• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will you finally support camera matching profiles with EOS R5 and R6?

Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe,

is there any reason to believe that there will be camera matching profiles for Canon CR3 format with the upcoming R5 and R6 models? It's almost two years now with no camera matching profiles for any new Canon model. We need to know the truth. Why are you not supporting Canons picture styles but clearly every other major brand?

This is one of the major advantages using LR/ACR. It would be unfortunate to loose Canon clients. It's a market share of some importance I can imagine...

You earlier mentioned about a year ago that "you are working on it" and  that Canon is not responsive. Is this the same answer I will get if I contact Canon?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Lightroom and Camera Raw are updated regularly on an approximately three-month basis. The last update was in June. So I would say that Adobe is "on schedule". Your Canon cameras are not the only models in consideration. Suppose there are other models from other manufacturers that are being considered that are just being released and Adobe is trying to include those in this updated as well. You Canon Users don't "rule the roost" and don't have a corner on the market. Adobe has the entire digital

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty sure Canon must have p*ssed of Adobe at some point. There is no other explanation. Also, why the f is there no Capture-One for Canon available. Maybe the same there? Also in On1 Raw, the built-in Canon profiles are totally useless, weird colours altogether. So my guess is that camera companies pay software manufactures to add their cameras and Canon just sits on his f-ing high horse and we face the consequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has never promised it would supply Camera Matching Profiles for all cameras. If indeed it's been two years, there's no reason to believe they will. 

Roll you own. There are free tools to do so. 

Canon will not provide Camera Matching Profiles for any Adobe (or 3rd party) software but go ahead and ask. 

Who specifically told you "Adobe is working on" such profiles? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR/ACR had support for my Canon EOS R, but not for my new R5 YET.. I hope they will add the R5 and R6 soon.  DNG Converter works with the R5/R6 raw files, but it creates another set of huge files, and converting raw to dng is an unnecessary extra time consuming step that interrupts my workflow. C'mon Adobe, get on the ball!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"DNG Converter works with the R5/R6 raw files, but it creates another set of huge files, and converting raw to dng is an unnecessary extra time consuming step that interrupts my workflow. C'mon Adobe, get on the ball!"

You should be ranting to Canon, not Adobe. IF Canon had provided Adobe, and every other raw converter vendor their unnecessary proprietary raw prior to camera release, you'd have native support the day your new camera arrived. Canon (and the other's) don't so you get to wait, while Adobe and other's spend money hacking a raw they always can and will. You got the DNG converter earlier because there is far less work involved updating it, having pre-release test it, writing documenation etc. LR and ACR take a bit longer but that's coming. 

So you have a few options:

1. Use the DNG converter now, and thank Adobe for providing it.

2. Use Canon's (IMHO awful raw converter) without DNG.

3. Complain to Adobe: Pointless. 

4. Complain to Canon: maybe pointless but if all their customers did, and had over the decades, maybe this silly proprietary raw behavior would stop, or maybe Canon and other's would just supply a damn raw prior to camera release. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously it is impossible to criticize for whatever reason. If you’re gonna continue to defend Adobe at least consider this first:

1. ACR has always supported Canon camera matching profiles - ie Camera Standard, Camera Faithful etc (not Adobes generic profiles)
  2. After EOS R, that support suddenly stopped and no more camera matching profiles were created for Canons new models (quite many by now)
  3. All other major brands (Sony, Nikon, Fujifilm, Olympus, Pentax) are still getting camera matching profiles for each new model.

Don’t give me ”Adobe never promised” or ”create your own profiles”. That is NOT the answer to this question which quite frankly is impossible to get an answer to.

About a year ago, MadManChan (or whatever he calls himself) said that they ”are working on it but the new sensors are difficult to match” and the something about Canon not beeing helpful.

It sounded reasonalbe in the beginning but now I don’t believe that for a second. For some reason, Adobe has decided to ditch Canon and I would like to know why? We’re not stupid so please show your customers some respect. If it is Canon, then please let us now and we can bark up the other tree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry the facts have upset you. ACR has not  always supported (provided) camera matching profiles for all cameras!

And where did they promise they always would???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All other major brands as listed in point 3. So why has the support suddenly stopped just for Canon but not the other ones? Again "not promised" doesn't work. Clearly there is a reason for this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't ask questions on a user to user support forum who's answers can ONLY be provided to you from Adobe. Or those of us under NDA who can't and will not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought this was for Adobe staff. Where am I supposed to ask questions then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user to user support forum! As explained several time in this thread. You got user answers as designed. 

Go here:

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom and Camera Raw are updated regularly on an approximately three-month basis. The last update was in June. So I would say that Adobe is "on schedule". Your Canon cameras are not the only models in consideration. Suppose there are other models from other manufacturers that are being considered that are just being released and Adobe is trying to include those in this updated as well. You Canon Users don't "rule the roost" and don't have a corner on the market. Adobe has the entire digital market to consider. They have their planned times for updates, and those updates will be released when they are ready. Nobody can speed that up by badgering or threatening on a user forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but you completely missed the point about OP asking about camera profiles. Not sure why you're even mentioning raw support? 

Also, why has this post been marked as the correct answer when it didn't even address the camera profiles issue at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He (Jim) mentioned raw support because a question that CAN be answered by users to other users here was asked:

Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

"LR/ACR had support for my Canon EOS R, but not for my new R5 YET.. I hope they will add the R5 and R6 soon.  DNG Converter works with the R5/R6 raw files, but it creates another set of huge files, and converting raw to dng is an unnecessary extra time consuming step that interrupts my workflow. C'mon Adobe, get on the ball!"

Jim's answer was correct. 

This question can not be answered by users in a user to user support forum. It must be addressed to Adobe who may but probably will not answer it:

"Will you finally support camera matching profiles with EOS R5 and R6?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who marked this as "Correct answer"? It is not. Jim is referring to RAW support, that is not what I am asking about. I am asking about Camera matching profiles which Adobe removed for Canon exclusivley (starting with EOS RP - I think they modified the 5D Mark4 profiles to match EOS R)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the only correct answer you're going to get from a user. On this forum.

You will have to address your question about Camera matching profiles elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer doesn't even address the question, so I would disagree on that point, however, I would agree that you are probably not going to get any real answers in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The correct answer, (the only answer that can be provided) for a question about DNG was made.

NO answer that cannot be made, was made here. It's as simple as that.

Users in a volunteer User to User forum have no data they can supply about future functionality such as Camera Matching Profiles that today do not exist. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The OP asked a question about camera matching profiles not being created for any camera since the EOS R, the "correct answer" given addressed raw support, which clearly exists already for those cameras.  I agree that volunteer users would have no correct answer.  A more valid correct answer would be to say just that, not to answer a completely unrelated question to what the OP was asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines