• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

One arms moves with body, other doesn't

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have created a character from a drawing and now when i move my head the right arm follows the body movement while the left one stays put. I have hopefully added my files to the drop down below i cant really see whats in there

TOPICS
Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No attachments came through sorry. You can paste screenshots directly into the text panel, but big attachments really need to be put in DropBox/Google drive etc and share a link here.

Are the arms independent? My guess is one is not attached to the body correctly at the shoulder. If the origin handle of the arm is not green (indicating attachment) the arm will not move with the body. A screenshot of the rigging hierarchy can also help spot common little mistakes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried uploading it to dropbox but they down allow for the kinds of files. I will see if there is something i can do about it. I have been comparing the two arms, but i can't seem to find any difference whatsoever. They are both independent, both have "weld" as attachment and both shoulders should overlap with the body. I will hopefully upload soon and provide a link. 
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even just screenshots posted into the text box here in the forums can help. On Windows i use "snipping tool", on mac I use I think control-command-4 which gives a cursor to draw out a rectangle on the screen. Then control-v (windows) or command-v (mac) when you have the cursor in the text box where you type here. You don't need to mess with the attachement stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a CH data and CH media folder i can upload, but cant upload the CHproj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/igu9mt0z2wqwjlc/AAD9u3oGaN96xENNJXBPuGt5a?dl=0 i've uploaded the puppet now, can you check why the arms dont act the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Next time you can reduce the size by only uploading the ".puppet" file - it has the complete puppet in it (you zipped up the whole project - which is fine, just bigger than needed).

A few suggestions / comments.

• I imported Niel.puppet into a new project. I turned on webcam and moved my head. Both arms moved fine - so I am not sure what the problem you are seeing. If you import the .puppet file does it work better? Maybe CH corrupted something internally?
  • Oh, do you mean you are trying to use physics to make the hands dangle down, so when you move the body, the arms point down? One arm is doing that more than the other. Hmmm. It looks like the shoulder is moving more on one side than the other, and that shoulder movement is what is causing the arms to move.
  • If you want to use the "Arm IK" behavior to stop arm stretching, you need to put the "Left Shoulder" handle on the torso artwork, not the arm. You put it where it attaches.
  • The arm joint is a pain in CH It *tends* to work better if you draw the arms in an "A" or "T" shape (basically arms out sideways, not straight down).

A suggestion that might help with a few problems, but it requires some minor artwork changes.

• Change the "Attach Type" for the arms from "Weld" to "Hinge".
  • For the end of the arm at the shoulder, draw a semicircle on the end. Otherwise you get a gap when the arm moves. Basically add a bit more artwork to fill in the gap that becomes visible when you move the arms.
  • To make it look good, you could take a copy of the brown straps (?) near the shoulders and put that copy above the arms. The purpose of this is to hide the end of the arm artwork a bit behind.

Filling in the arm...

alank99101739_0-1604540640611.png

Shoulder strap...

alank99101739_1-1604540824827.png

Layers

alank99101739_2-1604540868974.png

It *might* help.... and depending on how you want to move the arms, it might not!!!  You need to think about where the arms are going to move (in front of or behind the body, and frankly it is finky. 

alank99101739_3-1604541096609.png

All I can suggest is a few options and hopefully you find something you like... E.g. maybe just using hinge is good enough (the shoulder straps above might be more of a problem than it solves frankly).

I also tried putting a stick across the shoulders (from the top of one shoulder strap to the other). Both arms are then more consistent. (Maybe not "good", but "consistent"). I think the issue is one shoulder is wider than the other. Maybe a stick on one side only, or down the middle of the chest, might trigger the behavior you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines