Copy link to clipboard
these are issues concerning various aspects of Ch that I encountered that may be bugs and will be listed below:
1. Walk behaviour:
*After* I record a walking animation with the walk behaviour (wb), the puppet starts to make strange things, like:
- After pressing "play" or "record" it runs out of the scene into space where I can't see what I'm recording because the anchor point seems to go flying.
- After NOT pressing play, i.e., without ANY input from keyboard or mouse, the puppet sometimes still starts to walk wherever he thinks has to go right now. It's a funny-fresh feeling of animated life, but in production, too anarchic sometimes.
2. Face behaviour (why does "behaviour" get red dots all the time? This is the right spelling, for heaven's sake, so please at least include BE spelling!!)
- Heads that are displayed through a head-turner behaviour don't actually behave like faces until I select each of them and add that resp. behaviour. This is not intended, right?
- I have said this before: I think the lip-syncing is amazing, but not yet all ready. For example, I have the impression that only one out of ten "F" (or "V") get caught by Ch, while using a Zoom H4 stereo mic and especially trying to pronounce "Fs" extra clear in order to get lips on the wonderful viseme.
- When moving individual part's origin points around in the rig panel I don't see the green dots I think am supposed to see to indicate overlap/no overlap.
- If I delete recordings in a timeline in the record panel they sometimes don't seem to react well or, at all, and even if that content doesn't show any more, the lines sometimes stay.
Bottom line seems to me that there are very little bugs because that is one small list after many hours of work with Ch. Keep up the great work!
Hope this helps.
Copy link to clipboard
Thanks as always for the feedback Stefan.
1. Yes, walk can run into issues if you don't playback from the beginning. And if Body Speed is set to anything other than 0%, it can walk off the screen. Hopefully we can make these more user friendly in the future. I have found more consistent results if I arm more parts of Walk before recording, which can help keep things in place. I'll look into this more for future tutorials.
2. Head Turner should not require additional face behaviors to work (see Wendigo from the Start panel of a simple example of this working).
3. Thanks - lip sync will hopefully only keep improving.
4A. The green dots will be in the next release.
4B. If this recording issue happens again and you can take a video/screenshot of it happening, please share it.
Recording walking is driving me batty! I want to record the character walk across the screen and stop. If I set the body speed to 0%, the character does not move. So I set it to something around 17% (100% I suspect due to other scale factors races off screen never to be seen again...). But when I play back, it does not show the same thing as I recorded. Scrubbing backwards and forwards does not scrub through the walk behavior. If I pause playback, the character keeps walking. I find if I select another puppet and come back, it sort of resets the position. But I was expecting to be able to scrub through the character walking across the screen.
I will try 0% body movement and blending two positions (pretty ugly). I did have it all working with 0% movement and using After Effects to do the keyframing, but its so slow I am trying to do it all in Character Animator - so much faster.
Thanks! To summarize, scrubbing with walk does not work. Click the "Refresh the scene" button before doing the playback to make sure everything is reset correctly before playback.