Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is wrong with this fool's arm?! :D

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys!

First time posting here, I'm rigging up my first character after watching a bunch of Okay Samurai's amazing tutorial videos.

The *good* news is....man is this a great tool and super easy to use so far.

Buuuut....I cannot get this fool's left arm to work right at all, and they are both configured the same way (as far as I can tell).

Here is the setup for the right arm:

32c99ae97e6715baf1952ceba7c77556

and here's the right arm in action:

9f056269ea942a9356f8f3a82b78d84c

Then here's the left arm configured...looks identical to me?

24550ca46256640f1d67e7d18fb8ca27

But then look at this limp noodle go!

c010ff941b9b4c99cca5c999557b8b4d

Any ideas on how to fix this?

As a side question:  I'd rather the shoulders do a true "pivot" at the shoulder instead of doing that smooth bending transition (like, independent from the body, yet pivots at the shoulder point if that makes sense?) How would I do that?

Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Attach To" for the shoulder to the body has "Weld" or "Hinge". I think you want "hinge".

The IK-Arm behavior I think needs the shoulder tag on the Body, not on the arm (a common mistake).

The flexiness of the arms is often a function of whether all the tags are there in the right spots (e.g. is the wrist tag there? cannot see from screenshot). But it also depends on where the sticks in the arms are (unfortunately hidden by the tags).

Oh, it looks like you added an IR-Arm behavior (or some behavior) to one arm and not the other - see the little "lego block" like icon next to one and not the other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Welcome to the forums by the way! Sorry, in a bit of a hurry so was a bit terse there.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Alan! This has definitely gotten my character behaving a *lot* better.

*somehow* I had some random leftover behavior on the left arm that shouldn't have been there.  I couldn't see *what* the behavior was, but I could delete it and bingo-bango, things work better.  I have the Arm IK at the top puppet level per a tutorial I watched from Okay Samurai.  That's correct, right? One Arm IK behavior at the top works as well as two separate ones per arm (I guess you'd want two in case you wanted to tweak each arm I suppose...)

I still have a little weird stretching in the left arm as you can see here:

00e76c942b449a05ac42c81db8eda0f3

Any idea what's causing that? The stretchiness is set for 5%, and works fine on the right arm....

The right arm is darn near perfect, especially now that the shoulder hinges like it should! Thank you for that:

b943cdc055f2ebd2aad5bf874345e388

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For arm stretchyness I would check the tags on the arm. E.g. is the shoulder tag on the main puppet? Where is the wrist tag etc. A screen shot of the new arm rigging could be helpful. Maybe also check the length of the sticks on both arms. Since one works and the other does not work as well, I would be checking each arm for differences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there Alan!

Sorry for the delay, life got a bit crazy for a week 😄

I even started over with a fresh Adobe CA project and it's still wonky looking.  Is it possible for you to take a look at the project file yourself to see what's wrong?

zip file of Project on Google Drive 

I would really appreciate it! If I can get this dang arm working, I can start on recording some animations for my stream!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the ZIP file but it is missing the artwork file. If you click on a puppet in the Project panel, the first property over on the right I think is the path name to the artwork file. Can you supply a copy of that as well? Debugging without it is a bit tricky.... (See below)

Note, it was a bit confusing the left arm being in the layer "Right Arm" and vice versa. The shoulders were correctly labeled. I waw wondering if this was causing a problem. I note the the wrist was not tagged the same on the two arms. Also one of the arm does not have an Elbow tag on the elbow

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OOPs! I guess I exported the project instead of the puppet.  Here is the puppet export:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rh0SwYPDeSIziFA0d3bVx8GREnVzyKj0

Good catch on the right/left arm mislabeling! My artist didn't realize it was supposed to be labeled from the character's perspective.  I changed the names of the layers but it still seems to be wonky.

Looking at it, both wrists and elbows are properly labeled, so it will be interesting to see what you see on your end.  Maybe somehow it looks right to me but isn't saving correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think its getting close. You can consider reducing the IK Arm "Stretchyness" property to smaller to stop the arms stretching if you like.

But my final suggestion is the bounding box for the arm is not quite right. I am wondering if that is affecting the warp. The problem is you have a series of hand positions that are hidden, but still present and not attached to the arm. That is why the blue bounding box is so big.

image.png

It is even clearer if you turn on the mesh icon.

image.png

This is because the artwork is not all connected (even hidden stuff must be connected as CH assumes you might use a trigger to make it visible - so its always treated as part of the artwork).

The other arm in comparison has the mesh nicely hugging the artwork (not the whole bounding box).

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That was it! The stinkin' little hands left over from the tutorial template! LOL

Thank you so much Alex, that fixes it for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines