• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create multipe choice question (knowledge check) with more than 1 right answer

Contributor ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I wanted to create a multiple choice slide with 4 possible answers of which different ones could be true, how would I do that?

Simple example with 1 wrong answer
"If you could go wherever you want where would you go?"
- To the moon
- To New York
- To North Korea
- To (standin for wrong answer)

Some people would choose all, some only choose 1. But choosing the last one would always be wrong.
I think it can only be done with AA.

What is a simplest way to do that?
Put each answer as a variable and then tell CP what to look for?
Wouldn´t even only the wrong one need to be defined as all the others would lead to "next slide" or a "You are correct" text box. So, CP only needs to check against that, right?

This is all over the place, I am sorry.
But I don´t want to start on it to find out there is a official function to do that...

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Can you test this output, please?

https://www.lilybiri.com/published/QuizMultiple/index.html

I borrowed some slides from the Alliance QSP. It has 3 MCQ slides. Let me know if this is what you want. I didn't write out the answers. Solution can also have more or less than 6 answers on the slides, since I used Shared actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you need to  attach a score to that quiz slide? 

Will it be a MCQ with one correct answer, or are multiple correct answers also accepted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, only a knowledge check. So, simply a way to allow for either 1 or 2 answers in a multiple choice slide.

Correct answer 1: Learner chooses 1 option.
Correct answer2: Learner chooses 2 options. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you would need to use Advanced Actions and Variables to achieve this.  The default Multiple Answer quiz questions or knowledge check questions both require that you specify in advane which of the answer options must be selected to achieve a correct answer.  They do not allow for multiple correct answer combinations of selected options.

Another option you might consider is to use a Drag and Drop interaction as these do allow you to configure multiple possible correct answer combinations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RodWard  You don't know what preceded this question by the OP. His first idea was a D&D slide but with his goal he would have needed to formulate 64 correct answers. That is the reason for this second thread, an alternative with MCQ.

@nikolausm82011740 If it is a Knowledge Check slide, no need to transfer a score to a LMS, you can set this up with standard objects, learning interactions (like radiobuttons or checkboxes), variables and shared/advanced actions.  If you can give me one practical example, I could set up a workflow in a blog without having to invent an example.  I have many blog posts about custom questions but most of them date from the SWF period.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 heavy hitters responding? I'm honoured.

It is an interesting case.

It's about managing people. 

Question: please choose which scenarios are appropriate for when sitting opposite each other (manager and direct report)

Click buttons to select the correct answers. 

1: job interview 

2: asking a question 

3: giving feedback 

4: terminating working relationship

So, 1 and 4 will be correct but some might only choose 4.

Both cases need to be correct. 

All others are wrong. 

Wouldn't a quick and dirty solution not just require to simply check whether option 2 or 3 were chosen? Especially, if there were more correct than wrong scenarios. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you could approach it that way.  Basically you would be looking for INCORRECT answers to trigger an action.  But either way, the default quiz questions and KC question slides are not going to give you what you want because they are structured to look for correct answers, not incorrect ones.  You're back to using Conditional Advanced Actions, even to look for incorrect selections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had one idea that might work using the standard KC question slide set to Multiple Answer (checkboxes) instead of Multiple Choice (radio buttons).

Select the two incorrect answers (2 and 3) and use the Success action for the question clide to provide feedback that makes the learner believe they were wrong.  You just reverse the colours of the Feedback Captions so that the learner gets what looks like an Incorrect feedback caption when they choose those two answer options.  Sort of lateral thinking approach.  But the catch here is that they would have to choose BOTH of the incorrect answers to trigger the faux incorrect caption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating a custom question slide for such a short example is pretty easy. However, I would like to have some more information, remembering the other thread where you talked about 64 possible combinations:

• What is the maximum number of options you'll provide?
  • Do you want only to show a correct/incorrect feedback message or more? Like a custom score to add to a total score?
  • Do you preview only one attempt for each question or would you allow multiple attempts?

Reason for those extra information is that I want to set it up with as much flexilibility as possible, which will probably lead to shared instead of advanced actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the old D&D it would have been 3 sitting layouts and 6 scenarios. Now, I would split it up into 3 slides. 
So, 1 sitting layout with 6 answers times three.

E.g. first layout. Answer 1, 3, 4, 6 are correct and can be chosen as one pleases.

Each slide has different answers but that would be easy to change in the Conditional actions later.

It would be a simple feedback message with "click to continue to next slide" or "click to retry". So, multiple tries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, think I got it. Each slide has 6 answers. User can choose 1 up till 4 of the correct answers without checking any wrong answer,  to get the correct feedback. Usergets the incorrect feedback when 1 or 2 of the incorrect answers are chosen, whatever extra correct answers are also checked?  The '4' and '2' in it can also be less or more? Only one attempt for each question slide. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All correct except for "as many attempts as they want" until they get it right.
But a tip slide maybe not necessary (or a short text on the error message).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Infinite attempts makes it tough. This means you want a Retry message (that is fine) but also enable resetting answers. That will take some more time, have to finish another blog which I started yesterday and then try to set up such a slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would 3 attempts be easier? Probably not... Thank you so much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you test this output, please?

https://www.lilybiri.com/published/QuizMultiple/index.html

I borrowed some slides from the Alliance QSP. It has 3 MCQ slides. Let me know if this is what you want. I didn't write out the answers. Solution can also have more or less than 6 answers on the slides, since I used Shared actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I don´t know what to say.

This is exactly what I need.

Thank you so much.

Do you want me to wait for your blog and then reprogram what you came up with?
I guess I can not download the CPTX, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never offer cptx-files for free, due to many sad experiences with people stealing my expertise without mentioning me. Even now I shouldn't offer so much. Yes, you need to wait for the blog post and try to recreate what I have done. It is not so difficult in this use case. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully understand! I will wait for your blog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally I put this type of blog in the eLearning community, but moderation is very slow at this moment. To avoid you to have to wait too long, I exceptionally loaded it on my personal blog. Here is the link;

http://blog.lilybiri.com/custom-mcq-slide-with-multiple-correct-answers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looking at it as I write this!

You are too generous. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources