• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Profile/Management in Character Animator

Contributor ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the color profile embedded in Character Animator?

Starting with my Photoshop art, I have been using Rec.709 Gamma 2.4, which is a recommended profile for video. Should I set my After Effects and Premiere Pro projects to this if I'm importing Character Animator scenes into those apps?

Color settings would be a nice feature.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Camera , Dynamic link , Feature requests

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

sRGB and Rec709 have the same color primaries and slightly different transfer functions. Either is fine for starting in PS.

the internal colorspace of Ch may change in the future so 709 is probably a bit more futureproof so that's my recommendation

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ch operates internally in sRGB, but will automatically convert files from whatever profile is included in the source artwork. On the output side, we will convert to the profile requested by the output from Media Encoder or the Dynamic Link client (which is almost always Rec709).

So Rec709 in Pr/AE is probably the best choice there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thanks very much. So there wouldn't be an issue starting in Rec.709 in Photoshop, then Ch converting it to sRGB, then output to an Ae then Premiere project in Rec.709? All the converting wouldn't cause an issue with one app or another? I don't that much about color profiles, so I'm just being sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sRGB and Rec709 have the same color primaries and slightly different transfer functions. Either is fine for starting in PS.

the internal colorspace of Ch may change in the future so 709 is probably a bit more futureproof so that's my recommendation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the insight, Daniel, I feel more confident now. And I would suggest that (many?) Ch users would like to see the same color profile options they see in Photoshop, Ae, Premiere and Media Encoder. Especially when Pro is added to the Ch name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2023 Oct 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im trying to figure out the color management issues with Character Animator, and I'm finding a few issues. I'll start with this one.

Character Animator doesnt seem to be sending its graphic data thru the ICC color profile on my Mac that allows for pixels to be offset for color calibration on monitors, so it looks wrong on the screen, uncorrected. This is different from every other app on my mac.

When I use a 3rd party color picker that samples the pixels on the screen from the grpahics buffer, the values in every app are always offset by the ICC monitor correction LUT except for Character Animator where the values report as original values unaffected by the LUT. I think CA addresses the graphic buffer on my Mac incorrectly? Somehow skirting around the ICC LUT so the display colors look wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

is this a known issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines