• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate Quiz resets some progress on re-launch

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, any help with this issue will be much appreciated. Email support never responded to me. Chat support offered two solutions that didn't work and is responding once per day at most. Phone support had me on hold for an hour, then hung up on me when I gave them my case number from chat support. This is affecting hundreds of our users and delaying thousands from onboarding, so mission critical is an understatement. 

Okay, now that's off my chest, here's the problem: Our quizzes are sending bad data to the LMS. Best I can tell, it posts runtime data for the completed quiz on exit, only to then post incomplete runtime data that overrides the location from the complete data. This happens on our in-house LMS connected to our Rustici Engine server, and it also happens on SCORM cloud (sandbox, no LMS) so it's plainly the Captivate course. 

What the users see is the end result screen with their score, then they close the course. The sandbox or LMS score appears correct, but then if they re-launch the course to review their answers, it puts them somewhere in the middle of the quiz and their answers past that point have been erased. 

Captivate version is 2019 11.5.5.553 and a previous 2019 version I didn't record the number of before updating. Course is multiple-choice non-responsive project published as SCORM 1.2, quiz settings below. 

I've tried setting the Status Representation to Incomplete -> Pass/Fail, and Incomplete -> Complete with Quiz Attempted as the Completion Criteria, but the issue persists.

Thanks in advance for any help you're able to offer.

Screenshot 2021-09-20 15.15.01.png

Screenshot 2021-09-20 15.15.10.png

Screenshot 2021-09-20 15.15.19.png

Screenshot 2021-09-20 15.15.31.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

What you describe of the problem makes me think it is related to the fact that you are using SCORM version 1.2 and you have too much Resume Data from your course bookmarking to send to the LMS.

When SCORM 1.2 was released, the designers of the standard mistakenly thought that e-learning courses would not be very large.  So they only allowed for a small amount of memory allocated to the Resume Data.  However, course designers very quickly started creating courses with numerous interactions and

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you describe of the problem makes me think it is related to the fact that you are using SCORM version 1.2 and you have too much Resume Data from your course bookmarking to send to the LMS.

When SCORM 1.2 was released, the designers of the standard mistakenly thought that e-learning courses would not be very large.  So they only allowed for a small amount of memory allocated to the Resume Data.  However, course designers very quickly started creating courses with numerous interactions and quiz questions that exceeded the allowed space for the Resume Data.  What happened then was that when learners resumed a large course, some of the interaction data in the LMS would be overwritten by data from the second session.  The solution to this was SCORM 2004 which was designed with much larger memory allocation to allow for huge courses.

So, the first thing I would test in your case is to change the Quiz settings to be SCORM 2004 and then test the module again in SCORM Cloud.  IF you can confirm that SCORM 2004 would resolve the issue, then you need to find out whether or not your in-house LMS supports that version of SCORM. 

IF it does not, and SCORM 1.2 is the best it can do, there are some other options open to you:

• One option is to turn off Resume Data Bookmarking and tell all users for this course that they have to complete it in a single session.  No option to leave and return later.
  • You can also try reducing the amount of data being sent to the LMS by de-selecting the checkbox for Interaction Data.
  • Make sure the option under LMS Advanced settings for Send Data on Every Slide is NOT checked.
  • Change the Default Template to the one for SendTrackingDataAtEnd

QuizSettings.png

IF you do not have the option to go to SCORM 2004 and none of the tweaks suggested above reduce the data sufficiently to resolve the issue, then you may simply need to break your project into smaller modules to fix it.  The issue is usually related to just having too many interaction items reporting to the quiz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod, this looks like the right answer. The Captivate engineering team have confirmed that our courses are going over their suspend data limit, so we will either increase the limit (in SCORM Cloud this is in the Compatability Settings) or decrease the data by not sending the interactions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I believe that Rod did hit the nail, just one extra question: do you have at least one slide after the Score slide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes there is one slide after the score slide. Navigating to that slide at the end of the quiz (or not) does not appear to make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, if the underlying issue is overflowing the Resume Data, having a slide after the Quiz Results slide is not going to change that.  It's still a good idea to have that extra slide though because it can avoid other issues.

SCORM Cloud may have that compatibility option to artificially increase the Resume Data memory allocation, but I think you will find that option is missing on most other LMSs.  So, unless your LMS has the option to use SCORM 2004, reducing the interaction data flowing to the LMS is likelky to be your best option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources