Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Activate license for ColdFusion 2023

Explorer ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have installed CF 2023 with a trail edition  which turned out to be developer edition.

and now currently have a license for enterprise.

I'm not quite sure how to convert the developer edition to enterprise. as ,  when I'm trying to activate the license from CF admin console --> license & activation. it shows "Please enter a valid serial number."

I'm thinking I should have a separate installer for enterprise edition? register the CF product with the license to get the installer?

Can someone provide guidance on how this would work to go with an enterprise edition? 

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Finally, I was able to activate the license using offline activation (still not sure why it failed although I had internet access ).

anyways, this link prolly might be helpful for someone who doesn't see Generate Activation Request. under "License & Activation".

Also, I felt the instructions might have to be more clear to understand. but, anyways, this is what I did --> https://coldfusion.adobe.com/2024/02/cf2023-offline-activation/

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience with previous CF versions, there's one installer for all versions: trial, developer, standard, enterprise. I don't think that's changed with 2023. In those previous versions, the trial version runs for 30 days, and then becomes the developer version. You should be able to install a valid serial number to convert trial or developer to standard or enterprise, or standard to enterprise.

In your case, this doesn't seem to be working. I'd open a support ticket or send an email to cfsup@adobe.com.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no separate installer, only one. And yes, during that install you could have put in the serial number. You did not. 

And so the page you point to is where you would now enter that serial number. You seem to doubt/question if that's what you should do. Have you tried it?

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave and I were writing at the same time, but I do still stand by what I said. 🙂 And I look forward to hearing how things go, Manoj. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dave Watts  @Charlie Arehart  thanks for the response. well,  I tried to activate the license multiple times but it says invalid serial number".  may be need to check with the sales rep or open a ticket(doing as we speak). 

@Charlie Arehart  glad you responded. I found an article of yours. not quite sure if I understood it correctly. please see the highlighted in the screenshot below.

Manoj36229141q88d_0-1714664340607.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's address both points:

1) First, about it saying you offered an invalid serial number: you say above that this is CF2023. Are you entering a serial number that you were given for use with CF2023? Or might you be trying a license you had used for CF2021 or earlier? That would not work. 

And does the serial number start with 1187- or 1185- ? If not, that's some non-CF serial number. If that happened, where did you get the license? In an email? from an Adobe web site? If you paid Adobe for a license (and you were the one who paid), you should find it at https://account.adobe.com/products, or perhaps at the older https://licensing.adobe.com/

2) As for what that screenshot (from my talk) is saying, it's simply indicating how while you were running CF as the Trial and now as the Developer edition, there is no "activation"--because there is no license entered when running in those modes.

(FWIW, if one enters a license and it IS activated, but later somehow Adobe deems the license should be DEactivated, then you would see you were back to the Developer edition.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Charlie Arehart , our serial number starts with 1185.  I tried giving the serial number at the time of installation with full edition. but, it has given me developer edition. and yes, this is a serial no for CF 2023 which was obtained from our  vendor. 

@Priyank Shrivastava. ,  I did open a support ticket and waiting to hear back from them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I'd noted below last week, it will certainly be interesting to hear how this all resolves.

In the meantime, one last suggestion: look in the cf logs folder.. Do you have a license.log?  If so, check what it's reporting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see a license log file under cf logs and nothing on the catalina logs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough. That's why I'd said "if so", about whether you may have one. Again, let's see now how things go for you with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Manoj36229141q88d  Kindly open a ticket with my team at cfsup@adobe.com. We will take care of this issue.

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While your stepping in to offer help is good to see, Priyank, it would have been helpful to hear from Manoj on what I'd asked above. It may help others reading this or finding it in the future.

Indeed, I hope you or Manoj will inform us of the ultimate resolution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie,

I will update the thread with the resolution. My colleague is working with Manoj.

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, I was able to activate the license using offline activation (still not sure why it failed although I had internet access ).

anyways, this link prolly might be helpful for someone who doesn't see Generate Activation Request. under "License & Activation".

Also, I felt the instructions might have to be more clear to understand. but, anyways, this is what I did --> https://coldfusion.adobe.com/2024/02/cf2023-offline-activation/

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2024 Jun 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the very same issue.

I had a trial version of Coldfusion 2023 which expired and turned into developer mode. I bought a Standard Coldfusion Sever license from adobe and tried to enter that license into the CF Admin screen - but kept getting an "invalid serial code" message. No typos - I copied and pasted and tried manually entry. All with the same result.

Then, using your offline solution (and my same serial code) I was able to get the license to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2024 Jun 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jeff and Manoj, since you found only the offline activation to work, I'd like to ask you both: are the servers in fact offline (no internet access)? That would certainly explain why that solution worked/was needed. Otherwise it really is as simple as dropping the license into page to convert the trial or dev edition to standard or enterprise, without even need of a restart let alone any reinstall.

Or maybe you'll say your server is online/has internet access. In that case, perhaps it's that when cf reaches out to the url used for activation, that request is blocked. Maybe you have a firewall limiting outbound connections. Note that the page on activation lists the domain names called, if you need to white-list them. 

Be aware also that if offline activation was required (and cf can't reach the server to check on that activation), you'll have to deal with this is ways discussed in those docs. That's why it's best to white-list those domains, to avoid such challenges.

As for truly air-gapped servers, well, folks running those are used to (or learn to deal with) the challenges that imposes, all for the sake of security of course. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation