• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Camera Raw/Lightroom Classic/Lightroom Ecosystem: Support for WebP

LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm preparing a bunch of files for the web and would like to use Google's WebP format. How can I export photos in Lightroom to WebP?

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
79 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR doesn't support WebP directly.  To export to WebP, you'll have to export as TIFF or JPEG and then convert using a third-party converter.  You could likely create a Photoshop droplet that uses the Photoshop WebP plugin to convert, and then install the droplet as a post-process action in a LR Export preset, so that you could export directly to WebP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a free Google conversion tool at the bottom of this page which might work as a LR post action. If for some reason you didn't want to use PS to do it. https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Windows, that should probably work fine, since you can run command-line utilities as Export post-processing actions. However, on Mac, I think you'd need to use the Run Any Command plugin to invoke the conversion utility, since you can't directly use a command-line program as an Export post-processing action on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome idea for Mac John. As a user of your plugin-ins they're always top notch products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but the Run Any Command plugin is actually by Friedl 😆

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like WebP is gaining some traction. It is available under the same sort of license as, say, DNG.

I see there is a Ps plugin for the format. Might be nice to make this one of the target export file types in Lightroom.

While it isn't a typical camera format, it attempts to solve the problems that JPEG was intended to address. Nicer photographic images at smaller sizes has been a long time coming.

For now I'm going to experiment with a post-export action to generate WebP images from JPEGs (or TIFFs).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converted to an idea/feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the end of the year every major web browser will be supporting (or have plans for supporting) the WebP format. The format is completely open source, so I am not sure why Photoshop is so far behind the curve on this. Please add native support in Photoshop.  The plugin is a crude work-around for what should be built-in to PS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This definitely should be adopted by now and much easier to manage WebP format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree -- this thread started 2 years ago and WebP is gaining ground. I'd appreciate Adobe helping it (me) out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't export to JPEG if you're going to process them again. Intermediate files should always be lossless, so PNG, TIFF (with encoding that isn't JPEG), or DNG will do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Shopify e-commerce website where customers upload their photos.  I then save them on my Mac and import them into LR.  Recently, Shopify started converting all those files to webp.  Now, even though I use LR, the premier, industry-standard, I cannot open my customer's photos.  Webp is open source and has been around for many years so it doesn't make sense that Adobe hasn't added webp support.  I had to buy a converter app to continue my business because Adobe has let me down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will we get support for webp on Lightroom CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love to see WEBP added in Lightroom and Bridge! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've successfully managed to get webp working on my site and I'm told that Google give these images preference, add that to speed improvement and you have significant SEO. For that reason alone webp will be a success so Lightroom needs to adapt to this a little faster than it is. I've had to create some script to check the browser and upload both JPG and WepP to account for the browsers that don't cover it (Safari would you believe!!!): Here's the gallery... https://charlessturge.com/corporate-photographer-london let me know if you'd like the html script and I'll post it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't have to pay for this because ImageMagick can do this for free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Safari won't be in any rush to support it because Apple standardised on the HEIC/HEIF format (HEVC-based).  Better compression and better quality.  WebP (and WebM) are a little long in the tooth by comparision (based on VP8), and its successors VP9 and AV1 are failing to live up to their promise of being unencumbered of patent issues (see patent troll Sisvel).  Looks like Apple made a good choice, or at least I'm more than happy with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't matter which format is better. WebP recieves better support across the board, so that is the format web developers will prefer, simply by virtue of browser support. Which one is the absolute mathmatical best format, is completely irrelevant.
You might not remember the war between VHS and Betamax, which is the defacto example of format war, where the best one didn't win.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should be fairly simple for Adobe to implement this. The WebP codec is opensource and readily available for a plethora of platforms. Even if people choose not to use it, format support is typically not in anyone's way. Just look at how many formats are supported by Photoshop.

If this doesn't get added very soon, shame on Adobe even more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@avpman  You are a Rock Star!!! Many thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebP exists since 2010 and has an industry-standard for pictures on the web. Yet Adobe doesn't seem to bother. I cannot export them neither in LR nor PS. Yes, there are plugins for PS, but I do my bulk-exports for eventphotos in LR and have no need for PS for sports pictures (for example).

Programs like ACDSee support the webp-format, I still need to convert them after exporting. Pls Adobe implement that format in LR so I don't have to convert hundreds of pictures every time I exported them from LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're not Adobe in this forum. we are other Lightroom Classic users who can't add features to the program. You need to notify Adobe, and you need to do this in another forum which Adobe does monitor and respond in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In particular, please add your constructive opinion to this feature request:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/camera-rawlightroom-classiclightroom-... 

and be sure to click Like and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will consider implementing the feature and you'll be notified when they do. Product developers rarely participate in this forum and won't see your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given that you might be waiting for a long time for Adobe to implement Webp, you might consider this workaround: Install Imagemagick or the Google Webp tools and use a LR Export post-processing action that will invoke Imagemagick's "convert" or Google's "cwebp" to convert the exported photo from JPEG to Webp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*jeremy_bowling Apple added WebP support to Safari 14 in September 2020. Most content management systems (WordPress, Drupal, etc.) lack native support for WebP.

DNG is completely open-source, but none of the major camera companies uses DNG. None of the major camera companies uses WebP either.

Better != successful.

Votes

Translate

Translate