• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Revert UI to older Camera Raw UI (12.2.1) after Interface Changes

LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after updating photoshop , when i opened it for the first time there was option to use camera raw as it is (vertical film) or to change it to new UI (with new look and horizontal filmstrip ), i just clicked new UI to see how it looks , i thought if i dont like it i will just go back to using older UI but there is no option to select older UI , i contacted adobe but person who was helping me just suggested that i should install older version of camera raw or ask for help from this forum , i found it bit frustrating that if there was simple option to choose new UI so why not give option to revert back to older UI with newly updated software. maybe its bug or adobe forcing people to use new UI even if they dont like it

Idea Declined Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Thank you for continuing to provide valuable feedback on the recent UI changes in Adobe Camera Raw 12.3. For some customers these changes have disrupted existing workflows, particularly for in-process projects. To mitigate these issues we have offered a roll back to version 12.2.1 so that you can continue your current projects under the old UI.

Adobe updated the Camera Raw user interface for several reasons. The new design supports commonly-requested features, such as a horizontal filmstrip, a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020
If you want to refer to 12.2.1, you can do so here: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 788 Replies 788
788 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a daily user and I hate it. More buttons to click further away, just to achieve the same thing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, for event photography it used to be the fastest option. Now it's added about 4 seconds per image. Way too slow when I have 1000 images to process per event.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% I too am a professional and agreed to an Adobe update, only to walk into this today. It will now take me all day to process yesterdays photos, instead of just this morning. That's wasted half a days when I would be advertising

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey Tranberry frequents these forums as the manager of digital imaging so not in vain at all....
We just need him to be honest and ethical about this mess instead of avoiding the issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. These highly paid 'professionals' are like politicians and weathermen. Roles where you are paid a lot of $$$ to fiddle with the truth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Jerry, but there's no point "adapting" to a system that fails to deliver. My business is based on bulk images and those things that you describe as a drag are complete waste of precious time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And why oh why have the download icon on the very corner that you click on to choose the next image, from all the way from the right side of the screen where I had to click on crop to zoom out. Much too much work

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always work with Camera Raw. But this last update is terribly bad for my workflow. I wish I didin't updated...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a possibility to go back camera raw 11.4. Go to the adobe camera raw site and make a download of camera raw 11.4

after you have opend  the zip you can install  11.4 and photoshop will work with the older 11.4 instad of 12.3.

I hope this will help you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a solution ... we all paying money for a working, uptodate software. This "bug" has to be removed from adobe asap. I can't understand how they could get this version out ... i can't finde any good feature in this version / new design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please give the old camera raw version. 
how I would like LR This would use LR.
make options so that I can choose the old / new interface.
new is a tragedy. why did Adobe ruin it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that changes will be made Dave, but part of the reason that we progress is that we do not tend to adapt to a new flawed system just because it's new. We either move away from it or continue as we are. Just because something has changed, it doesn't mean that it's better or that we should just adapt. 
My workflow has adapted over a number of years, and now, it's pretty much as economical as it can be. This change completely undermined that workflow so I have reverted to the original. If this hadn't been possible I'd have moved elsewhere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely agree with this statement from above:
~~~~~~~~ My workflow has adapted over a number of years, and now, it's pretty much as economical as it can be. This change completely undermined that workflow so I have reverted to the original.
<<<<<><>>>>>>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If one peruses the comment marked as the answer to this thread, one can perceive that Adobe is working on a fix for the latest version of ACR.  I'm hoping same involves an option to use the previous user interface.  Also note there is already a plug-in available loading the old UI.  Therefor I see no reason to castigate Adobe programmers with false assertions of their professional motives.

Bruce B

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with the majority here. I miss being able to save to a Database rather than .xmp sidecar for one issue. Then there are the other comments which I agree with. I guess I'm just used to the old Camera Raw GUI. I tried the new one. But honestly, the 11.4 Ver suits me just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The old database is indeed now gone. But its functionality differs from XMP sidecar files according to this:
https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/us...
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Anaina - I feel like a complete newbie asking this question although I have been working on computers for years.  The short version is that I, too, hate ACR 12.3 and want the ACR I have been working on for years.  But I don't see any way to revert to ACR 12.2.  

My Photoshop is now 21.2.0 Release but it brings up ACR 12.3 whether I want it to or not.

I have this link to the Camera Raw plug-in Installer page but do you know if I can just run the Camera Raw 12.2.1 Installer without uninstalling 12.3?  Creative Cloud shows me no way to do that. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't agree more.  // Since my post above asking how to revert to ACR 12.12.1 I've learned from various posts how to do it, I guess.  I haven't tried it because I have put a hell of a lot of work into my Photoshop / Bridge / ACR workflow through the years and I was very happy with the way things were.  Since the original directions as to how to do it came from someone whose advice I do not trust, I've been wary.  Fortunately, others have mentioned the same changes so I will try them over this weekend.  I still do not understand what the hell Adobe was thinking when they ambushed us with these changes sending us onto a one-way street which is a dead end.  I've been a loyal Adobe user for about 26 years now and don't want to use any other software if I don't have to but my work is far to important to me - and to my clients - to trust it to an untrustworthy software company. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read the article. And yes, they do differ. But what I wanted to do was eliminate the .xmp sidecar files as I find them intrusive and clutter the folder. Having the data stored inside the .CR2 file was simple and easy. No matter where the file went. We all learn to not always improving is in a positive direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I simply downloaded the older 11.4 Ver and ran it. Replaced the ACR 12.3 and then set the options as they were when I first installed. Back to normal as far as I can see. Just make sure you check your file handling options and other settings. You should be good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe treats proprietary raws as read only. So you can't eliminate sidecar files unless you move to Lightroom where this can be stored in a real database (the catalog). Or you can convert to DNG which will allow everything to be stored inside the container. 
I don't like Sidecar files either. I use DNG; everything and more is stored inside that container. Even a rendered JPEG of the current edits that could be extracted. Yes, bigger document to backup; I don't care. That takes place automatically while I sleep. 
You want all the data in one place; DNG is the answer for raws. 
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rolled back Bridge to 10.0.4 and ACR to 12.2.1
If you just roll back ACR the new Bridge does not like it

You can revert to the previous version of Camera Raw 12.2.1: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x

Bridge you can downgrade via CC Desktop

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the original Camera Raw Database has been eliminated?  What happens to users who were previously using the Camera Raw Database option and not XMP data? Does the ACR 12.3 update automatically create XMP files for all images in the current Camera Raw Database? That's a scary thought especially if it doesn't!

In Lightroom XMP does not include Virtual Copies, Stacks, Develop History, Pick Flags, Collections, saved Books, Slideshows, Web Galleries, Print Collections, Published Collections, and settings inside your Keywords. Some of these are supported in Bridge so where is that information stored?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the original Camera Raw Database has been eliminated?  

Yes it's gone:

The option to choose Camera Raw database to save image settings is deprecated. Image settings are now stored in XMP sidecar files or within DNGs. You can view the DNG settings under File Handling in Camera Raw Preferences.

AFAIK, that database was not the same as sidecar files by a long shot. So you must still create them for proprietary raws. 

Correct, LR's XMP doesn't include those listed items, they live in the database (catalog); another reason to either stick with ONE catalog. 
I often save out Virtual Copies I want as actual documents as DNGs (Lightroom Export). Now it's an actual data file, not stored in the catalog. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10 times slower. no custom size,and you cant move to the next photo with arrow keys 

Votes

Translate

Translate