• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rolled back Bridge, installed Camera Raw 12.2.1 - But Photoshop uses latest version of ACR to open?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Like many users, I've now had enough of the latest version of ACR and want to try and roll back to the older version before I jump ship to Capture1.

Here's the action I've taken: -

• Rolled back my version of Bridge to version 10.0.4 using the Creative Cloud Desktop software.
  • Followed the link to download version 12.2.1 of Adobe Camera raw that was listed in other threads on the same subject.
  • Installed ACR 12.2.1 as instructed.
  • Closed all Adobe software, switched off PC completely. Restarted PC

Sure enough, when I open Bridge, it's rolled back to the earlier version 10.0.4.

Unfortunately when I double click a RAW file in Bridge, it still opens the file in the latest version of ACR. 

In Adobe Creative Cloud, you don't have the option of installing an earlier version of ACR, so I'm at a real loss as to how I tell Photoshop to use the earlier version of ACR that I've installed!

If anyone can help I'd be much obliged, what little hair I have left is being torn out 😞

Martin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge can host ACR as can Photoshop (even at the same time) but it sounds like you still have 12.3 installed somewhere, otherwise Bridge couldn't access it either. 

The install of the older ACR should have done that but apparently, didn't. You'll have to search your drivers for that version and nuke it. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

I suspect that may be the final solution. I had a look at Ash's response below and realised I'd left the Auto-Update setting on in the Apps tab (Even though it was switched off in Creative Cloud)

I'm going to try the whole process again, it that doesn't work it's time for the big red botton with ACR 🙂

Cheers

Morph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Morphineous, that's an interesting one.  For clarity, does anything open the old version of ACR - you mention when you open a RAW in bridge, but how about within Ps, or adding a Camera Raw filter in Ps?  

Also (probably a silly idea) but you don't have automatic updates turned on in Creative Cloud do you?

Cheers,

Ash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ash, thanks for the response.

I did as you suggested and tried opening a RAW file through Photoshop - still opened in the new ACR

Tried applying a Camera Raw filter in Photoshop - Same thing 😞

Good job you mentioned the point about the auto update though! - 

In the Creative Cloud app, I had Auto-Update unchecked, I assumed this stopped the individual apps updating but I was obviously mistaken. When I clicked the apps tab underneath, I spotted another Auto update setting which was still checked!

I've now updated and will try again - fingers crossed 🙂

Cheers

Morph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF auto update was off, it didn't auto update. It really appears you never deleted (through install and overwrithing) the newer version. Just search your HD for Adobe Camera Raw or examine the path below (Windows) and make sure it is deleted, then download the older version and install. 

See:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/plug-ins-photoshop-troubleshooting.html

• Windows:

If you installed to the Photoshop version-specific location, the Photoshop plug-ins folder is located here:

Hard Drive\Program Files\Adobe\[Photoshop version]\Plug-ins

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ash,

Thanks for the advice.

Spent a whole day trying to resolve then uninstalled everything in sheer frustration! Reinstalled CC again, but the older versions of Photoshop and Bridge. Finally got the old version of ACR again, what an absolute balls-ache it's been from the start.

I don't think I'll ever auto update again, if it's not broken - don't fix it 🙂

Cheers

Morph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines