• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Web Objects

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I have already watched the videos and seen the webpage for how to insert a web object into adobe captivate. However, no matter what I try, I cannot get the actual object to appear once I play my project. It appears in the filmstrip view though, and in the slide previews. Even using http://google.com does not work, so I know that the problem is not in the webpage itself. Are there any ideas or help someone can please provide? I appreciate the help,
Zachary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Hi Zach,

Are you loading the published project onto a web server? You need, it to be loaded onto a web server to be able to contact the site in the web object. If you are trying to load it on your computer it won't work. 

Cheers,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zach,

Are you loading the published project onto a web server? You need, it to be loaded onto a web server to be able to contact the site in the web object. If you are trying to load it on your computer it won't work. 

Cheers,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steve!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, except, for me, the web object does not even show up in browser preview. All I see is the frame of the object but it doesn't load. I can see the webpage in the filmstrip and on the stage but that's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have the same issue even though I have tried the following:

- published the project on a website;

- published the project in my LMS;

- published the project on SCORM cloud.

The web object still does not load.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SocProf

Does the web object load when in Captivate when you originally place it in your project? I suspect the issue is with the actual web object itself, perhaps it is a "https" resource or blocked some other way. If you can load it in the Captivate project itself, it should work, if it can't resolve in Captivate it won't work any other published way. 

Cheers, 
Steve 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

thank you for the reply,

yes, the object loads in Captivate. I tried both http (the object loads correctly on stage and in filmstrip) and https (the webpage formatting gets all messed up but I do get a preview). In neither case does the preview work. I also tried using a different webpage (I used Google) and got the same result, no preview, no loading on site or LMS. All I get is the object frame and nothing else.captobject1.pngcaptobject2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SocProf, 

It won't work in preview because it needs to be viewed from a web server, but if you published and loaded your entire project onto a web server or LMS it should work. Couple of questions. 

Is this page you are trying to access restricted to specific users?
Can you access any other web page from within or outside your corporate network if it is linked AND published to your LMS.

I am trying to determine if its a local issue with your network and network restriction policies. An easy way to check is see if you can access the project from your phone once uploaded to your LMS, or load a generic web page like google and see if you can access it once it has been uploaded to your LMS. Let me know your results.

You will have to do some testing to rule out certain issues prior to resolution.

Cheers

Steve 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

I tried both: I published to a public website and my LMS (Blackboard) which requires login, with the same result. And I did not use my college network either, just my regular home Internet (I checked my browser settings to make sure elements were not blocked one way or the other). And yes, I also did try using Google's home page instead of the webpage I want, just in case. No dice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK that is weird. Sounds like the problem is with your instance of Captivate, at least for this project.  A couple of more questions.

1.  What version of Captivate are you using? Are you running a Mac or Windows?

2. How big is the project? I'm thinking perhaps the one you have is corrupt, if its small you can copy and paste the slides into a new project to see if that resolves your issue, or start a new project, pop in a couple of slides and add your web object to one of them to see if that works.

3. Also do you have Microsoft Edge, (copy and paste the URL from your webserver or LMS) try to view it in that browser instead of Chrome.

Technically it should work, we just have to figure out why its not working for you. Keep me posted.

Cheers,
Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

1. Captivate 2017 education edition, Windows 10.

2. I thought of that, so, I created a new project with only one slide with the web object, nothing else. No difference.

3. I tried Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. No difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SocProf,

I think I have a solution. Its not the web object, it may be the length of time you have on the timeline for that web object. Captivate defaults to 2-3 seconds, if it takes longer than that to load,you won't see the object. Producing the result you are seeing. 

To test this hypothesis,either add more time to the object in the timeline by dragging it out, or adding a  "Click box" to create a pause in the timeline. Let me know how it works out for you. 

Cheers, 
Steve 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

this is something I had already tried, actually. I gave the slide 15s. No difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm.. can you show me a screenshot of your timeline? That is the only other place I can think of where there might be an issue. So I want to rule that out.

Cheers,
Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

here it is,

webobject.png

Side note: I really, really appreciate your trying to figure this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SocProf, 

No worries, I like problems.

Thanks for this. it allows me to rule out one final thing. So technically this should work for you. If you can see it in Captivate obviously  CP can find it.  So I suspect you may have two compounding problems. I need to clarify something to diagnose the first one.  

When you say you "published it to a public website" does that mean you used "publish To a Device" in Captivate and then uploaded all those files to a folder in the public html folder of a public webserver, and then copied the link to the index.html file and viewed it in  a web brower, or did you do something different?

The second problem may be your LMS may not be configured properly but lets see if we can get it to work on a webserver first to make sure its not Captivate.     

Let me know. 

Cheers, 
Steve 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

for the website, I used a basic weebly thing where I imported the project as swf file.

Same for Blackboard, I tried first as a swf file, then as a SCORM object (I have already uploaded a Captivate project SCORM and it worked, so, I decided to try).

In both case, I published the project to computer, not device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so now we are starting to get somewhere. When you published did you publish as just SWF or SWF /HTML5?

SWF may have a difficult time communicating with the web object and internet while HTML5 will work fine.  Did you try to preview using the HTML5 Browser?

When you upload a published Captivate project you really need to upload all the files in the folder as Captivate will look for dependant files in other folders to play.   So let me know about the html5 preview. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

these are the publishing settings I have used:

objectsettings.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you publish a file to SWF/HTML as SCORM, the default launch page is 'multiscreen.html'. That runs first when the piece is launched from the LMS - and decides whether it should run the SWF or HTML version. If you're testing on a computer, it's most likely deciding to show you the SWF version. You can bypass that and force it to run the 'index_SCORM.html' file instead (I think that's what its called) by editing the SCORM IMSmanifest file in the SCORM package, if you want to go that far.

Try publishing to just HTML and NO SCORM output Upload that file to your webserver and point the URL to the index.html file.

Does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to Eric's point you should be able to view it in Preview as well if you use "HTML Preview." Once we figure out the issue with web delivery we can look at your LMS issues.

One at a time.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

HTML preview produces the same results. The object does not load.

I tried this:

"When you publish a file to SWF/HTML as SCORM, the default launch page is 'multiscreen.html'. That runs first when the piece is launched from the LMS - and decides whether it should run the SWF or HTML version. If you're testing on a computer, it's most likely deciding to show you the SWF version. You can bypass that and force it to run the 'index_SCORM.html' file instead (I think that's what its called) by editing the SCORM IMSmanifest file in the SCORM package, if you want to go that far."

It didn't work either in LMS or website.

Actually, I had been publishing in swf / html / no SCORM all along so I already know that doesn't work.

so, pretty much status quo.

I appreciate the effort, but it does not seem that it should be this difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see a lot of issues since version 9 with the muliscreen approach (which is supposed to be used when you publish both to SWF/HTML and HTML5). Moreover the output can look very different as well, there is less consistency between both outputs as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this was posted years ago and the top comment is solved, but what about SocProf's issue? I have the same issue and I can't find anywhere with an answer. When I input a URL into the address field, it loads and shows up in the filmstrip and stage. But whenever I try to preview it via "project" or "HTML5 in browser," I get "[website] refused to connect." I'm using Chrome on my computer. And I've tried using my phone's data on Safari. Nothing.

The default URL when I insert the web object is WolframAlpha, which shows up when I preview the module and when I viewed it on my phone and computer when uploaded to an LMS dev site. But the other URL addresses don't. Is there a solution?

The first image is a responsive project. The second is a blank project.Blank.PNGResponsive.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you entering the entire fully qualified link address including HTTP or HTTPS at the front?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources