• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Creative Cloud applications on Ubuntu/Linux

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud does not support Ubuntu/Linux. 

Please see the minimum system requirements needed to use Creative Cloud:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 693 Replies 693
Participant ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

while apple and microsoft will almost certainly be having an influence on adobe, I don't think apple would buy adobe, purely because of the battle between fcpx and premiere and because they wouldn't make software for windows but would have too much outcry if they stopped it. plus it would be perhaps even worse than you realise because apple and their mac computers are abandoning the pro market that was once the justification of mac and is now trying to get average consumers interested, most of which can't afford macs anyway, so the efforts would be more aimed at casual users than professionals, which is why me and my team at work moved from fcp to premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Windows 7 came out, first stable version in my opinion for creative work, I left Apple and have never looked back. There is justification for the cost of their machines anymore. At one time there was because OS X was only stable OS for heavy graphics work. I would have jumped to Linux if it were available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Creative Cloud is not supported on Linux

Check the below link to see system requirements for Creative Cloud :

System requirements | Creative Cloud

Thanks

Varun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌‌i use custom PCs exclusively in my home workstations because Mac hardware is not even close to the same performance for money ratio and Linux is the perfect OS on all of them with windows on one as secondary OS just for Adobe cc. I'm still waiting for Adobe to have cc on Linux so I can ditch windows on that system and put Adobe on the rest too

@Varuns we know it's not on Linux, the whole point of this thread is asking why not and trying mak the point that it is the an extremely desired feature, perhaps even the most requested feature from the professional user base

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VarunS, we are well aware of that - which is the point of this thread.  We would like to see a Linux version for those of us who are unhappy with the direction of both Microsoft Windows and Mac OSX.

I am slowly approaching the end of life for my iMac and have grown continuously unhappy with the progress Mac OSX has been taking for the last several years.  I don't want to buy another Mac system if I can avoid it.  But Windows is worse, so the question becomes do I buy another Mac so I can use Adobe products or do I take the leap to Linux and try to live with what's available there? I would love to not have to wrestle with that question, but if I decide to go Linux and abandon Adobe then it's unlikely I'll come back.  Literally every other tool I use is available on Linux and in some cases works better there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Please follow the thread : Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)

Regards

Varun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we are following that thread. this is that thread. I'd understand if you were telling us to follow one the other threads asking for cc on linux - of which there are many - but you have told us to follow the thread we are on. this was as helpful as when a staff member said that adobe apps apps are for desktops. we are already on the threads. we already know all about the software and the OS's it can run on. what we dont know is why adobe refuses to give the customers what they want when it will be so beneficial to them and not require much effort on their part. can you actually give us some relevant information please? or better yet, give s what we ask for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sympathize with your distress. We work in both Mac (Yosemite) & Windows (Windows 7 Pro) environments networked with a Samba server (Linux) and notice very little real difference other than the annoying stuff like using Control-C to copy in Windows vs Command-C to copy in Mac.Windows machines do seem easier to use in a mixed Windows/Mac/Linux networking environment than Macs.

As for new desktop computers - don't waste your money on a new machine. Right now there are many 5 year old 12 core workstations flooding the market. Typical is a Dell Precision T5500 with 24 gig RAM, 2x6 core Xeon processors and an NVidia Quadro/CUDA graphics card for under $1,000. This is adequate to edit in Premiere Pro CC2015 in HD1080 working with AVCHD files.

That is certainly cheaper than a brand new Mac Pro and in the same horsepower range.

As for CC for Linux - the major stumbling block for Adobe has always been percentage of market share.That may change in the near future since Citrix and VMware have recently decided to deploy virtual Linux desktops as a standard user option. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/07/linux_on_the_desktop_is_so_hot_theres_now_a_fight_over_it/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2015 Aug 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes we sadly had to notice that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and thats the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is without doubt that Apple and Microsoft are influencing Adobe to

not support Linux.

Adobe is completely independent influenced by its stock holders NOT

Microsoft. Adobe can only provide software which it can control

remotely. In Windows and Apple Mac, they have inbuilt security features

and licenses can be controlled; In Linux this is not possible. In the

bad old days, we had DOD and Windows 3.1 on which there was no control

mechanism and people were copying and distribution software all over the

place. Linux hasn't improved at all as far as its security features are

concerned for the developers of software applications. Adobe needs this

security before it can spend time just to talk about it, never mind to

plan for it in a board meeting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has nothing to do with control. The same people who would modify Linux to get around licensing are the same people who would modify the software from Adobe to get around the licensing. A pirate is a pirate regardless of the OS. Adobe on Linux is not a licensing issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a simple answer that cannot be given by any official user on this thread. This is a powerful synergy with vested interests that sit far above Adobe itself.

Adobe is not hurt if you take your business elsewhere, because you won't. You will have to buy into expensive Windows or Mac products that are designated as a commercial platform for this. That's about it. No matter how many millions of votes you put in, it will remain this way. With discontinued wine support you will not have a choice, but to buy into a Windows or Mac license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TThe problem is not that we won't but that for some things we can't. we have alternatives for some of the suite and some software that works difderntly to achieve similar results but the continued Lack of support is meaning that some of are trying harder to find these alternative and so developers are working hard to make them. Here's a list of what I've used from Adobe: audition, premiere, Photoshop, dreamweaver, after effects and flash. I haven't used audition in over a year because I now prefer ardour which runs perfectly on Linux. I ‌use kdenlive instead of premiere now in about 60% of my videos and there's also lightworks which my friend uses and says is pretty good. I now use pixeluvo instead of of photoshop (I don't think I even have ps installed anymore apart from one laptop that isn't even used for anything but sennheisers wsm software). I prefer code view anyway in dream weaver so I've replaced it with bluefish and manage sites with filezilla. I don't do flash development anymore at all so that's gone. My entire time in windows is installing windows updates, edit one or two of my weeks videos in premiere (one of which may soon move to kdenlive in Linux anyway), add the 2d motion graphics in after effects to one of the videos then reboot into Linux for literally everything else I do. If Adobe cc were on Linux I'd move my video production entirely back to premiere and after effects because I love the workflow but at this moment I'm considering buying the Linux releases of davinci resolve and fusion 8 when its released, meaning my cc subscription is pointless and then cancelled. I've even been looking at blender to take some of the load (on a side note, it just runs faster in Linux and using Linux instead of windows when I was testing a CPU render cut 1/5 on the render time and gpu renders were about 10% faster even on my underpowered temporary GPU)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to clarify, correct me if I am wrong:

To be exact, there is no Linux Version of the Davinci Resolve Software. You can only buy it in conjunction with the Resolve Control Panel as the normal dongles only work on MacOS and Windows, at least referring to Blackmagic. And even if that's not true the only way to install Resolve on Linux is to use Blackmagic's own CentOS distribution where it is integrated into. Which is a pain-in-the ass from an administrative point of view having to reinstall the OS for only installing one application.

If there was an easy way to use Resolve on Linux, I would have left Adobe for good a long time ago. I am primarily a Nuke user and I am considering using Nuke Studio for all editorial purposes. Unfortunately, it is still very buggy in some regards, especially when taking the price point into account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're pretty much right there I'm afraid. the linux version will only run on the custom version version of centOS that comes with the control surface, which is a real pain, but at least it can run on linux. some of the people have even suggested that adobe do the same which would be slightly less annoying since it would just be an OS that comes pre loaded with the entire CC which I know would still be a pain but at least it would be something

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But there is still the other issue if the linux version actually runs with the MacOS/Windows-Dongles. Have you checked that? And even if it does now, it isn't said that future versions will as, officially, it is not supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andy_bob_newton good post regarding alternatives. I was educated on the monopoly-holding software packages for modelling, animation and video editing but the inconvenience of virtualising/dual-booting/WINE'ing the commercial de factos had me perservere with the open source alternatives which I now prefer. GIMP, Inkscape, kdenlive sometimes in conjunction with the mind-bending Blender for live multi-cam cuts for a Premiere/After Effects-like pairing.  

Adobe's reasoning seems to be based on the platform usage/share of 0% for their products with Linux although I'm sure that I'm not alone in being a lost sale/subscription. They're not that silly though - this is political because everyone knows it does not take  alot to port something from MacOS to Linux. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌tthey claim as there default copy and paste response that not enough people are on Linux and willing to pay for the software on Linux but we all know this simply isnt true because there are dozens of forum posts and petitions, some with thousands of supporters. Most of these people are either current subscribers looking for something on Linux and probably considering alternatives (people who pay Adobe now but will stop unless Linuxsupport is given) or people who only use Linux and want to buy Adobe cc but can't because of lack of Linux support (people Adobe could be getting money from but are choosing not to). I'm in the first category but can confirm that thousands in both categories are willing to pay for cc if it is available and better than the alternatives. Much of the software in cc is (for now) preferable to the alternatives for most people and the workflows across the suite is important for some but while cc is unavailable to us, the alternatives are getting better and so some are sacrificing the workflows between software and switching to the alternatives like the ones I've mentioned. As soon as I get time to learn more about blender, that might take away the last few reasons to justify cc at all and then I'm gone from cc. At which point I'll start to suggest we do the same at the organisation I work at since we are currently using Mac pros for video editing in cc but they are aging and going to die soon so im considering much more powerful linux workstations to replace them since our audio guys already use Linux in everything from our live mixer to our recording rig to ediying and I'm on both teams, and enjoy working on the Linux systems much more. most of the team I work with also have their own subscriptions for taking work home and personal projects, only two of them are faithful to Mac and all the others prefer performance for money factor and Linux can't be beaten there but on Mac and PC creative cloud is the best offering I've tried. So if the organisation moves to blender, kdenlive and pixeluvo which it may soon do, many of the team personal systems will too. So even for a comparatively small team like the ones I'm working with, that's hundreds of perhaps thousands of pounds lost through cancelled subscriptions coming soon through lack of Linux support Just from one organisation. If cc comes to Linux, there won't be any more losses from me or the teams I work with and the audio guys might even return to cc. Besides being persuaded by Apple and or Microsoft not to, there is no reason not to release cc for Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might consider where the software for some of these products was originally developed as a clue to the present state of affairs.

ILM/Lucasfilm/Pixar (I remember when they all shared a few buildings in San Rafael) was forced to create many of the tools for animated film production themselves and several of their early employees transferred their expertise to the commercial world. Bay area companies like Macromedia, Adobe, Red Giant, Apple and many others that were eventually bought out were the beneficiaries of that expertise.

In the south, companies like Digital Domain initially developed what became Nuke as an in-house tool so they could affordably employ hundreds of Linux workstations at a time to perform specialized tasks like masking and compositing for vfx. Nuke eventually was sold off in Digital Domain's bankruptcy.Note that Nuke has always been Linux native due to its original design criteria.

Blender started as a Dutch crowdsourcing project that became totally open source in the process of development. It is the most successful of many crowdfunded attempts in a similar vein. (Over the years I've put money into several of these that fizzled out before they became viable.)

Trying to trace the threads of today's tools is a complex and sometimes frustrating process. For example: After Effects incorporates source code that was originally developed by Automasker - an Israeli company, the Cult Effects plugins developed by a Swedish company and several other products from third partymergers & acquisitions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌while tthis was interesting to read and does say why the different software started on the OSs they did and why nuke has always been Linux native, there are still no reasons that I can see for not having adobes cc to be on Linux such as needing specific characteristics of of OS. I know it's extremely possible that libraries were used originally that were OS specific but the fact that there are both windows and Mac versions mean that either those libraries have been replaced with adobes own or that there are now cross platform versions of those libraries. If those libraries are already availbe now then Adobe has no reason not to use them so can release their software for Linux when they choose to and if thday are only using adobes own libraries then surely it's a matter of just repackaging into .deb or .rpm and letting the customers have what they want. Either way it is not that difficult to create and while testing would take time, it would not be an impossibly huge task, perhaps they could even just test it to a point then release a beta version and get users to finish the testing and even that would satisfy most of the people here until a full version would be released

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the guys above you just stated, the longer Adobe remains stubborn and arrogant about Linux, the faster developers will achieve something better or equal enough to adobe that people will absolutely start making the switch.  For them or anyone to think they will always have dominance is very narrow-minded. I already use a licensed copy of PS on linux through wine. And have succesfully tried out the trial versions of CC om linux through wine. I will never go back to windows. and simply can't afford going mac, although I do love mac. so I am one paying customer that will drop Adobe like a bad habit when I discover that great new up and comer, just to have something native. And If you think I am the only one out there, your all nutters. All I can say is watch and see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nemopaice1 wrote:

the longer Adobe remains stubborn and arrogant about Linux, the faster developers will achieve something better or equal enough to adobe that people will absolutely start making the switch.

I have been hearing this for the past 30 years but the progress seems to be very slow indeed.  Is it because Linux Developers are hobbyists and so they only do something if they feel like doing something?  Me thinks so.

Microsoft, Apple, Adobe and Google are run as a business and they employ people to write codes for them and things do get done pretty fast as far as I can see.

Is Linux likely to come out of the incubator in the near future, do you know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

I have been hearing this for the past 30 years but the progress seems to be very slow indeed.  Is it because Linux Developers are hobbyists and so they only do something if they feel like doing something?  Me thinks so.

May I ask you which part of the Adobe lineup you use to earn your money with? Because for anyone who works with moving images and has seen a bit more than his own computer your statements make no sense at all.

I think this might be more of a conflict between the different use cases of the Adobe CC than one of different platforms. While it might be pointless to have CC on Linux for web and print, it is close-to-mandatory for video.

I rarely use Adobe nowadays, when I do it's primarily on the few occasions when there are by-products to create for web or print. I have a CS6 lying around here anyways and a CC subscription is very low in price compared to other software packages I use (Comp,3d). The main reason I don't transition to Linux completely is in fact Resolve and not the CC.

Adobe should be very careful. With free Resolve and Fusion and non-commercial Nuke Studio out there loosing ground might happen faster than some people think. Why start with a low-end software which costs you money right from the start when you get the high-end ones for free? There you can begin to pay when you earn money with it (Nuke) or even continue then and only upgrade if you need the advanced features (Blackmagic).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash is going extinct for online ads till end of year and it is/was the main reason for me to stick to CC and therefore to Mac. For HTML5 ads Edge Animate is okay, but there are plenty of alternatives like Google Web Designer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines