Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LMS Recording Quiz Answers, Not Saving Progress

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I wanted to reach out to see if anyone else has had experience with an issue like this or similar.

A few of our employees have completed a few sections of an eLearning module in our LMS. They exited out of the eLearning with the intention to return later and finish it up. When they re-opened the eLearning, it took them back to the very start so that they had to redo everything (no variables were saved).

Hundreds of other employees haven't had this issue and progress seems to have saved.

I ran a detailed SCORM report and can see that the employees HAVE answered a number of quiz questions within the eLearning - so they definitely have made progress.

It seems as if their quiz progress is being reported back to the LMS - however their place isn't being saved in the eLearning.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of issue or something similar? I can't replicate the issue myself.

The SCORM was originally a SCORM 1.2. Could this be the cause?

Any thoughts would be so appreciated.

Here are my reporting preferences:

preferences.PNG

Michelle

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the setting for 'Never Send Resume Data' under the Advanced button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lily,

This is the settings under the Advanced button.

I've just run a detailed SCORM report (below) and I can see that the person has answered every quiz question (with a point marking of ten) and pressed BOTH buttons at the end of the eLearning (with a point marking of 1)

Any expertise you could offer would be so appreciated.

security-awareness.PNG

preferences.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I still do not see the dialog box under the Advanced button in your first screenshot (Quiz, Reporting)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woops - I don't know how that happened!

Here it is:

advanced settings.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mention that this is a SCORM 1.2 course.  That version of SCORM didn't allow much room for Resume Data and consequently a largish course can quite easily overload the Resume Data, causing data to be lost.  This turned out to be a major flaw in the original design.

If your LMS gives you the option to use SCORM 2004, use that instead.  It has huge allocated space for Resume Data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod. I have since changed the course to SCORM 2004, so hopefully I'll see better results using that version of SCORM.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you continue to experience issues with the same users, I would suggest you may need to investigate either their particular PCs or the browsers they may be using.  Resume Data should be fed back to the browser from the LMS when the user reopens their browser for the next session on the same learning module.  If the Resume Data is not getting picked up by their system, either the user is doing something odd that breaks the SCORM API connection with the LMS during their session, or else there is some security restriction in place at their end that prevents the Resume Data from getting through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod.

It's strange because the quiz data is obviously being sent to the LMS - but for whatever reason the resume data isn't in these instances. More reports are coming in that users places aren't being saved - however they may be users that started the eLearning when it was still SCORM 1.2.

I'm also having weird cases where the LMS doesn't even register that her person has started the course, but in the background ALL of the quiz data can be pulled to show that that person has fully finished the eLearning program.

It's all a bit weird.

Hoping that SCORM 2004 is the answer to my prayers.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  This is sounding now more like you may have a significant issue either with your own network, or with the LMS.

Give SCORM 2004 a go for sure, but if that doesn't resolve the issue, you're going to have to get the LMS technicians involved in tracking down the source of this issue.  DO NOT let the LMS people fob you off with answers that blame Captivate.  That's their standard response.  But in my experience, 99 times out of 100 the issue will be the LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of curiosity, how big is this course?  How many slides and quiz questions? How long is the duration in minutes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The course runs for 22 minutes - and it's about 13.5MB. It's only going to get bigger soon when I add (optional) narrated audio for learners with literacy concerns, and with all of the strange glitches with completion, I'm really concerned about how that's going to work 😕

I've just found someone that wasn't marked as complete (she's sitting as 'In progress' - so at least the LMS has recognised that she's started the course).

I can see she has completed all of the interactions in the eLearning, including clicking the 'complete' button at the end. She did the SCORM 2004 version as well.

Other people are having their eLearning marked as complete fine within the LMS, so it isn't a universal issue, it's just random users.

I just can't work out what's going wrong with this particular course, it's driving me a bit mental.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't sound like a course anywhere near big enough to cause issues with Resume Data overloading.  And that should not happen at all with SCORM 2004.

I think you need to get your LMS people involved.  Something's not right here.  The SCORM data connection may be dropping out between the LMS and the learners while they're completing the modules.  Or perhaps those users are on a browser version that has issues of some kind. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having issues where the course starts from the begining when the LMS connection is broken. Is there anything we can do on our end to save progress? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue I upload again the training with this set up and nothing change... I still have issues with the data, I just can see the performance of the users from their accounts..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure it is due to Captivate? Did you test it out on SCORM Cloud to check if the LMS you are using is not the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

no yet i will test it in Cloud and see if the LMS is the problem. I am using the adobe learning manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources