• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layering and Rigging with Parallax

Participant ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible for a puppet using parallax to have a piece of it hanging off the face background?

I can acheive this with a plain white background that is bigger than the puppet. In this example the red outline is a white background so that the mustache is visible.

1.PNG

But if I put the puppet in front of any background that isn't solid white then you can see the white mask.

2.PNG

Is there anyway to make this work without using the white mask? I feel like it isn't possible, but I'm hoping someone can help. I tried to upload the puppet file, but it was giving me an error.

TOPICS
Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't fully understand, but have you tried turning off the eyeball (visibility) of the white mask layer? Layers still have effect even when not visible like this.

The other thing you can try is use Transform behavior to change the opacity of a layer. Add a Transform to the white mask layer and try adjusting the opacity that way.

But I do not fully follow what you are trying to achieve from the explanation sorry - so I might be off course with these suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Sorry that it wasn't clear I wrote out a longer explanation, but I couldn't post it because of an error with the CH file. Thank you for your response.

1.PNG

So this character has a high face parallax, with the mustache and other features in that layer. To create the parallax I used a clipping mask.

The problem is, since the mustache runs off of the face, I need to have a bigger clipping mask behind so that the mustache is visible, otherwise the mustache just goes to the edge of the face and vanishes. In the above image you can see the white mask with the overflow to allow for the mustache.

Now in front of any background, the white layer clipping mask is super obvious and ruins the character.

I have turned off it's visibility, but that just makes the whole character vanish and I have turned it's opacity to 1, but the whole character turns to 1 because it is a clipping mask.

Ive tried shaping the mask to the mustache, but then the mustache just vanished off the edge of the mask if there is any head movement at all.

I'm thinking this just isn't possible and I just have to have no background or no mustache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ahhh, I see. Sorry, if that does not work... hmmmm. I thought there was some other setting saying how to combine the current layer - additive etc. Ah, here it is https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-character-animator/using/puppet-layers.html#Layerblendingmodes - I have never used this, but my last idea is to try using one of these modes to see if pure white (or pure black) can effectively do nothing to the final image. Hopefully it still clips properly as it is not transparent, but the blend mode ends up doing nothing. Pure white with Multiply is my guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines