• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Background processes hanging around after rendering a scene?

LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I queue up say 20 scenes to be rendered via media encoder (using CTRL-M in Ch), then go off and do something else. When I come back, I have a page full of character animator processes, hogging memory. It is like they are not exiting at the end of a render, so eventually the computer runs out of memory.  Exiting Media Encoder causes the processes to exit (and memory is freed up). Does this look like a bug? It means I cannot queue all the scenes in one hit and leave the computer on overnight to complete the render. (I think my episodes take about 4 hours to render on my lightweight laptop.)

Alan

TOPICS
Bugs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question. Asking the team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like this may be a known bug. We're talking to the AME team today, so thanks for your helpful screenshot.

Unfortunately, for now I'd say try one at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've nailed the bug. We're not releasing the process when it's no longer needed. This only happens when the application receiving the CH scene quits. Unfortunately, it sounds like that's not a suitable workaround for you.

I'm currently testing some beta code that fixes this problem. Feel free to IM me through the forum if you're interested in being added to the beta. Unfortunately, since this is a Dynamic Link issue, you would need to be using the beta for both CH and AME.

Dan R.

CH QA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rendering by media encoding is almost 50% faster on my laptop when I exit Ch and just leave Media encoder running. So yes, it is nice to be able to exit Ch while rendering.

It is not a critical bug - when you know about it there is a workaround (exit everything after a big render). But it took me a while to work out why some renders were failing sometimes and working other times - it was just running out of memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines