• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Left arrow key doesn't work in this puppet's walk cycle. Why?

Explorer ,
Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me why the left arrow key doesn't recognize the left profile in this walk cycle?

Adobe Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

You've run into a subtlety in the way the Walk behavior determines the direction of a set of tagged handles. The trick to fix your situation is to move the right toe in the Left Profile a bit to the left (so that it is left of the right heel). Because the toe is slightly to the right of the heel, it is misinterpreting the feet as being right facing and ignoring them for left arrow triggered movement.

In a bit of a crazy coincidence, the developer that maintains the Walk behavior code just submitt

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've run into a subtlety in the way the Walk behavior determines the direction of a set of tagged handles. The trick to fix your situation is to move the right toe in the Left Profile a bit to the left (so that it is left of the right heel). Because the toe is slightly to the right of the heel, it is misinterpreting the feet as being right facing and ignoring them for left arrow triggered movement.

In a bit of a crazy coincidence, the developer that maintains the Walk behavior code just submitted a fix for our internal builds in the last day or so that makes the left/right profile tags sufficient to determine walk direction (response to left/right arrows) alone, so your current handle positions work in the next version.

Hopefully that helps.

DT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dan!  This was driving me crazy.  I spent 14 hours on Christmas Day trying in vain to discover a solution.  My next adventure is to figure out why the left/right walk cycle doesn't work on my puppets that have 3 profiles, all created in Illustrator.  It only seems to work on a puppet that has a frontal and right profile, with the right profile copied in ChA as the left profile.  I used the "Maddy" puppet from one of Dave Werner's YouTube tutorials as a template and my rendition simply will not perform.  The actual Maddy puppet works fine, but not the ones I created.  And I've wasted so many hours on this headache as well.  I even chatted with Adobe support on this, but with no help.  I can only surmise that Maddy was created in an earlier version of ChA (that used staples) and that there might be a glitch with the newer "auto" technique.  Do you have any suggestions on this?  I would attach one of my puppets, but I've changed the original Illustrator designs away from having 3 profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Walk has two modes for how left & right arrow work:

1) with one view it assumes you want the single view to walk forwards & backwards

2) with more than one view, it assumes you want to trigger a left & right view and have those views walk forwards

In mode 2 (triggering mode), it internally sets the views to Hide Others When Triggered.

To avoid triggering views that exist but don't have anything to do with Walk, when deciding which mode to be in (and for mode 2, which views get set to Hide Others) it ignores views that don't have any Body handles tagged somewhere within them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines