• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 9 Widgets are not HTML5 Compatible am Using Responsive Project and Widgets Work in Firefox not IE 11

Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2016 Jan 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have Captivate 9 and I am using the built-in Captivate widgets (not the ones via Assets). I have created my project as a Responsive Project to be able to view in tablets. Captivate told me the widgets are not HTML5 compatible. When I publish to my LMS, I can see the widgets and interact with the course on my laptop via Firefox, but I cannot see the widgets at all in IE 11. Is there a way around this, or do I need to tell my people to download a different browser to use my course?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 07, 2016 Jan 07, 2016

You do not need to create a project as Responsive simply to have it play on tablets or mobile devices.

If the widgets are known to be NOT HTML5 compatible, best not to use them at all.  IE11 will usually work with Captivate's HTML5 output, but your widgets are probably not going to work in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2016 Jan 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not need to create a project as Responsive simply to have it play on tablets or mobile devices.

If the widgets are known to be NOT HTML5 compatible, best not to use them at all.  IE11 will usually work with Captivate's HTML5 output, but your widgets are probably not going to work in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2016 Jan 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, then. The projects I uploaded created in a standard format (without scaling) would not launch in my tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod is correct. Best not to use widgets that aren't HTML5 compatible if responsive development is your end game. Sounds to me like the widget you're trying to use is SWF. These won't work on tablets or other mobile devices. I have run into this before. I used the Jeopardy widget and it worked fine on the desktop, but failed on the iPad. Most desktop browsers still support flash, which is why the widgets will show up on something like Firefox. There's also this you can look at for IE11. If this is a short-term course there are workarounds, but if it's a long-term (as in you'll need access to it after browsers stop supporting flash) you may want to listen to Rod's advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I decided to build my own interaction the old fashioned way with buttons and hiding/showing text. Hopefully THAT won't fail...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You never specified which Learning interaction you were using, some are compatible with HTML5, not all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I am having the same issue - did you get this figured out?  When I preview my project, I have a Zoom widget (selected from the learning interactions tab) and another accordion button widget (same learning interaction) and when I publish (with the eventual plan of adding to my LMS - Blackboard, the widget disappears. I have published to BB with no problems previously, so I know it's not that.

Any advice is appreciated! I'm a professor of nursing, and not as tech savvy as most people on these forums.

Thank-you

Keri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. But I need a solution, because I need to use the widget, I cannot change the resource.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please start a new thread, this one is from 2016. Mention your exact version number and OS, and which 'widget' you are talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2019 Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a magical list that shows what widgets/interactions work and don't work with HTML5? Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I am having the same issue - did you get this figured out?  When I preview my project, I have a Zoom widget (selected from the learning interactions tab) and another accordion button widget (same learning interaction) and when I publish (with the eventual plan of adding to my LMS - Blackboard, the widget disappears.

Any advice is appreciated! I'm a professor of nursing, and not as tech savvy as most people on these forums.

Thank-you

Keri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am using the Timer built-in widget and the Carousel built-in widget and neither work with HTML according to the HTML tracker.

If the widgets are not able to be seen, why include them in the in-built learning interactions at all? It just add a layer of frustration when I have already built the course around these two widgets. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Imogen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something doesn't make sense here.  I just created a new blank CPTX with two slides and added both of those Learning Interactions from the button bar (Interactions > Learning Interactions) and they both worked fine in HTML5 and the HTML5 tracker did not list them as non-compliant.

Did you perhaps insert your widgets by going to the Insert menu and choosing Widget, then selecting these from the list of widgets shown in the selection dialog?  If you DID that then you would have inserted SWF widgets, not HTML5 widgets.  That would explain why the HTML5 tracker picked them up, and why they did not appear when you published to HTML5.

So, is that the likely issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

No I inserted them from the Learning Interaction menu.

I will try taking them out and inserting them back in and see if this works.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several learning interactions will only be fully functional after publishing and uploading to a webserver. Did you do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried deleting the Timer and then going back to Learning Interactions and inserting it again.

This time I get an error message that says "Not a valid widget". Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 8.13.07 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version do you use? This thread was about CP9....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources