• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't download Character Animator

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday 9 Jan 2020 - I downloaded Character Animator for the first time. I have an older system (that cannot be upgraded any further) so downloaded the latest available version. 
This worked fine until I tried to import a commercial model and got the message saying it couldn't be imported, so I tried another, same messgae.
Looking for a solution here, someone suggested reistalling the app. So I deinstalled it and when I went to the app downloader but now there is only the option for the current version (which is incompatible with my system).
So something has happened in the last 24 hours that's suddenly made the app inopperable? 
Is there a way of getting an older version?

TOPICS
Bugs , Download and install , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specifics in terms of which version you had, as well as which exact OS version you're running are always helpful, but in general, the way to get any previous versions (if they're still offered) is by clicking the button with the three dots in the Creative Cloud app, choosing Other Versions, then choosing the one you want. If the puppet couldn't be imported in the version you had then I'm guessing it was created in a newer version and you probably can't do much about it. That being said, .puppet files are just ZIP files which you can unzip, grab the PS or AI art and import it into whatever version of CH you have. 

Keep in mind that while you can do this, you'll lose all puppet information that was added inside of Character Animator, meaning any rigging, tagging, replays, triggers, controls, etc. The only things that would be preserved are any auto-tagged layers due to proper naming back in PS or AI.
Older versions.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. The app is no longer available for my computer and there is no option for downloading the previous version.

In the end I downloaded it onto my laptop and transferred it on a USB stick and now I can use it on my Desktop. 

It's interesting that your image also shows Adobe Media Encoder too. Once I'd finished my animation in Character Animator, I found that it won't export to AME so I ended up having to record the screen with Quicktime to get something I can use. 

And I thought my frustration with Adobe products couldn't get any worse.
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 10.54.04.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As you mentionedin your initial post, you have a system that can't be upgraded anymore and unfortunately, that's the core of your issue. Adobe, like Apple and Microsoft, don't support more than three OS versions back. The time and resources that it would take to test and fix bugs on older configurations would detract from developing the software further. 

My image shows AME because that's just one of the apps installed on my system, but all of the Adobe video apps have the same minimum requirements when it comes to OS. 

You still haven't provided any info on what OS you're running or even what computer you're running, but if you're on a Mac then that means the latest oldest OS you could be running is High Sierra 10.13 which can be installed on Macs as far back as late 2009 (but mostly 2010). So if your computer is over 10 years old you can't exactly be expecting Adobe to ensure their software is running on hardware that old. If your computer is newer than that, please respond with what model and exact OS you're running and maybe there is something you can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines