• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Creative Cloud applications on Ubuntu/Linux

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud does not support Ubuntu/Linux. 

Please see the minimum system requirements needed to use Creative Cloud:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 693 Replies 693
New Here ,
May 24, 2014 May 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

STOP paying Adobe until they make a Linux edition of CC
I don't have to pay for Windows and  for Adobe to use it

It is not logic or fair to switch to an OS that I don't want just to use a software !!

Adobe Creative Cloud Linux (Ubuntu) User Walkout scheduled for June 06, 2014

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2014 May 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you stop making payments then your products will stop working then how are you going to do things that you were doing with Adobe products? there are no alternatives and that is why people are still using Adobe Cretive Cloud Products.

You really need to be realistic. Are you running your own business? If so then you should know that you have to keep creating revenue streams by different means and wasting time on Linux products isn't one of the means to achieve this.

Hope this helps you to remain sane for some time to come.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2014 May 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux provides a reliable stable and predictable platform with usable environment (unlike Windows 8 for example) but many users are binded to Windows as they are binded to the Adobe platform. For them the only reason not to use Linux is absence of native support for Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects e.t.c.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2014 Sep 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a Photoshop user since 15 years now and I am increasingly saddened by having to drag a windows machine around just for the sake of Photoshop.

Move on Adobe! You are not making games but software for professionals.

OSX and Windows are no longer operating systems for professionals but for your mom and her aunt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 07, 2014 Sep 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OSX and Windows are no longer operating systems for professionals

Really? What are these operating systems for the professionals and what

do they use it for? Apart from using Adobe and Microsoft software for

business what other software packages are there that runs on other

operating system or systems for the professionals?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2014 Sep 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I have to agree OSx is a lost cause; but most professionals tend to have a few windows boxes around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is pretty ridiculous. Just don't reply to mytaxsite.co.uk. It's only feeding the fire.

So far he has proven to be Narcissistic, Racist and probably unemployed. Who posts at the adobe forum for a living?

Unless you work in a .net shop it is very unlikely that you will be in contact with windows outside of a VM.

It's annoying that we have to run windows in VMs or reboot our Macbooks to shitty OSX to get access to Photoshop.

Ubuntu made leaps in bringing the Linux desktop forward but Linux numbers will always be bad with so many OEMs not even offering it.

Users never change what comes out of the box to them and Microsoft pays OEMs nicely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2014 Sep 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote: I agree, I know nothing about Linux,

Sorry, what are you doing in this thread? Also as you stated before "Now every decision is based on how much can I make."- are you also getting paid for talking about things that you have no knowledge about? Also it's not true that Adobe has never made or does not make any product for Linux. There are few Adobe products for Linux.

It's pity that many industry experts still don't understand that when in Linux community people talk about free, that's free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free beer". Linux users pay money for the softwares and services they use if needed. One prime example is Google's app store.

The thread is about having creative cloud for Linux- which I think is very legit request. I am paying money for Adobe Cloud, and as it's customer I have the right to request for feature that is valuable to me. Now it's up to Adobe to listen to it's customers who actually "pay" for using the software and services or to listen to "self-claimed experts and professionals" who have no knowledge or whatsoever on the things they talk about. The danger of having many unsatisfied customers is as soon as a disruption happens in this industry (without any doubt right now Adobe makes some really great tools), the business may collapse as like many other companies in the history. With the rise of Linux based Operating Systems (like Android or Ubuntu) I will hope Adobe will keep leading instead of following and falling behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2014 Sep 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everybody!

I got an idea. Somebody said in this forum that we should write to investors. So... Let's do!!!

But to who should we write?

Yes! I'm nominating Mr. Kelly Barlow from ValueAct Capital and member of the board at Adobe. He's financially connected with Adobe, has influence, but isn't the number one at Adobe. Therefore he should be more accessible and easier to contact. You'll find a contact at ValueAct's website. But it's not a direct contact. Since I'm not from the USA for some of you may it be easier to get contact information. Just post it here at Adobes very own forum. SO everybody can contact him and flood him with our topic. But be nice and polite. Being a dickhead will not get us any further. But say what you need. Say it directly to someone from Adobe - not to some poor support guy.

Let me know if somebody gets the contact.

I still love Photoshop (and I'm a subscriber to the PS CC...) but I hate Microsoft. Linux's the way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is only one significant hurdle to switching the desktops of ALL our users to Linux - Adobe Creative Suite!

Why would we want to move away from Windows or Mac?  For us it is really about locking down user interactions and creating stable desktops. With Linux we can deploy standard solutions that reduce our risk profile. Some people think that Linux saves $$, but that is like saying that an electric car is cheaper than a conventional car - it neglects the infrastructure and purchase costs while focusing totally on the drive time costs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many Linux users would it take for Adobe to create a Linux version of CC? Is that even the issue or are there other reasons preventing Adobe? In short, what can the Linux community do to help make this happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might make more sense for Adobe to just make their apps Wine compatible and avoid the issue completely - some older versions of Adobe products already run under Wine without difficulty, others are broke in that respect. Jump over the the discussion at https://forums.adobe.com/message/4302334

There is a version compatibility list  at https://appdb.winehq.org/ that shows several Adobe products running with "minor problems". I've tried running Adobe products under Wine in the past and got wildly weird results - some of which were not minor.

The underlying hardware related code is no longer an issue now that MacOS runs on Intel - much of the assembly level code is probably already interchangeable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many Linux users would it take for Adobe to create a Linux

version of CC?

Certainly not the 5 usual suspects you see hanging around here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only adobe can answer that. And I am sure they are a great coding house, but I would bet they would need a little more then the 5 lurkers here. LOL...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite a lot, apparently. The getsatisfaction thread they linked at the beginning of this thread has over 15,000 followers. That would be far more than enough to catch the attention of most companies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but it is a multiplicative effect. Something like: for every active person who posts there might be 100 people who just watch the flow of discussion, 1,000 who share the sentiment but don't actually visit the forum and 10,000 who might ultimately be impacted..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree. We are talking about people adopting. Here is the thing, people like myself will have either dual boot or a home machine that the family uses that's running windblows and use CC on it. However, let's look at the numbers.

Assume makes on average about $500.00 per cc user.

Also, let's assume 100% of supposed 15k will bite.

That's about 7.5 million the first year. No problem at all. Makes perfect business sense.

However, let's assume only 10% adopt (which I am sure Adobe has more research than myself; but, persons like myself that have already a cc account would just reactivate it on Linux, and people that aren't really about to pay the $500 yearly cost for the products. Perhaps only get membership on single app basis as needed. Just saying.

So @ 10% that 15k is generating about $750,000.00

Also, assume Adobe needed 15 new Linux developers.

Each would average a 50k salary and you are down to 0 profit.

And considering Adobe is an enterprise and they are not in the habit of hiring and firing; these would most likely be benefited and continue to work after the first year.

The numbers don't make sense to me and I know very little about business and clearly wouldn't make sense to Adobe either. It is a dead horse and we keep beating it.

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is for sure that the graphic design business is dominated by Mac OS and that isn't going to change in the near future.

But let's just focus on the film biz for a moment - Linux is pretty common amongst VFX shops. Eyeon (Fusion - a competitor to After Effects and just acquired by Blackmagic) made a big effort to get their products to run using Wine several years ago. A lot of the Hollywood shops have switched from competing products in recent years - did that decision have anything to do with Linux compatibility? As I recall at least one shop (was it Digital Domain?) went so far as to actively contribute to an open source VFX project as a means of reducing their render node licensing costs. Specialty software (Massive was built at WETA to solve a problem with the Lord of the Rings) has long been built by large studios. The ILM/Lucasfilm/Pixar core VFX & animation technologies were all designed and built in house, then seeded a host of commercial products - some of which made their way back into the studios.

For all the hype Apple made with their Final Cut products, Hollywood shops remain overwhelmingly Avid based. Adobe's Premiere product competes mostly in the non-Hollywood market segment against FC, Vegas, etc. as well as Avid. Linux video editing still seems to be something confined to the university environment, where several open source projects have been developed - whether due to the lack of commercially available products or as a result of student projects that caught on.

Linux users also benefit from the longstanding publishing demands of the university environment. My first encounter with publishing was nroff/troff some 30 years ago on a BSD unix platform. As a student you tend not to think about how expensive that PDP-11/70 and Xerox printer combo really was - in reality the Macintosh and HP/Apple Laser printer were a far cheaper combination. Pagemaker was the right product at the right time for the business community. Point is that all those old unix tools still work in Linux, GIMP can do just about everything Photoshop can do, etc., etc. and so forth.

So is Linux a viable market? Did most of the Adobe developers cut their teeth on Linux/Unix/BSD systems in college?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cutting your teeth on BSD and other *nix like environments doesn't make you a developer for those platforms. Reason those platforms worked well in Universities is that the student free labor was available to develop the programs and the cheap reuse of the products certainly beats Micro$loth / Apple enterprise solutions particularly back in my day (late 80s into early 90s). Anyway, for true video development particularly in universities and non-profit space, Linux is the winner; however, I am sure all professional houses actually have windblows boxes now. So, unless Adobe (which I think is what you are suggesting?) wants to attract people in the industry when they are young (sort of like what Apple tried unsuccessfully with student populations with apples for student program and sweet pricing points on apple hardware / software for colleges) this might not be a great good reason as it has been shown over and over again, except for students that start their own projects / businesses out of college, they will use whatever they are given by their employer. And if their employers has any mild rate of success; they will be able to spend the extra 2k to have a really nice windblows box laying around. More and more people are using Linux for different reasons here and there. As a code developer, I love and have invaluable tools on Linux; however, I would bet that the majority of people (not in technology) using Linux is because of the added attractiveness of a free OS and mostly free apps. I would love CC on my Android Tablets and Linux boxes can very easily emulate those. Actually, that might be the real ticket. Does CC support Apple IOS solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recent news is that many of the open source projects have fizzled out due to lack of participation. Not a new story - it was always harder to convince a bunch of other people to work on something unknown that to do it yourself.

I agree that cutting your teeth on *nix doesn't make you a developer - only time tears and sweat can do that.

The fundamental equations for image manipulation are really simple and old hat these days. Most of a developers time is spent in the GUI world trying to make things look & feel consistent while paying lip service to clean codebase security.

Personally I think that the attractiveness of Linux is stability. I can (and am currently doing so as this is written) update the kernel of a server and use the same tools I learned to use 10 or 20 years ago.  With Window$ I'd have to relearn the entire admin toolkit every time a new release comes out (and I did so from NT 3.1 until Windows Server 2003 - don't get me started on Winserver 2013 (pay someone else to deal with that mess)).

I stumbled across something from Adobe recently that looked like it might have a tablet in mind, but can't remember the context.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a dead horse, but I just wanted to voice my opinion as well.  A Linux client would be nice.  I recently signed up for CC Photoshop, and was pleased with the cost and features.  Unfortunately, the hassle of dual-booting just for one program has meant I do more and more work in GIMP instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. And as filmographie points, I just am testing out Windblows 10 on my only windows system. Lol. Yeah, nightmare and no stability. Gets better quickly; however, I would love to have CHiP promise from back in the day. Hardware doesn't matter, all system hardware virtualization and you can run 30 OS's on top of a hardware ROM system. This was talked about back in the mid 90s. Reboots would take seconds and file space would be shared between any number of OS's you may be running and hardware would be easy to use from any brand / platform you could run any OS. Yeah, Apple and Micro$loth shot that horse really quickly. However, the technology is out there to do some amazing things; just need some deep pockets to support and propel the ideas. If I can have PS, Code CC, dreamweaver, and adobe suite in Linux; I would be in heaven and never use anything other than for the rest of my life except for customer deployments and such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2014 Oct 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We also need ADE on Linux. As someone already said, if it's working on OS/X, why not on Linux ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just remember that over 90% of the work on a software product is directly related to the GUI and interface to the OS. That means only 10% of the code does the actual work advertised by the program. (I found this out when we took a program from DOS to Windows 3.0 - in DOS every line of code actually "did something" - in Windows most of the code was about where something was going to be placed, what colors, etc.)

Since the Mac and Windows environments have well defined system routines much of the grunt work is handed off to these embedded tools. Some of the problems with a stable Linux implementation might be related to the varying flavors of KDE, Gnome, X-Windows etc. present on any given Linux desktop. Wine is supposed to transparently overcome these issues, but it does not cover every quirky shortcut or undocumented feature used by a native app programmer. This is why Excel users will NEVER be satisfied using Libre or Open Office. The Microsoft Office programming team has always used undocumented features of the Windows environment knowing that this would insure product lock-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much can you talk about it?

Download Google Web Designer. Works in Ubuntu, and other systems!

Animations + Web development:

http://www.google.com/webdesigner/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines