Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Update 22.5 Profile Limb Draggers Not Working

Engaged ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey All,

I updated Character Animator this morning and suddenly my dragger handles for wrists and heels have stopped working when my character is in profile view (frontal view seems to be working fine in some puppets.) 

Anyone else experiencing this and/or has a fix?

Much appreciated!

TOPICS
Bugs , Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've figured out that if I remove "draggable" from the same handle as wrist or heel, and add another separate draggable handle, dragging works again. However, this means updating previously working puppets and having to have lots of extra handles. I'm hoping the Adobe team has noticed and is working on fixing this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, it's not really working for the legs/feet as pinning from limb IK is still holding the handles labeled "heel" and "toe" in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 'Novice' fating with Character Animator. It sounds like you've already done my first suggestion — rebuild the puppet. Removing Behaviors, Handles, etc. I've had to do that after too many revisions to the original art file.

Other suggestions:

1) Make sure your the software you used to create the puppet art is up to date also.

2) Fake edit the original art file. Select a layer and using one of the arrow keys, move it one increment up, down, left or right and then back to its original location. The Save it. Perhaps having Character Animator update the "revised" file might pop it back into working order.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typo! "Novice" rating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Yes, I've tried all that. I'm pretty sure this is a bug that came with the newest update. Thanks though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm updating now. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem seems to be that since the update the walk behavior and the limb ik behaviors are interfering with each other. If you remove or disable the walk behavior on your puppets, it fixes the issue. Of course this means you can't have walk cycles on your puppets. Hopefully they fix this quickly. I'd honestly recommend rolling back to 22.4 until this is fixed. That's what I'll be doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried disabling the walk cycle - that didn't work - then I duplicated the puppet (because I don't want to lose the customizations I've made to the walk cycle) and actually removed the walk behavior all together, and now I can move the handles. So annoying and not a permanent solution... But thank you for your help @Caljerpon !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It only works for wrists, though, not heels...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you roll it back???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RaizelDesign_0-1655927605738.png

click the three dots on the side in creative cloud, then click other versions, then choose the previous one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked and the legs work on the old version. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. I hope they fix this soon. I was looking forward to trying out the new features in 22.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue... my wrist draggers are working but the heel draggers on my legs no longer work in any of my projects... i'm scared... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone encountering the same issue, I posted about it in User Feedback: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911317-character-animator/suggestions/45336175-after-update... please vote - maybe they'll fix it faster 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ty for letting me know this. I was looking for what I pressed wrong for an hour.. xD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread has a mix of questions and suggestions. Please let me know if you're running into any issues that AREN'T the following:

#1 Can't drag wrists on a Walking puppet - This is because we've changed some code under the behaviors to allow them to cooperate better. The way it previosly worked meant that Dragger and Walk were actually fighting for the handle. Here is an example of a way to get it to work right now: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/858ac3e1-cc6f-4ae8-4e5b-9482d4960588

I added a Walk behavior to each arm and set the strength to 0%. Now the Dragger, Body, or any other behavior can freely control the wrist or elbow handles. 

#2 - I have Initial Foot Pinning on in LimbIK(currently the default) and I can no longer drag the feet. It's now the case that you don't need Initial Foot Pinning on in order to get a character to stand with their feet on the ground plane. If you uncheck that parameter, you should be good to go. 

Please let me know if you have any other issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks. I reinstalled 22.5, tried this, and it did not go well 🙈

I'm attaching a screenshot of the rig and a video of the result for reference.

RaizelDesign_0-1656953604932.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In Beta (22.6) I tried your suggestion of removing "initial foot pinning" from limb IK. As long as there's no walk behavior, I can move wrist and heel pins, but once there's a walk behavior attached to the puppet, tagged handles won't drag. And if I use separate draggable handles and have a walk behavior on the puppet, even with "initial foot pinning" unchecked, the heel still distorts and tries to stay pinned to the ground.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines