• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Creative Cloud applications on Ubuntu/Linux

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud does not support Ubuntu/Linux. 

Please see the minimum system requirements needed to use Creative Cloud:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 693 Replies 693
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2013 Aug 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see here, and frequently on many boards, dismissal of linux because it only represents about a 3% marketshare on desktops. Its used as an attack, and often accepted by linux enthusiasts. Its wrong. Consider first that the Mac desktop marketshare is only 7%, yet adobe and everyone else is happy to build for it. Android is linux, and has the vast lionshare of the moble market. Chrome OS is Ubuntu is linux, and chromebooks are the fastest selling laptops on Amazon and other sites. Consider also that when you say marketshare, you mean sales. Aside from Android, ChromeOS, and the occasional (rare but increasing) laptop with an ubuntu pre-install, there are NO sales figures to base linux popularity on BECAUSE ITS NOT SOLD. Let me give you a real example. My wife and I own 2 cell phones, one tablet, 3 laptops and 4 computers. 2 computers were pieced together, 2 where bought with windows. All 3 laptops came with windows. 2 cell phones and 1 tablet came with Android. So, the sales figures say I own (and am assumed to use) 2 copies of windows and 3 copies of Android. NONE of them run windows, not one. In actuality I have 2 android cell phones, 1 android tabled, 4 Ubuntu desktops and 3 Ubuntu laptops. Get the picture? My company is even more misleading as every desktop and laptop there was bought with a pre-install of windows, and, again, NONE of them run windows, they are all Ubuntu machines. My company has 4 physical servers and, at the moment, 82 cloud based servers. ALL of them run..... yup, Ubuntu. Yet, if a company looked at all of this and determined the "market share" of my little circle it would be (roughly) 100% android on the mobile OS, around 98% windows on the desktop, 100% windows on laptops, and 100% linux on the servers.

If your thinking those numbers look familiar, its because thats pretty close to what the industry puts out as market share statistics each year now and claims to be actual USAGE statistics.

I recognize my case is probably atypical, but over and over on linux forums you have users ask "whats the linux market share at now?" and the answer is always "we dont have a market share because we dont sell it, we give it away, so theres really no way to measure it since one download could install to 100 computers, and theres no way to know if those are fresh builds or linux is replacing win / mac". The point is, the 3% quoted marketshare is likely so far from accurate that its really useless, and considering that macs have only 7% (and dropping like a rock) yet have been a profitable platform for Adobe, perhaps the issue deserves some attention.

As we speak, Im fighting my new laptop that just arrived. It has win8, and Im looking to drop Ubuntu on it, and then VMware so I can have a virtual windows install for adobe to run. Yes, its that rediculous. It gets worse. Win 8 comes with a nifty bios lock, making it more difficult to install any other OS on those machines. Most manufacturers no longer provide installation media (install CD), or activation codes for windows, so Ive got to work around all of this so that I can have adobe and still have a decent OS.

For all you non-believers, whats so bad about windows? Another topic, but Im not just some hater. I grew up on windows. Try Ubuntu, or Mint, just try it. Youll never go back (except to run Adobe for now)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2013 Aug 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider first that the Mac desktop marketshare is only 7%, yet adobe and everyone else is happy to build for it.

Macs are used by business people while linux boxes are mainly used as servers.  That's the difference.

No commercial software maker would waste time making software for linux boxes.  It is completely waste of time and resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sure would love an alternative right now. I have been a Windows user for 10 years and before that a Mac User for 12 years. Windows 8 is horrendous. There is no way I can use it for work. Even with the 8.1 update. I need a professional workstation OS for power users. I am going to stick with Win 7 for as long as I can and have plans to slowly transition back to Mac OS X. I am waiting to see if Apple does the same as Microsoft and totaly destroy the desktop OS like MS did. Right now it does not look like they are. I just wish I had a third option and that it would be Linux. There needs to be more OS choices out there. Infact with Linux being open source Adobe could release their own version of Linux that way the CC runs great on it. They could make it and Ubuntu variation like so many do with little cost. Adobe Linux. Talk about a power users dream come true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thnk you're absolutely correct there.

Incorporate all Adobe CC products into a GNU/Linux OS and sell it only as a subscription. No incompatibilities with the OS going forward. Seems like they could charge twice the monthly fee. Something like $99.00 a month would be more than reasonable. And just think on saving to the Adobe shareholders when the programers would not have to be chasing all the OS bugs that they now claim that causes all their bugs.

Adobe may even want to consider offering Adobe CC/GNU/Linux on there own hardware for $750.00 to $1,000.00 a month to avoid any hardware incompatibilities and with a motherboard dongle if they are really serious about stopping piracy.  Just think about that savings in R&D to be compatable with all the hardware varations out there, and the hardware could be assembled in China, and a hugh return for the shareholders then. A new Sun Spark workstation here we come.

After all it is all about profits anyhow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Priceless. Thank you for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just thought of one major road block to Adobe Linux. Microsoft Worshiping IT departments. The last three places I have worked the IT policy is basically if it is not Windows it is not getting on our network. It is really annoying that a lot IT people never look beyond MS. I already have a hard time getting the IT department to allow me to use the CC because it is not part of the "Standard Image" This would be a huge hurtle for ann Adobe OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Xeon64 wrote:

I just thought of one major road block to Adobe Linux. Microsoft Worshiping IT departments. The last three places I have worked the IT policy is basically if it is not Windows it is not getting on our network. It is really annoying that a lot IT people never look beyond MS. I already have a hard time getting the IT department to allow me to use the CC because it is not part of the "Standard Image" This would be a huge hurtle for ann Adobe OS.

well, nobody is taking about releasing CC ONLY on linux. If your IT guys insist on windows, use windows. Then go home and use whatever you want.

IT folks are like everyone else. They pick a side, then get comfortable with the tools they know, then everything else is not as good, or insecure, or whatever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is why I think Adobe should have their own complete package, hardware and all totally controlled and administered by Adobe from the internet. Not much different that say a Fiery EX print server. Plug into the network and away you go. Now just how productive you could be with that setup!

Seems it would be a much better alternative then this subscription mess they currently have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe.Hacker wrote:

Consider first that the Mac desktop marketshare is only 7%, yet adobe and everyone else is happy to build for it.

Macs are used by business people while linux boxes are mainly used as servers.  That's the difference.

No commercial software maker would waste time making software for linux boxes.  It is completely waste of time and resources.

Actually Windows has the buisness market, always has. It actually has nearly all of the desktop market, but that's it. Linux has the vast majority share in phones, tablets, and servers, and a rapidly growing minor share in desktops. Apple, who has lost dominance in the designer demographic, in the youth demographic, phone market, tablet market, and never had it in the desktop or laptop market, simply has only a minor share in desktops which has been rapidly shinking.

The argument was that apple has been profitable and worth building for in Adobe's eyes despite having nearly no market left. Perhaps the second death of apple has just happened to quickly for Adobe to react to, but IMO if something as insignifigant as the modern Apple market is worthwhile then you cant really make the second statement like you did without sounding completely out of touch. Especially since it's not like Adobe would be the first "commercial software maker to waste time making software for linux boxes",  they are practically one of the last.

And what exactly should the difference be between a desktop OS and a server OS? Linux has the server market because it outperformes the others, its more secure, its easy, and its free. Yes, that sounds horrible on a desktop.

Lastly, you dope, you use linux every day. Practically everyone does these days. Its in almost every electronic gadget laying around. Even your precious Apple gave up on making a decent OS of their own, took FREE linux, put a locked GUI on top, and sold it to you for half your income.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2013 Aug 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALL of the major VFX software houses produce Linux versions of their main software: The Foundry (Nuke, Mari, Katana), Autodesk (Maya, Smoke, Flame), SideFX (Houdini). Major VFX shops already have Linux pipelines (Framestore, DNeg, Cinesite, ILM, Weta).

There is a weird split in Linux software, there's free software, and there's very high-end very expensive software. What's missing is exactly mid-range software such as Adobe, destop publishing and a non-linear editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Lightworks as an NLE.  Be sure you have a workflow set up before using it for an actual project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always worked in a Mac studio, however, there's a growing distaste for Apple lately. No designer is willing to move to Windows, however Linux is a perferred solution for many.

The only thing keeping us here is Creative Suite. And now that Cloud is going to force our hand to upgrade to 10.8, or 10.9… I'm extremely worried and will have to look at alternatives to the Suite unless Adobe does something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ryan_AcceptableUnusedNam3 wrote:

I'm extremely worried and will have to look at alternatives to the Suite unless Adobe does something.

I hope you won't waste any more time NOT looking for alternatives because Adobe is "NOT GOING TO DO SOMETHING" and you should not be living in a cloud cuckoo land waiting for somebody to do something for you.

If you have read the 52 posts before you, then you should know that there aren't any good alternatives and so the life has ended for people like you here with Adobe CC forced upon the headless chickens of this planet.

If you are using Adobe products for business then why are you complaining about CC?  You have to use it for your job; PERIOD.  No IFS or BUTS here.  Just start using it and be happy or some educated people might say be gay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2013 Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a 2nd year IT student and have been using Ubuntu for some time now after coming to Linux from M$ and even trying Mac OSX - none have compared to Ubuntu/Linux/Unix (even though Mac OSX is built using Unix, it's still another wrapper and it offers none of the benefits due to Apples restrictions.) It takes a while to learn to use a Linux system, but it takes just as long to learn Windows for the first time! The only difference being that we were introduced to Windows very early and as such we adopted Windows no problem because it's "what everyone knows and uses". I feel that our society is built on nothing but double standards. Here are some examples:

Currently, some 80%+ of super computers in the world are running Linux! M$ doesn't even come close to being able to compete with Linux in terms of stability, security and speed and Windows 8 was a flop. (Get your panties out of a bunch and stop looking at sales figures; in terms of GETTING WORK DONE, Windows is useless now. Oh, and Windows 8 has a built in back door for the NSA. If you don't believe me, Google it and you'll see that Germany leaked the information.)

Some more than 60%+ OF ALL INTERNET WEBPAGES are being delivered to Windows via servers running Linux! (Apache)

Many companies also use Linux to code software for Windows!

Google mostly uses Linux in their server farms. Why? Because Linux is the NINJA MASTER of stability and reliability. (Seriously, have you ever tried to update a M$ Server?????)

Now the double standard:

If Linux is the standard in terms of Internet backbone infrastructure and Web Servers OS, why wouldn't any company want to adopt Linux versions of their software? Everyone, even M$, knows that Linux is poised to anhialate Windows out of the workplace. Windows 8 appears to be an OS built for play. Mac OSX is unusable due to Apple restrictions. Oh and the fact that it "has to run on a Apple hardware" - not really but we'll let them think that

My point is, any company (Hey, Adobe!) that shuns Linux, is clearly going down the same rabbit hole M$ will, and is, going down. Linux users WILL PAY FOR QUALITY SOFTWARE!!! What is so hard to understand about that? Clearly we all love Steam for coming to Linux just go online and look at all the praises they are getting. Not to mention they tapped into a source of revenue no one else has tapped! Adobe, you would be wise to listen to your Linux customers. Listen, or get left in the past like M$ with your pride and a useless product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2013 Sep 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

I'm just going to drop this here and say you guys are literally the only reason I have left to use Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2013 Nov 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He was talking about desktop market share, not market share in general.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree and as an IT consultant see that setup much more frequenty than most would think. True that the majority of Linux is living on servers. But consider this. With some easy xHosting functionality at even little graphics firm; you can setup a nice 4 way server running linux and xhost CC sessions on $200 dumb terminals. Anyway, it won't happen because most IT people out there were told that they have to pay $$$ for their Microsoft Network Engineer Cirtification and that they can charge more and make people pay more for MS IT infrastructure. Of course, they usually don't know how to use anything other than Micro$loth which might not eliminate their position right now; but they will eventually be obsolete.

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a server version of Photoshop that Adobe was testing but never released. I think it was around when CS came out. We looked into it for our staff. Basically PS would run on the LAN and everyone accessed it from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2013 Aug 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you. And on top of that big gaming companyes now support linux. Like Valve the owners of steam. Who are pushing to get ever game in their store to run on linux nativaly. So adobe really has no reason not to support linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+ 10. Perfect summary. I totally agree. Windows market is larger only because of huge amount of office workers. Yeah, big cities, big buildings. They even have no choice. And eg. Adobe (producer of software for professionals) makes decisions based on market of non-professionals. It is ridiculous!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2014 Feb 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Even Windows has moved more towards the novice and more away from the professional. The more focused on things like web development I become, the more I need a Linux system and the less Windows works for me. Yes, I have a Mac, but they are incredibly expensive just to get access to a quazi Unix system.

I think if a lot of companies decided to start developing for Linux, they would surprised at the number of people who would be stwitching from the big 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2014 Mar 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Ubuntu 13.10 x64, wine 1.7.13

I working on it Adobe Muse

and Adobe Edge Reflow

But I need to update the installation files ".exe" (or .msi).

Please give links to files. 

Because CreativeCloudSet-Up.exe not installed on the server.  

Or let the installation file CreativeCloudSet-Up.exe 

because it tries to connect to the server and it does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 03, 2014 Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 7 works perfectly with Wine. Adobe killed Wine use when they added all the anti-piracy features to their software. It started with CS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2014 Mar 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive spent the last several days reading up on this issue. I have been considering moving all of my photo workflow to Lightroom and Photoshop.

After seeing that this thread has been viewed 50,000 times, and that thousands upon thousands of people have shown serious interest in buying and using Adobe products on Linux, I can only come to one conclusion...

If Adobe is willing to turn down 6 figures monthly, it means that they stand to gain something by doing so. Ive heard them say that there is no profit in it, that its to hard to do, etc etc. None of this is true. There are millions of dollars a year in potential income being intentionally ignored. They have not been indifferent, they have actively opposed the use of Linux and open source software. Even when the community at large made it possible to use Adobe CC by writing the software that they wouldnt, they not only didnt support it, they actively undermined the functionality of it.

There is something going on behind the scenes that Adobe is not being forthcoming about. I believe that if we looked hard enough, we would find out what Adobe is actually gaining by actively undermining Linux operating systems, and perhaps who is making it worth their while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 27, 2014 Mar 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can tell you why they won't. It is is not what they are gaining by not supporting Linux. It is what they will lose by supporting it.  The person behind the curtain is Microsoft and Apple. If Adobe supports Linux Apple and MS will go out of there way to hurt Adobe. Ex. Not givening them access to platform development tools, prereleases, and more. It is Appler and MS that do this to software developers. Microsoft threatened Dell years back for selling Dell machines with Ubuntu. Dell was promoting Ubuntu. MS was going to pull some of its support to Dell if they continued.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines