Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate Save File size

Apr 17, 2006 Apr 17, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After removing several larger images (3300k) from Captivate and inserting smaller images (109k), I see that the file size is now larger than before. Does anyone know what this is happening?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 17, 2006 Apr 17, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the captivate file or the published swf (or exe)?

whenever possible always import bitmap images into captivate. Your published files will be smaller.

But if the cp file is your concern and if you're working on a computer with a 1 gig harddrive with limited disk space - i don't knwow what to tell about the cp file growing bigger. Where I come from, all we care about is the swf size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2009 Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've run into the same problem with the size of the cp file. The only way I've found to reduce the file size is to open a new blank Captivate project, give it the same dimensions, and then copy each slide to your new file.

You will most likely lose much of your project's button functionality, but it should reduce the cp file size significantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I know Captivate 3 had the bloating issue but as I understand it, this was addressed in Captivate 4.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previous experience, though with previous versions of Captivate, show an easy fix for this is to do a 'Save As'...then another 'Save As'.

This tends to wipe-out old 'pointers' and such for some reason. It can balloon again quickly, but this poor-man's 'compacting' process seems to get the development file size down to respectable.

And do note, generally, regardless of the size of the .cp file - it all works out in the end during publishing (in other words, a published .cp file that is huge and a published .cp file that has been 'compacted' will generally result in the same published output filesize).

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2009 Apr 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem that I have with large CP files is that my PC doesn't have enough RAM to publish them.  So when I strip out the unused library files and compress the jpeg background... it's still the same bloated file with the same publishing problem.  I did download the trial version of CP4 and I still have the same issue.  I think someone here said that CP4 took care of the issue... if you find that to be the case, can you please share what you did to reduce the file size?  In the mean time, I'll try the copy and paste trick into another clean file as mentioned here.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I once read in a blog posting that how you close the project can also affect file size. It was advised to close out of the project by using File, Close.  I don't know why this would make a difference but there seemed to be agreement that it did help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that the "bloating" problem has not been fixed in Captivate 4. I've also tried deleting library items as well as images from various slides, and the only fix I've found is to copy the slides to a new Captivate file.

The 'Save As' then 'Save As' method didn't seem to have any effect either. I'll try using File > Close from now on, and hopefully that will prevent the file from getting larger.

It's true that the size of the cp file doesn't effect the size of the output file, but it does cause other problems. For example, the text export/import option often doesn't work when the file size is too large. Large file sizes can also cause errors in saving the file and publishing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

tedpulse wrote:

It appears that the "bloating" problem has not been fixed in Captivate 4...

In that case I would definitely suggest you (and others) take a moment and report this to Adobe as a potential Captivate 4 bug.

Click here to visit the Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources