mac-file-recovery/how-can-i-stop-trash-deleting-files-immediately-on-mac....

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was NOT simply moved to my trash. I do NOT have anything set to empty the trash. Everything that I have recently moved to my trash (ie. via Bridge, Finder, etc.) are easily located right there in my trash. Everything, that is, except this one file that I accidentally "marked for trash" in ACR. Upon doing so, and then clicking done, the file is nowhere to be found. It is NOT in my trash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You deleted it. 

Or it's moved elsewhere so search for it.

Again, on Mac OS and the latest version of ACR, anything marked for deletion is simply moved to my trash and remains there.

Log into another user account and try there to maybe bypass whatever you've setup for auto deletion (empty trash). If you trashed and emptied the trash, it's gone! Without a 3rd party utility like “Trash Magic”* which it sounds like you really need, it's gone.

https://www.tri-edre.com/english/trashmagic.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just lost a killer image by accidentally marking for trash in ACR. Now it’s gone. And NOT in my trash. WTAF!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´m having the same problem! Any solution for that already? How can I acess the trash??? - Brazilian here! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same issue. Where is my file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here! I am a Windows user and have not synced files with my cloud. I didn't think that the ACR plug-in in my Photoshop would actually delete files. Lightroom at least gives you options to delete files or rather just remove them from the software. I somehow thought they would just be discarded and not actually deleted. Also I am using Windows and while drag and droping my photos in Photoshop I didn't realize I was doing that straight from my SD card which was in my SD card reader, luckily I have transfered, earlier, my photos on a PC, but ACR did discard/delete my photos on my SD and guess what? I did check my trash can/recycle bin and it was empty as it is, most of the time. I haven't even "visited" my recycle bin, only for checking in if my files are inside aaaaand they're not. I really don't know where did ACR put them.

Is it possible that, because I was doing this from my SD card reader (and my SD) - externaly, and the files weren't officialy on the OS, ACR just straight deleted them as it happenes with anything you delete from a USB flash drive or a HDD/SSD/M2 drives which are externally connected? (Deleting that way doesn't go to the trash can/recycle bin rather it deletes them for good).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here! I am a Windows user and have not synced files with my cloud. I didn't think that the ACR plug-in in my Photoshop would actually delete files. 

By @vilim999

Adobe Camera Raw doesn't; it MOVES the document to the trash. You or some outside mechanism must empty the trash; then it is gone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its 2023.

I use macOS and latest version of adobe.

Thanks for deleting my 2 day of job adobe. Damn there is no any explanation about this issue. Its gone from SD card and its not in trash bin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The explanation is above in green.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines